• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An official re-introduction thread for a returnee from the SF Bay Area

Whateverist

Some of you may have known me as Whateverist at atheist forums .org which I joined 12 years ago. This was my intro there: Anyone here interested in the nature of the self ?

As you can see I was pretty naive about religion when I was 58. I left that forum because of the nonstop drama and Lord of the Flies desire to chase all believers off ASAP after ‘chewing them up’, the term used to cast being rude and insulting in a favorable light as a kind of fun or sport. Moderation was fully behind this ‘fun’. So I left. Though at the time I thought there was something wrong with most religious belief in our modern times I didn’t think this was at fitting. For a while I posted at a forums called atheists discussions .org but I realized what I needed was to hear from articulate believers about why they did.

So in 2018 I joined BioLogos forums which was founded by Dr Francis Collins to promote real science to his fellow Christians. I supported them for a while and I did find thoughtful, open minded and educated Christians there willing to give me useful feedback. I keep in touch with a few but I got tired of the shallow, rude ones. For a while I felt like fine, there is low life on both sides of the belief divide and let it roll by off my back but the lack of opposition only made the worst ones even worse and I finally had enough. Now I have nothing to do with the site or forums but keep in touch with a few of my favorites: a moderator, a former moderator and a librarian from Michigan.

So early this year I left that forum. I came here mostly to stalk @vulcanlogician who I’ve known from a couple other forums and whose insights are always made with great care. I’ve sensed that like me he wanted real conversations with real believers. I’ve probably had enough of those or at least the kind where one must always code switch to the vocabulary and mindset of a faith tradition.

Anyhow when I came here the first time I kept things pretty light and personal. This time I wouldn’t mind having more conversations with my fellow nonbelievers. People are sometimes confused about my religious status because of my fluency in code switching with Christians. But I consider myself a confirmed agnostic with an interest in panentheism.

I no longer bother with the “atheist” label as I no longer think whether or not one harbors belief in God/gods to be a very important question. What I focus on instead is what it is people mean by those words and how do they come by the belief they have. Yes/no without clarifying terms is pointless. Of course whatever one means by those words, the concept is not an easy one to capture in language. But I no longer think that is a point against religious faith, the insufficiency lies with the language not with the inadequately communicated substance of them.

So anyone who wants to start with a dictionary isn’t going deep enough. Why did god belief get started and spread so widely for so long? Hint: it isn’t simply bad science, gullibility or ignorance. Unless you have something positive to offer about what accounts for the depths of our humanity, there is nothing for us discuss. “Not God” isn’t helpful or relevant. So you won’t enjoy talking religion with me.

A little bio: I’m married to a professional artist ten years my senior which really sucks at our advanced age. But no regrets on that account. As a college undergrad I majored in philosophy but don't approach the subject as a sacred collection of people's thoughts on profound subjects. I am currently down to one dog but usually go with two, a master and an apprentice. But my old boy Smokey whose image graces my avatar died unexpected early this year. Fortunately he imparted good lessons to my youngster, a two year old female McNab named Ember. In addition to a wife and dog I also care take a fairly ambitious garden in one of the most benign climates anywhere. Oh and while I’d rather be reading good literature I am for now working through Iain McGilchrist’s The Matter With Things. Which addresses all the philosophy and science which interests me.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hi, after that enlightening introduction i think you are in need of some cake... help yourself

image2.jpg

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Anyhow when I came here the first time I kept things pretty light and personal. This time I wouldn’t mind having more conversations with my fellow nonbelievers. People are sometimes confused about my religious status because of my fluency in code switching with Christians. But I consider myself a confirmed agnostic with an interest in panentheism.

Welcome back. Would you mind elaborating on your interest in panentheism?

Whateverist

Welcome back. Would you mind elaborating on your interest in panentheism?

Tricky, I don't think of God/gods as beings apart from everything else, especially one that is at all person-like is at all likely. People believe otherwise and I have no desire to undermine that, but I pay no attention to such a possibility. So you might wonder how I can think God/gods is in anything at all (let alone everything) if I reject the most common conception of God/gods, at least among Christian. But I don't think of it that way. It isn't just a 'law of physics' but it is something like the organizing force of consciousness which is a basic, primordial part of the cosmos. Something that brains enhance but don't themselves produce.

Last edited:

Whateverist

Welcome back.

Having said goodby to a number of dogs over the years, I really like this: "Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts."

I find those paw prints comforting.

How many have been in your relay team of furry buddies? Ember is my 8th. Got my first muttly mutt before I left high school when our family dog got knocked up; the one that wrapped around my wrist when I was petting all the pups I kept and named Bunny (I was a weird kid). When she died I adopted a collie/German Shepherd cross named Sandy when the Bunster died. When I hooked up with my second/current/(really, only) wife she had an old elkhound but both of our old dogs died and we got our first dog together, a Dalmatian we named Daisy because the kitchen floor used to be a black and white checkerboard and Lia thought it would look cool there. Daisy lived a long time and then I picked out a lab/golden cross I named Sophie. From then on we kept two dogs after the male Australian Shepherd my wife's aunt and uncle picked out and named Fletcher after we encouraged them to get another late in life joined our pack after they both passed. When Sophie passed I adopted Heidi, a German Shepherd/ Heeler cross. When Fletcher succumbed I found Smokey, a male Aussie/heeler cross. That is how many dogs it has taken to get me this far in life.

Last edited:

Whateverist

Hello. I'm sorry about your boy Smokey. What I know about Buddhism you can put in a frog's ear, but my cat is a true expression of suchness.

