• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An observation

The Rev

I am new to Buddhism, but the group I joined is Ch'an, so I will probably have something to contribute here from time to time.
:namaste

koan

The Rev, It's part of the Koan, if you don't understand, then you don't get the koan. Unless of course it's not in the version you read.

The Rev

I've never heard that koan. I'm fairly new to Ch'an, and I'm not even sure we include koans like Japanese Zen. Thanks for the explanation, tho.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
I've never heard that koan. I'm fairly new to Ch'an, and I'm not even sure we include koans like Japanese Zen. Thanks for the explanation, tho.

There are always differences among teachers. Plenty of Zen teachers don't use koans, and I'm sure plenty of Ch'an teachers do.

koan

In Chinese (Cha'n) they are called Gong an. And the one mentioned is through the lin-chi line of Cha'n