• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

... and a man wrestled with him

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Alright, I answered my own question. According to Strong's it is Elohiym which can be translated "God" "gods" "magistrate" and . . . . "angel" though it's usually translated "God."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
doppleganger said:
Alright, I answered my own question. According to Strong's it is Elohiym which can be translated "God" "gods" "magistrate" and . . . . "angel" though it's usually translated "God."
But not here. Again, note Hosea 12:4.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
doppelgänger said:
But he didn't just struggle. He overcame!
Overcame? I wouldn't say that. Whether God or angel all the 'man' had to do was touch Jacob and he dislocated his hip socket. If I remember correctly Jacob developed a persistent limp as a result of this encounter. Whoever the 'man' was he had superhuman power. So either he was allowing Jacob to wrestle with him or Jacob had some other type of hold on him - like his being the grandson of Abraham for example.

Why do you think Jacob was wrestling with the man in the first place? Why did the man come to Jacob? Not being argumentative; just asking discussion questions.

doppelgänger said:
Yes, I read that. But did the author of Hosea write Genesis?
Yeah, if Elohim is God in other parts of the bible, particularly in Genesis, why should a different interpretation in Hosea supercede?

But perhaps this is not as contradictiory as it might seem. I am interested in people's interpretations of what angels are in the first place. Most of them have -el in their names, Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Uriel... meaning that they are 'of God.' So if some being is named "righteousness of God" for example, is the being a separate being in and of itself or is it an aspect of God inseperable from God?

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps there is no real difference between saying that Jacob wrestled with an angel and saying that Jacob wrestled with God.