1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Annihilationism?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Eddi, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    Annihilationism is wishful thinking. Rob Bell: Populating Hell | Good Fight Ministries

2. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,470
    Religion:
    Christian
    For Common Descent? No way!

If it was so “solid”, there’d be no effort to overhaul evolution...but there is, due to the MS’s inadequate - inept? - ability to explain the evidence...

See “The Explanatory Deficits of the Modern Synthesis,” by Gerd Müller.

You’ve been hoodwinked, my friend.

3. epronovost

epronovost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,575
    Religion:
    Atheist/non-religious
    The extended evolutionary synthesis still support common descent and still support the bulk of the MS theory of evolution. What Gerd Muller and 14 others have suggested is to add to MS, not radically change it nor fallsify it. There is no possible reasonnable doubt for common descent due to evidence in genetics variation. Note that extended evolutionary synthesis isn't widely accepted yet since it was developped only 12 to 15 years ago though it made some good points.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Brian Haines

Brian Haines New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Christian

It is a good question. One thing to consider is that it seems Jesus taught rather clearly that (1) there would be a resurrection of all people, both good and evil (John 5:28-29), and that the results of being judged in that moment were eternal life or eternal destruction, which Jesus describes as unending torment (Mark 9:43-45). It seems clear that the writers of the NT believed that all men woudl receive an imperishable body on the day of resurrection (1 Cor. 15), and that because of this those who were not with God would be left behind to suffer eternally

5. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    The list on your Wikipedia link omits one of the most famous examples, "... should not perish but have everlasting life".

(I've never worked out why anyone would want everlasting life anyway ─ to do what, exactly?
    )

6. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    God didn't just die on the cross so that we could be forgiven of our sins, but also that we could come before Him. 'For the Life of the World' Explores the Purpose of Salvation - Chuck Colson, Daily Devotional

7. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
  8. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    Why do the details matter? Isn't it more important for people to search the Bible being real and to have a relationship with God? A Christian Review of the Movie, “Heaven is for Real”

9. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    You mean you want to get to heaven without knowing what you're doing? Signing up to eternity in an autocracy that's also a theocracy? No prospectus, no vote, no breeding or other life path, ever-increasing overcrowding, no purpose, no deadlines, compulsory adoration, all day every day forever ─ no, they're not selling anything I want.

I'd be surprised if anybody who thought about it would want it either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Bible does talk about the future because the Bible is there to teach us more about God. I agree your statement about God does reveal things to us about the future regarding what we will be doing. 2 Timothy 3:15. And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. There are different interpretations of what the new heaven and new earth will be but there are some things that are revealed. What will we be doing in Heaven? What will we do in Heaven? | GotQuestions.org

11. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    Different interpretations? That means no one actually has a clue, doesn't it?

Do you seriously think anything like a real heaven, however well or ill defined, could possibly exist outside of your imagination?

Where? How? Why?

And you still haven't told me what you intend to do forever.

Maybe you should make yourself somewhat more familiar with physics and with human psychology?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    The meaning of life is to have a relationship with God. I don't think God is looking for perfect people, but for people who are going to seek Him. You also have to strive. The idea of heaven is about walking with God in the Garden of Eden like Adam and Eve did. The fall of humanity happened for the same reason the fall of the angels happened-people wanted to be their own god, thinking it will lead to freedom, when all it leads to is being enslaved to our pride and arrogance.

13. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    The meaning of life is to survive long enough to reproduce your species ─ and since we're gregarious primates, maybe to take pride in leaving the tribe better off than when we arrived.

If you doubt it, consider that the only reason any of us are here is because in each case every single one of our ancestors back across three and a half billion years or more of life on earth did exactly that ─ survived long enough to reproduce.

But meanwhile, back at our topic, you're not answering my questions. What, exactly, do you intend to do forever?

14. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    The idea of heaven has to do with the meaning of life is to know God. What will we be doing in Heaven? What will we do in Heaven? | GotQuestions.org

15. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    The concept of heaven in the Bible is about service and God's glory. What will we be doing in Heaven? What will we do in Heaven? | GotQuestions.org

17. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,271
    Religion:
    Spiritual but not religious
    Well I don't believe in the Bible so that's not much of a selling point.

What if instead of torturing people or annihilating them God reforms them, wouldn't that be compatible with the mercy of God?

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    That's all vague in the extreme.

Please describe a typical day in heaven as you foresee it for yourself. In specifics, not all these entirely unspecific assertions.

And in your own words, please ─ no links or videos or the like.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    Revelation 22:3

No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him.

Revelation 2:7

Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God

1st Corinthians 13:12

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but qhen face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

20. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,863
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    Now here you are in Heaven and it's, let's say, Tuesday.

What are you actually going to do this Tuesday? Watch TV? Take in a movie? Go to choir practice?

What?

Please address the question this time.

And if you don't know the answer, just say "I don't know".

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1