• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animism

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
I would say a theology is a socio-cultural set of unifying spiritual ideals, concepts and stories.

Though, I suppose that individuals can develop their own theology as well. :shrug:

I guess that's my point. The theology is different for each culture, existing in a network of dialogs concerning itself among individuals. Creating one that encompasses everyone that could be described as animist seems like too big a category.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I guess that's my point. The theology is different for each culture, existing in a network of dialogs concerning itself among individuals. Creating one that encompasses everyone that could be described as animist seems like too big a category.

I would agree with that. As I see it, for example, Roman Catholic theology can be summed up by the church in a tome that's more than 800 pages--a "universal" explanation of what the church and therefore the followers do or should believe about virtually every aspect of life, faith, etc.

Animism in general seems pretty simple to define, if mind-bending for some people (for example, the idea that ideas are spirits...). But I'm not sure there could be a universal theology of animism as there is with the RC church. I mean, there COULD be, but it would suffer the same problems that the RC church confronts: many members who are unaware of what all those beliefs are, and actually hold other beliefs while professing to be members of the group that follows the spelled out theology.

I see animism as being highly individualistic, and usually embedded within a particular culture or tradition, and therefore not really amenable to any "universal" sort of theological construction.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
There are some shared concepts among all animists... like the central importance of natural and ancestral spirits.

wa:do

Sylvan

Oh certainly pw.

I'm just trying to imagine a gathering of elders from all available indigenous religious tradition corralled into some kind of conference in order to produce a document similar to a Catholic catechism or something. I just can't imagine it being done. That important spiritual concepts embodying the essential diversity in these traditions would pass the dense translation barrier involved in many of the tribal languages seems difficult to believe. Not in general concept, but at the level of minutia. Many things would get lost in translation.

I think the new age idea that the secret heart of each tradition has the same spiritual core is in a sense a lie or misdirection. And a way to put an easy balm on the wounded hearts of people damaged by modernity and seek a justification to appropriate these traditions for themselves. Such as Michael Harner's core shamanism and similar systems. Each tradition has at the heart of its path distinct ways and attitudes, for lack of better terms.

I see animism as being highly individualistic, and usually embedded within a particular culture or tradition, and therefore not really amenable to any "universal" sort of theological construction.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Oh certainly pw.

I'm just trying to imagine a gathering of elders from all available indigenous religious tradition corralled into some kind of conference in order to produce a document similar to a Catholic catechism or something. I just can't imagine it being done. That important spiritual concepts embodying the essential diversity in these traditions would pass the dense translation barrier involved in many of the tribal languages seems difficult to believe. Not in general concept, but at the level of minutia. Many things would get lost in translation.
I don't think you could get all Christians together to do that. :D

I think the new age idea that the secret heart of each tradition has the same spiritual core is in a sense a lie or misdirection. And a way to put an easy balm on the wounded hearts of people damaged by modernity and seek a justification to appropriate these traditions for themselves. Such as Michael Harner's core shamanism and similar systems. Each tradition has at the heart of its path distinct ways and attitudes, for lack of better terms.
to an extent I agree.
Though I do think there is a basic "something" at the base of every religion/culture shared by all humanity... an evolutionary "humanness" that unites us, no matter what stuff we pile on top of it.

wa:do

Sylvan

I don't think you could get all Christians together to do that. :D

Certainly not. :rolleyes: But the Catholic church for instance, does such a thing, as do other smaller aggregations of believers. Providing concision in the form of a written document for a particular affinity group is the activity of theology, as I see it. One could say the same of a tribal council which decides how such and such a thing will be taught, or should be viewed. But for some reason I think less of the former activity rather than the latter. They seem like different activities to me in some essential but undefinable ways. Maybe just by the scale of the population densities being effected, or the intrinsic historical relationship between the ability to make and enforce these definitions and the ability to enforce and maintain political power.

I do think there is a basic "something" at the base of every religion/culture shared by all humanity... an evolutionary "humanness" that unites us, no matter what stuff we pile on top of it.

Oh yes I agree. There is indeed "something" there. What that something is, and the search for it, is a beautiful thing. It is so sacred to me I am hesitant to even put words to it, as they would then immediately confine part of its nature. Search for and contemplation of this is certainly not to be discouraged.

But due to the poison of previous associations I would prefer the word theology not be appended to discussion of that something, or really anything else ever again... preferably. Maybe I'm just bitter, but that is one baby I am fine to throw out with its bath water. Or more of an old school "we can't have any more mouths to feed here so expose it to the elements" kind of thing.

Ferne

*bump* :)

So, a question to my fellow animists:

Did you become an animist, or just realize you were one?

I think in the last few months it just finally dawned on me that that's what I am: it wasn't a conscious decision to become one.

How old were you for either?

Was it by realization, or by an experience?

I guess, partly, it was years of interacting with trees: gifts, energy work, communication etc

If I am comfortable under the umbrella of any term to describe my beliefs, it would be animism (with a smidge of deism thrown in).

My belief system underwent a cataclysmic overhaul at the age of 10, when I nearly drowned. Until then, I was a good Catholic altar boy. After that, I began to ask questions and like many questioners, was unhappy with the Church's answers.

What burned into my brain was what I saw after I'd been dragged safely to shore and sagged, gasping, to the ground. I opened one eye and saw a few blades of grass growing amidst the mostly-sandy beach. I noted, with a growing sense of surprise and awe that not only was each blade of grass visually and completely distinct from its neighbour - but so was every single grain of sand. None were the same colour, shape or size.

As I marveled at this, I was struck with the inarguable certainty that each blade of grass and each grain of sand were connected - with each other and with the whole of everything else - including me.

I've spent much of the intervening 50 years distilling my experience and trying to follow the ripples. I didn't have the "classic" NDE with the white light and comforting sense of the presence of loved ones who'd gone before. But what I experienced was enough to convince me (eventually - it was a process) that all living things are connected. And more things are "alive" than most people would credit.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Glad this was bumped.

Fellow animist, hello. Although I must admit I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. I've naturally always viewed all things to have some kind of significance, and the sensation of all things having some kind of essence" increased at a certain time. Once I had a very vivid experience of stones singing to me. And I love trees because of the personalities I sense in them.

At the same time I wonder whether it's just my mind having gotten stuck on a childish way to look at things. I don't literally think stones or trees have souls. So me and my perception are in conflict with each other.

.... and at the same time I work with spirits, not being sure of their status either. I'm making my life a lot too complicated. :D