• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the welfare roles continue to climb

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The man in the story is an anomaly and a fraud.

Percentage of US Population on Welfare in 2012
4.6%
Percentage of US Population on Welfare in 1980
10%

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Why is he a fraud?
(I know this is digressing, but what else can we do with a thread like this?)

It's not possible to have 30 kids and then somehow not be able to figure out that you're going to need more money to raise more. You should start figuring out about how much money it takes to support your kids, oh, by the first two.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not possible to have 30 kids and then somehow not be able to figure out that you're going to need more money to raise more. You should start figuring out about how much money it takes to support your kids, oh, by the first two.
That doesn't seem inherently fraudulent. He certainly likes fathering lots'o kids he won't support.
It strikes me as very wrong that he foists his burdens upon others, but this doesn't require
that he misrepresent himself to to mothers-to-be. Moreover, his hobby appears to be perfectly
legal.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Desmond Hatchet is in his third year of a six year sentence with the Tennessee Department of Corrections. His criminal history includes multiple assaults, multiple thefts, aggravated assault, multiple evading arrests, and several driving assaults.
As a prison inmate, he is hardly suffering unduly from child support payments.

esmith

Veteran Member
Ok, so there's a fraud who wants to abuse a system for personal gain. What's your point?

My point that there are those in society that assume that the government will eventually take responsibility for his lack of responsibility.

esmith

Veteran Member
Desmond Hatchet is in his third year of a six year sentence with the Tennessee Department of Corrections. His criminal history includes multiple assaults, multiple thefts, aggravated assault, multiple evading arrests, and several driving assaults.
As a prison inmate, he is hardly suffering unduly from child support payments.

Not sure where you are getting your information; but my source says that he has a minimum wage job.

Source: (again will use other source than Fox)

Man who fathered 30 kids with 11 women seeks child support help - latimes.com

Then again, in another LA Times story says he is behind bars.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...odad-questions-swirl-20120521,0,5163790.story

It really doesn't matter where he is. Unfortunately a court ordered vasectomy is not possible.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My point that there are those in society that assume that the government will eventually take responsibility for his lack of responsibility.

That's very insightful of you to notice that. There are also those in society who believe the moon landing was a hoax, that global climate change isn't happening, and that flu vaccinations cause autism. Some people are ignorant or perhaps just stupid, I guess.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And there are those in society who use absurdly atypical examples to construct or bolster absurdly idiotic generalizations. Therefore?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The man in the story is an anomaly and a fraud.

Percentage of US Population on Welfare in 2012
4.6%
Percentage of US Population on Welfare in 1980
10%

These stats do not take into consideration any of the following programs:

WIC
Food stamps
Subsidized housing
Unemployment
Disability
Cell phone program (free cell phones and minutes for low income)
Childrens health insurance programs
Head Start
Free and reduced school meals (breakfast and lunch)
Vaccines
Medicaid
Adoption tax credits
Child care tax credits
Native American benefits
Education grants
Renters assistance programs
Mortgage assistance programs
Home energy assistance programs

Just to name a few programs - many of which were not in place in the 1980s.
Government Benefits, Grants, and Financial Aid for Citizens | USA.gov

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Not sure where you are getting your information; but my source says that he has a minimum wage job.

Source: (again will use other source than Fox)

Man who fathered 30 kids with 11 women seeks child support help - latimes.com

Then again, in another LA Times story says he is behind bars.
Tennessee man dubbed 'Octodad': Questions and more questions - latimes.com

There is some confusion on the matter:
Tennessee man dubbed 'Octodad': Questions and more questions - latimes.com
Now, back to the "Where is he?" question: A man named Desmond Hatchett from Knoxville, Tenn., has been behind bars at the Morgan County Correctional Complex since November 2009 following an aggravated-assault conviction.

Dorinda Carter, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Department of Correction, confirmed this to the Los Angeles Times on Monday.

The Desmond Hatchett in custody might -- or might not -- be the same man. (The man behind bars is 32 years old, and local media have said the Octodad Hatchett is 33.)

The math and the kids' ages could work out if Hatchett was, ahem, especially active just in advance of November 2009. But still, it does suggest that the first question people ask when they hear of his case -- "30 kids? Really?" -- might also be the most basic question.

There is one person who could help unravel this potential baby-making mystery, other than Hatchett himself. And that's Hatchett's Knoxville attorney, Keith A. Pope.

Nonetheless, how come 11 women decided to have a baby(ies) with this man?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
That doesn't seem inherently fraudulent. He certainly likes fathering lots'o kids he won't support.
It strikes me as very wrong that he foists his burdens upon others, but this doesn't require
that he misrepresent himself to to mothers-to-be. Moreover, his hobby appears to be perfectly
legal.

Well, it do take two to make a baby. And it takes more than two to make thirty babies.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, it do take two to make a baby. And it takes more than two to make thirty babies.
Of course, what should really vex us is that we have a system wherein he faces
no big consequences for the many little children he expects taxpayers to fund.
This is what voters created, but not what they expected.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I say the state should give him a free vasectomy.
I agree.
But if they won't, then you can hold him down & I'll.....never mind.

People are so frightened of the bogeymen eugenics, racism & religion
that I don't see the state getting involved in sterilization any time soon.

CynthiaCypher

I agree.
But if they won't, then you can hold him down & I'll.....never mind.

People are so frightened of the bogeymen eugenics, racism & religion
that I don't see the state getting involved in sterilization any time soon.

Maybe someone should have slipped him some depo-provera when he had #10