• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Idea.

bmtsandwich

After undergoing a personal debate about the possible existence, or non-existence, of God I have come to a conclusion that I feel is best, for the time being, in which I’d like to share with everyone. Whether one chooses to accept, or deny, the existence of God it is important that both sides acknowledge the possibility of being wrong about their beliefs while respecting one another’s personal decision, and by personal I mean uninfluenced by peers, family, friends, etc., but without lack of cooperation from people willing to open another souls mind to the possibility of endless scenarios and possibilities.
Now, I feel it is important that people also realize that you are capable of finding peace and happiness within your life without abiding by a certain religion. Bottom-line, whether you believe it or not, there is no actual proof of His/Her existence, nor is there proof of His/Her inexistence. So, what we need to do with OUR world is come together and realize, at this point in time, that possibilities with EVERYTHING are endless and unset. Nothing is certain and everything is possible. Now, instead of creating hate and pain I beg everyone to try and acknowledge one another as Humans, Humans who are trying to seek a purpose in life, trying to seek an answer to so many uncertainties. We are scared, we are young, as a race, with a vast amount of ideas and space unexplored and undiscovered.
So, please, instead of debating, to the point in which hate and pain is created, acknowledge one anothers ideas as if they were your own. I do not think that, at any point in time, we will fully agree on something as a whole, entirely. So, instead of trying to decide which religion, or lack there-of, is best to follow we need to decide what is best for ourselves to follow as Human beings in control of our actions, or lack of actions, in which we take.
I think it is very important that we create a new found way of life; a life in which is lived and created by Humans. In doing so, we will be able to find out who we are and what we are capable of. The options and possibilities are endless and I believe we should take a risk and create, somewhat, of a New World Order that allows us to live our lives the way WE think we should. Remember how hard it was for you to leave your parents side and establish an existence of your own? Well, think of that day and think of all the valuable things that you learned, good or bad, along your journey to adult-hood. It is a risk worth taking. Do not be afraid of the unknown, embrace it as a new found friend and try to get to know this new friend as well as you can.

-Brook Michael Taylor

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
After undergoing a personal debate about the possible existence, or non-existence, of God I have come to a conclusion that I feel is best, for the time being, in which I’d like to share with everyone. Whether one chooses to accept, or deny, the existence of God it is important that both sides acknowledge the possibility of being wrong about their beliefs while respecting one another’s personal decision, and by personal I mean uninfluenced by peers, family, friends, etc., but without lack of cooperation from people willing to open another souls mind to the possibility of endless scenarios and possibilities.
Now, I feel it is important that people also realize that you are capable of finding peace and happiness within your life without abiding by a certain religion. Bottom-line, whether you believe it or not, there is no actual proof of His/Her existence, nor is there proof of His/Her inexistence. So, what we need to do with OUR world is come together and realize, at this point in time, that possibilities with EVERYTHING are endless and unset. Nothing is certain and everything is possible. Now, instead of creating hate and pain I beg everyone to try and acknowledge one another as Humans, Humans who are trying to seek a purpose in life, trying to seek an answer to so many uncertainties. We are scared, we are young, as a race, with a vast amount of ideas and space unexplored and undiscovered.
So, please, instead of debating, to the point in which hate and pain is created, acknowledge one anothers ideas as if they were your own. I do not think that, at any point in time, we will fully agree on something as a whole, entirely. So, instead of trying to decide which religion, or lack there-of, is best to follow we need to decide what is best for ourselves to follow as Human beings in control of our actions, or lack of actions, in which we take.
I think it is very important that we create a new found way of life; a life in which is lived and created by Humans. In doing so, we will be able to find out who we are and what we are capable of. The options and possibilities are endless and I believe we should take a risk and create, somewhat, of a New World Order that allows us to live our lives the way WE think we should. Remember how hard it was for you to leave your parents side and establish an existence of your own? Well, think of that day and think of all the valuable things that you learned, good or bad, along your journey to adult-hood. It is a risk worth taking. Do not be afraid of the unknown, embrace it as a new found friend and try to get to know this new friend as well as you can.

-Brook Michael Taylor
I agree that how we treat each other is more important than the argument itself. Nothing will be accomplished with name calling or derogatory remarks. However, some beliefs actually lead to ill will and animosity. Some beliefs result in an "us vs. them" mentality. Some beliefs need to be challenged for the sake of peace.

I also think that just about anything can be debated in a peaceful manner if both parties are mature enough to handle it. I don't believe in throwing my hands up and saying that every belief is true or even possible. There are certainly many things that are not possible. A lack of absolute certainty does not make something possible. If you say that everything is true then nothing is false.

bmtsandwich

Thank you for your response.

I was thinking about what you said about how "Some belifes result in an "us vs. them" mentality." and "Some beliefs need to be challenged for the sake of peace." and I agree with you to a certain extent. However, do you not think it is more important to just walk away? Do what countless people have told others to do in a heated moment? If so, then do you think that the conflicts that arise today constitute us just walking away? or shedding blood?

