• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An example of why I am against prostitution

dust1n

Zindīq
According to your cited posts, you simply select some information that is mostly anecdotal

No, it isn't mostly anecdotal. I provided five sources over the course of the three mentioned posts. Only one has an introduction that is anecdotal. News stories and research papers are not anecdotal.

—which is what you take me to task for—and then assume that this applies across the board. Just because prostitution is decriminalized and/or legalized does not all of a sudden create human trafficking, it also does not create more prostitution, it is after all a matter of supply and demand.
This is a claim.

And government corruption is a major concern with legalized prostitution; how so? Why, all those corrupt officials who benefit from illegal prostitution, and there are a hell of a lot of them globally, suddenly don’t exist? It certainly does not surprise me that political goals were not reached by legalizing the sex trade. Now that’s a first. The politicians don’t get their medals for solving the world’s ills? Oh, how sad. Now we should just give up and crawl into our caves and lick our wounds. Or maybe we should hold the panderers, traffickers, pimps, and corrupt officials and politicians accountable and get off the backs of the sex workers—they are busy anyhow. As I said before, any improvement is better for those employed by the sex trade than none. And besides, it is not them who invented human trafficking or benefit from it, so why hold them hostage to a crime that punishes only one half of the people who participate in it.
I don't know what you are talking about after this point. Really though, let's just end the "conversation." Thank you.

dust1n

Zindīq
My suggestion...

• Prostitution requires a state license. To obtain such a license (annual renewal):
    • Must be 18 years of age
    • Undergo and clear a criminal background check
    • Clear a drug test annually
    • Clear of STIs and are tested bi-annually
    • Mandatory physical annually and cleared by a physician to work
    • Mandatory education and continued education on safe sex practices, bloodborn pathogens and CPR/First Aid
    • Pay for their own licensure, education, background check, drug and medical testing
  • For safety purposes, a prostitute must hire a third party to maintain and audit records and register appointments.
  • A prostitute will not legally be able to meet alone with a client for an initial consultation, for safety purposes.
  • All services to be rendered must be delineated through legal contract and agreed upon by the prostitute and client(s).
  • All clients:
    • Must be 18 years of age or older
    • Must undergo a background check
    • Provide documentation from a physician, clearing them for sexual activity and stating that client is free of STIs (documentation must be provided every six months)
    • Must agree to full terms of contract
  • Prostitutes are able to provide any sexual service that aligns with state law
  • Prostitutes can open businesses for adult entertainment that align with aforementioned regulation - such businesses are subject to state inspection for the safety of clientele - client files are subject to audit by the state for safety purposes and compliance

:D I always feel much better with more details for how things will go down. It's the legal vagueness I especially worry about.

BTW, or anyone, this is a great resource for status of prostitution in various countries and is a neutral look, though one could always wish for more info:

100 Countries and Their Prostitution Policies - Prostitution - ProCon.org

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
No, it isn't mostly anecdotal. I provided five sources over the course of the three mentioned posts. Only one has an introduction that is anecdotal. News stories and research papers are not anecdotal.

This is a claim.

I don't know what you are talking about after this point. Really though, let's just end the "conversation." Thank you.
Good to know that news stories and research papers are only anecdotal when I use them as sources.

dust1n

Zindīq
Ronald Weitzer, PhD, Professor of Sociology at George Washington University, in the July 2005 Violence Against Women article "Flawed Theory and Method in Studies of Prostitution," wrote:
[FONT=&quot]"In no area of the social sciences has ideology contaminated knowledge more pervasively than in writings on the sex industry. Too often in this area, the canons of scientific inquiry are suspended and research deliberately skewed to serve a particular political agenda."[/FONT]

July 2005 - Ronald Weitzer, PhD gets you to the website.

This is only research paper that was written, and it is about the flaw methodologies of studies I henceforth never referred to and have no reason to defend on its behalf.

And yes, the sources I have access to all say the same thing, it is better to have prostitution decriminalized and/or legalized for the prostitutes—male and female—because it gives many of them a better chance to survive and lead a better life. And yes , there are plenty of voices against legalizing it, so where is your empirical evidence that it works—and where—and what are your sources, who funds the research and is bias and policy dependent agenda clearly stated?

here are some fun reads Sex Worker Rights Organizations Around the World ,
Sex Work Europe |
Recommendations From the Brussels 2005 Conference | Sex Work Europe
http://www.csun.edu/~psy453/prosti_y.htm

These are links to womens' groups and prostitution unions. I never denied their existence.

Nor was any of this what I was referring to when I mentioned anecdotes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think johns should be licensed. Johns who abuse prostitutes would have their licenses revoked, thus making it illegal for them to use the services of prostitutes, as well as illegal for prostitutes to provide services to them.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think the prostitute should become a licensed professional and those who work with the prostitute, genuine clientele. Prostitutes should be able to partner and work together if they choose to, to provide creative and quality services that they feel good about to clientele that they trust at prices that they feel are worthy of their services.

My suggestion...

• Prostitution requires a state license. To obtain such a license (annual renewal):
    • Must be 18 years of age
    • Undergo and clear a criminal background check
    • Clear a drug test annually
    • Clear of STIs and are tested bi-annually
    • Mandatory physical annually and cleared by a physician to work
    • Mandatory education and continued education on safe sex practices, bloodborn pathogens and CPR/First Aid
    • Pay for their own licensure, education, background check, drug and medical testing
  • For safety purposes, a prostitute must hire a third party to maintain and audit records and register appointments.
  • A prostitute will not legally be able to meet alone with a client for an initial consultation, for safety purposes.
  • All services to be rendered must be delineated through legal contract and agreed upon by the prostitute and client(s).
  • All clients:
    • Must be 18 years of age or older
    • Must undergo a background check
    • Provide documentation from a physician, clearing them for sexual activity and stating that client is free of STIs (documentation must be provided every six months)
    • Must agree to full terms of contract
  • Prostitutes are able to provide any sexual service that aligns with state law
  • Prostitutes can open businesses for adult entertainment that align with aforementioned regulation - such businesses are subject to state inspection for the safety of clientele - client files are subject to audit by the state for safety purposes and compliance

I largely agree with this.