• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An armed society: solution to mass shootings?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
First off, I would not stress about it... you have a much better chance of dying from a whole bunch of other stuff like falling down in your bathtub.
Second, get a gun that fits you and learn to use it. I like revolvers because of the simplicity and reliability. Most likely you'll never have to use it on a person, but even having it is a security. A lot of lives have been saved by just showing someone that you are armed.

Orbit

I'm a planet
There's a lot of good info on gun deaths in the US here if you'd like to see some research: What the data says about gun deaths in the U.S.

"The U.S. gun death rate was 10.6 per 100,000 people in 2016, the most recent year in the study, which used a somewhat different methodology from the CDC. That was far higher than in countries such as Canada (2.1 per 100,000) and Australia (1.0), as well as European nations such as France (2.7), Germany (0.9) and Spain (0.6). But the rate in the U.S. was much lower than in El Salvador (39.2 per 100,000 people), Venezuela (38.7), Guatemala (32.3), Colombia (25.9) and Honduras (22.5), the study found. Overall, the U.S. ranked 20th in its gun fatality rate that year."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
With the recent mass shootings, my social anxiety has been heightened. It’s scary, going out, knowing in America that some psycho might start shooting up the Walmart. I used to have guns, but I got rid of them for personal reasons. I’m thinking of getting another gun, though, for self defense.
In our current system, defense of our lives is outsourced to the state. We are not incentivized to learn how to defend ourselves or arm ourselves. We are told to run for our lives.
What is a practical solution to this gun violence? This site leans left I think, I’ve seen a lot of support for more legislation to counter mass shootings. But is that really practical? Or is it more practical if individuals actually were capable of defending their own lives. In a hypothetical ancap society, individuals would be economically incentivized to have the capacity to defend themselves.
Is this not the practical solution? The state has proven that they are incapable of defending our lives in the event of a mass shooting. Police simply don’t arrive on time. Who else can an individual depend on for defense of their lives other than themselves. However, this practical solution is often scoffed at. Such faith in the state people have, that it is believed legislation can protect them.
Simply arming people would be inefficient. Sufficient training would be necessary. Imagine this at a mass scale, a society of well armed and well trained individuals. I believe this would serve as a more effective defense against mass shootings rather than our current system. Our current system fails us and there is mass shootings multiple times a week sometimes. It’s f’n disgraceful and absolutely terrifying.
How is legislation and more statism a practical solution? It is not, imo.

I heard a report that in California there has been a sharp rise in gun sales to women and minorities.

More guns is the solution we are going with according to the rise in gun sales.
The government has failed to make people feel safe. So for better or worse, it's more guns.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In the UK, the general citizenry do not have guns. Mass shootings are thankfully extremely rare. There's an obvious connection there.

Obviously by comparison the US has one a week. And the murder rate is similar to the likes of Cuba , Angola and Kazakhstan.

Well, they are not rare over here (in the US) so, more guns. :thumbsup:

We're going to keep buying guns until every last man, woman and child feels safe.

7f7d3f1bef51b34cfef734eded059ea1.gif

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You're something like 3 times more likely to kill yourself or a family member with your gun than to use it to defend yourself in any way

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
With the recent mass shootings, my social anxiety has been heightened. It’s scary, going out, knowing in America that some psycho might start shooting up the Walmart. I used to have guns, but I got rid of them for personal reasons. I’m thinking of getting another gun, though, for self defense.
In our current system, defense of our lives is outsourced to the state. We are not incentivized to learn how to defend ourselves or arm ourselves. We are told to run for our lives.
What is a practical solution to this gun violence? This site leans left I think, I’ve seen a lot of support for more legislation to counter mass shootings. But is that really practical? Or is it more practical if individuals actually were capable of defending their own lives. In a hypothetical ancap society, individuals would be economically incentivized to have the capacity to defend themselves.
Is this not the practical solution? The state has proven that they are incapable of defending our lives in the event of a mass shooting. Police simply don’t arrive on time. Who else can an individual depend on for defense of their lives other than themselves. However, this practical solution is often scoffed at. Such faith in the state people have, that it is believed legislation can protect them.
Simply arming people would be inefficient. Sufficient training would be necessary. Imagine this at a mass scale, a society of well armed and well trained individuals. I believe this would serve as a more effective defense against mass shootings rather than our current system. Our current system fails us and there is mass shootings multiple times a week sometimes. It’s f’n disgraceful and absolutely terrifying.
More guns!?!?! That is nothing but shear madness. Hundreds of millions of untrained, terrified citizens brandishing weapons all over the place is nothing but an invitation to disaster.

No, arm everybody with nerf bats and marshmallows, and let them have at each other to their hearts content. The Second Amendment is an artifact of an earlier era, and has no place in modern society.

Hell, why not go further and allow everybody to own a small stash of nuclear weapons. Yeah -- that'll keep us all safer!

gnostic

The Lost One
The only people who should have assault rifles, automatics or machine guns, or high-powered sniper rifle, are soldiers and special units of police, who are on “active duty”.

But even they should not have ones, personally owned.

Even other firearms that don’t fit into the above list, shouldn’t legally be available to anyone.

And of course, there are people who could possibly to through black market options, but I think police should crack down on these outlets, and the courts should deal very harsh sentence on those who sell any illegal weapons.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
With the recent mass shootings, my social anxiety has been heightened

The state has proven that they are incapable of defending our lives in the event of a mass shooting

practical solution? It is not, imo
No need to worry...at least that's what Frans Timmermans (Dutch guy in EU) told me, when I voiced my concern about criminality on Twitter (I tried to tweet only once in my life, and got a reply, I was quite surprised)

He told me something like "Don't be foolish, don't you think we can handle it".

So, just trust our government, they will take care of everything, right? They must have some tricks up on their sleeves; we just don't know it yet

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Do you want to live in a society where everyone has to be armed and trained to have a chance of survival? Holy cow, this is the 21st century not the 1st century.
We need to learn from other nations who have done this. It's like we're having to invent something new. We should able to expect first world living conditions, and refuse anything that would continue or worsen our third world violence problem.
Peace does not come with violence. More guns and more training has just lead us to more shootings. America needs to sober up and change its ways.