I'd love to write more, but I would be late for work.

Jeremiah

It's human nature to fight and argue. Maybe if we understood more about humans it could be resolved.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Thank you for your response.

I was thinking about what you said about how "Some belifes result in an "us vs. them" mentality." and "Some beliefs need to be challenged for the sake of peace." and I agree with you to a certain extent. However, do you not think it is more important to just walk away? Do what countless people have told others to do in a heated moment? If so, then do you think that the conflicts that arise today constitute us just walking away? or shedding blood?

I'd love to write more, but I would be late for work.
I think alot of people have animosity towards those who believe differently because they don't discuss it with them. They stay in their bubble and stick to their own kind and never get used to their ideas being challenged. So when someone finally comes along and bursts their bubble they blow up. You can't make an omlet without breaking some eggs. If this happens to them repeatedly they'll realize it isn't so bad and that there is a whole universe outside their bubble that they've been missing out on. Everyone needs constant exposure to other ideas. It will help keep us all sane.

kadzbiz

Another issue BMT is that some religious beliefs compel their followers to go out convert people to their following becasue they truly believe they are doing the right thing and trying to save people. With strong beliefs in anything, there are bound to be negative and sometimes retaliatory reactions. It often seems to me that people without a religious belief seem to be more open to everyone just getting along, but unfortunately religion gets in the way of that.

bmtsandwich

-Brook Michael Taylor
My motivation in writing this piece is to hopefully open up, or spark, a mind in which will be able to resolve such an issue. In the end, I just want people to come along and unite as Human beings... not Christians... not Muslims... not Atheists... not anything but HUMANS because, after all, that is what unites us regardless of any belief that we have.

Jeremiah

My motivation in writing this piece is to hopefully open up, or spark, a mind in which will be able to resolve such an issue. In the end, I just want people to come along and unite as Human beings... not Christians... not Muslims... not Atheists... not anything but HUMANS because, after all, that is what unites us regardless of any belief that we have.

I don't know this whole uniting idea may contribute to the problem.

Everyone wants to unite and we all want to fight about what to unite about.

"not anything but HUMANS because, after all, that is what unites us regardless of any belief that we have"

Wise words!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Another issue BMT is that some religious beliefs compel their followers to go out convert people to their following becasue they truly believe they are doing the right thing and trying to save people. With strong beliefs in anything, there are bound to be negative and sometimes retaliatory reactions. It often seems to me that people without a religious belief seem to be more open to everyone just getting along, but unfortunately religion gets in the way of that.
There's a word for that activity. It's called proselytization, and it's an illegal activity in this forum.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
That cannot happen by definition. This is a religious forum, so we are going to bring our religions with us when we come here.
However, it is possible to debate and to argue without resorting to defamation, slander or libel. One of my best friends is atheist, and we argue the existence of God all the time. He is set in his beliefs and I am set in mine. We are not going to compromise what we believe in. But we love each other, and we respect each other's opinions.

bmtsandwich

That cannot happen by definition. This is a religious forum, so we are going to bring our religions with us when we come here.
However, it is possible to debate and to argue without resorting to defamation, slander or libel. One of my best friends is atheist, and we argue the existence of God all the time. He is set in his beliefs and I am set in mine. We are not going to compromise what we believe in. But we love each other, and we respect each other's opinions.

The point I am trying to make is that I do not think that we should argue who is right and who is wrong anymore because, like I said in my very first post, there is no proof that Him/Her exists, nor is there proof of Him/Her not existing. So, it seems as if it would be better for everyone to acknowledge that it is possible to have either, or something else(?), and build a foundation upon all Human beings as one.

-BMT

gnostic

The Lost One
Being united regardless of our belief is good and well, but there will always be conflict because of our conviction. I think it is important to know that there are boundary in which both sides should not cross.

Your belief is your own, so it should be personal for you and matters to you. So that's your boundary and you should know the limitations of what you can and can't do.

It when you tried to cross that line and trying to convince or compel a person to agree with you, whether with your belief, with your customs, or with your religion, that's when it become possible for negative and destructive behaviour, because it can lead to discrimination and to hostility.

Disagreeing with a person is not a bad thing, but at the same time respecting the other person's belief as his own is important to avoid more aggressive conflict.

I am open to the existence of any deity only if there are verifiable evidences of existence of a deity or two, mainly because I have no faith on the mere words of some prophets found in scriptures. If everything is possible as you say, bmtsandwich, then there should be evidence then. To date, I have found no evidences, except what is written in various scriptures, testimonies of some prophets, and the faith people have with these scriptures and testimonies. Such evidences as these are not good enough in this day and age.

I don't think that you can expect more from me than that, bmtsandwich.