Yeah cats are who/what they are and if you can't appreciate that, you don't really want one. I would have one but my wife has played the cat dander card. But she is cool with my having a couple dogs so I get by. My father in law had one from the time his wife died in her early 80's to when he did in his mid 90's. I liked her very much.

Jim and Gracie snoozing out on his 95th bday.

3966890285_7865300dd7_b.jpg

3966894859_7d7fc07cd4_b.jpg

3966893349_378467e05a_b.jpg

The view out on Tomales bay from the dining room.

5652430697_ef03473d0d_b.jpg

The dining room was he corner the top floor seen here.

5652429039_6c799efa35_b.jpg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yeah cats are who/what they are and if you can't appreciate that, you don't really want one. I would have one but my wife has played the cat dander card. But she is cool with my having a couple dogs so I get by. My father in law had one from the time his wife died in her early 80's to when he did in his mid 90's. I liked her very much.

Jim and Gracie snoozing out on his 95th bday.

3966890285_7865300dd7_b.jpg

3966894859_7d7fc07cd4_b.jpg

3966893349_378467e05a_b.jpg

The view out on Tomales bay from the dining room.

5652430697_ef03473d0d_b.jpg

The dining room was he corner the top floor seen here.

5652429039_6c799efa35_b.jpg
Beautiful Gracie.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I would have one but my wife has played the cat dander card.
You can get wipes for this. They worked for me, after just two weeks they were no longer needed, fortunately.

My gf (at the time) moved into my house. Then she took a stray in. To which I was very allergic. My gf was very concerned; she said "Oh dear. Where are you going to live?"

Like I say, the wipes worked. :relaxed:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Some of you may have known me as Whateverist at atheist forums .org which I joined 12 years ago. This was my intro there: Anyone here interested in the nature of the self ?

As you can see I was pretty naive about religion when I was 58. I left that forum because of the nonstop drama and Lord of the Flies desire to chase all believers off ASAP after ‘chewing them up’, the term used to cast being rude and insulting in a favorable light as a kind of fun or sport. Moderation was fully behind this ‘fun’. So I left. Though at the time I thought there was something wrong with most religious belief in our modern times I didn’t think this was at fitting. For a while I posted at a forums called atheists discussions .org but I realized what I needed was to hear from articulate believers about why they did.

So in 2018 I joined BioLogos forums which was founded by Dr Francis Collins to promote real science to his fellow Christians. I supported them for a while and I did find thoughtful, open minded and educated Christians there willing to give me useful feedback. I keep in touch with a few but I got tired of the shallow, rude ones. For a while I felt like fine, there is low life on both sides of the belief divide and let it roll by off my back but the lack of opposition only made the worst ones even worse and I finally had enough. Now I have nothing to do with the site or forums but keep in touch with a few of my favorites: a moderator, a former moderator and a librarian from Michigan.

So early this year I left that forum. I came here mostly to stalk @vulcanlogician who I’ve known from a couple other forums and whose insights are always made with great care. I’ve sensed that like me he wanted real conversations with real believers. I’ve probably had enough of those or at least the kind where one must always code switch to the vocabulary and mindset of a faith tradition.

I no longer bother with the “atheist” label as I no longer think whether or not one harbors belief in God/gods to be a very important question. What I focus on instead is what it is people mean by those words and how do they come by the belief they have. Yes/no without clarifying terms is pointless. Of course whatever one means by those words, the concept is not an easy one to capture in language. But I no longer think that is a point against religious faith, the insufficiency lies with the language not with the inadequately communicated substance of them.

So anyone who wants to start with a dictionary isn’t going deep enough. Why did god belief get started and spread so widely for so long? Hint: it isn’t simply bad science, gullibility or ignorance. Unless you have something positive to offer about what accounts for the depths of our humanity, there is nothing for us discuss. “Not God” isn’t helpful or relevant. So you won’t enjoy talking religion with me.

A little bio: I’m married to a professional artist ten years my senior which really sucks at our advanced age. But no regrets on that account. As a college undergrad I majored in philosophy but don't approach the subject as a sacred collection of people's thoughts on profound subjects. I am currently down to one dog but usually go with two, a master and an apprentice. But my old boy Smokey whose image graces my avatar died unexpected early this year. Fortunately he imparted good lessons to my youngster, a two year old female McNab named Ember. In addition to a wife and dog I also care take a fairly ambitious garden in one of the most benign climates anywhere. Oh and while I’d rather be reading good literature I am for now working through Iain McGilchrist’s The Matter With Things. Which addresses all the philosophy and science which interests me.

We need more kind, wise hearts in the world, not fewer. Glad to have you on board. :)

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it okay to mention blessings to a non-believer? If so, then may Smokey's memory be for a blessing. (It's a Jewish saying to comfort a mourner.)

Welcome back, and have some sweet raspberry rugelach!

raspberry-rugelach.jpg

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Tricky, I don't think of God/gods as beings apart from everything else, especially one that is at all person-like is at all likely. People believe otherwise and I have no desire to undermine that, but I pay no attention to such a possibility. So you might wonder how I can think God/gods is in anything at all (let alone everything) if I reject the most common conception of God/gods, at least among Christian. But I don't think of it that way. It isn't just a 'law of physics' but it is something like the organizing force of consciousness which is a basic, primordial part of the cosmos. Something that brains enhance but don't themselves produce.

What is the organizing force of consciousness that brains enhance but don't produce?