• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another question about grammar

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Dear forum,

which is the most suitable adjective for the following sentence?

When I turn on the TV today, there is almost the same nonsense on it as 30 years ago. Almost all of the newer / more recent programs were probably sold to streaming providers ...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While I prefer the latter, either is correct.

It would appear no one really cares about grammar anymore, anyway. During my trip yesterday, I was very disappointed driving through Ohio to see all their lighted message boards saying...

IF YOU FEEL DIFFERENT
YOU DRIVE DIFFERENT

Really?! Kids read this stuff!! :mad:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear forum,

When I turn on the TV today, there is almost the same nonsense on it as 30 years ago. Almost all of the newer / more recent programs were probably sold to streaming providers ...

The latter sounds more natural to my ears, but both are grammatically correct.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Dear forum,

I'd go with "more recent"

I think that sounds much better and somehow more intelligent

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Dear forum,

I have a pretty good sense of what "recent" means. As for newer, is begs the question: "newer than what?".

A note of caution: my grammar are typically lousy.