• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An interesting twist on playing games

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I was looking on the back of a cereal box and it had the familiar dot square 8 by 8 where you connect 2 dots against your opponent and the one who finishes the square wins the box. The twist is the person with the least boxes wins the game.

This got me thinking how we play games and it seems to me its always the one with the most. Now in most games forcing someone to win wouldn't work but it would in others it may causing play and strategy to be different.

I imagine a 4 by 4 board using X's and O's force your opponent to get 3 in a row. Othello board game force your opponent to have the most color's at the end of the game. A card game like Uno where as you go out you lose. War the first one out of cards wins, indicating that war is bad.

2 Questions, What do you think?
Are there any games that currently do this, where to win you need to force someone else to get the most.

suncowiam

Actually, most games do do this.

It's called defense. A successful defense limits the amount the opposing player can attain.

Another strategy of winning is not by amassing more but forcing the opponent to having less...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

It's called defense. A successful defense limits the amount the opposing player can attain.

Another strategy of winning is not by amassing more but forcing the opponent to having less...

I don't think that's what he meant. I believe he meant that you win by having less, like scoring in golf.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
I was looking on the back of a cereal box and it had the familiar dot square 8 by 8 where you connect 2 dots against your opponent and the one who finishes the square wins the box. The twist is the person with the least boxes wins the game.

This got me thinking how we play games and it seems to me its always the one with the most. Now in most games forcing someone to win wouldn't work but it would in others it may causing play and strategy to be different.

I imagine a 4 by 4 board using X's and O's force your opponent to get 3 in a row. Othello board game force your opponent to have the most color's at the end of the game. A card game like Uno where as you go out you lose. War the first one out of cards wins, indicating that war is bad.

2 Questions, What do you think?
Are there any games that currently do this, where to win you need to force someone else to get the most.
Lowball poker, but I don't know that you force your opponent to take more, you just go for what is normally less.

Best example I can think of quickly is Hearts.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
There is a PC game called "Stayin' Alive" that takes place at a nursing home, where one team are the nurses and the other team are the elderly patients. The nurse team tries to keep the patient team alive while the patients try to off themselves.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Yes but the strategy I was looking at was forcing the opponent to have more and winning when you have less.