• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An anti-YouTube reaction ...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I find that I have little or no interest in pursuing a post which is little more than a YouTube presentation. I'm not entirely sure why this is the case, and I'm certainly not trying to justify this reaction.

Do any of you share this aversion?
Yes.

I'm here because I want to read what people have to say about things.

If I want to watch videos, I'll log off here and go to YouTube.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I find that I have little or no interest in pursuing a post which is little more than a YouTube presentation. I'm not entirely sure why this is the case, and I'm certainly not trying to justify this reaction.

I'd say somewhat.

However, I also acknowledge that posting pictures and YouTube videos, seems to be mainly how some people communicate (for some reason or another).

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes a YT video can be full of information put much better than a forum post could do, with help from visuals for instance.

But I am much more likely to recommend a book or an online journal article.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say somewhat.

However, I also acknowledge that posting pictures and YouTube videos, seems to be mainly how some people communicate (for some reason or another).
There is a place here for videos, don't get me wrong, especially if they're presented as evidence for a claim or relevant to the topic already being discussed.

I don't think a forum is a place for posting a topic and saying, "I won't preface this with anything. Here's an hour-plus-long video about ___________, and I think one of the participants has a good argument. Let me know what you think."

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
There is a place here for videos, don't get me wrong, especially if it's presented as evidence for a claim or relevant to the topic already being discussed.

I don't think a forum is a place for posting a topic and saying, "I won't preface this with anything. Here's an hour-plus-long video about ___________, and I think one of the participants has a good argument. Let me know what you think."

Well, you would likely know what this forum is a place for better than I would.

That being said, I was touching upon the fact that I've come across people before (mostly outside of RF) who's main form of online communication is posting media. I don't always fully understand it, admittedly... seems like a form of attention-seeking combined with extreme introversion or extreme extroversion going in either direction. Instagram culture could be a part of it, too.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't generally take such posts seriously, if it's just a video and someone saying "watch this video," with little or no further commentary (other than a click-bait title).

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Same. As soon as I click on an OP and see a video is involved, I find another thread.

In m case, though, I understand my reaction. I genuinely do not enjoy videos. I struggle to pay attention. I will sometimes sit through one at a personal request, but I really have to be quite fond of the person to give it a try.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

I don't mind posts that feature a YouTube video along with some commentary or questions, or that use it to illustrate some point

But if the whole point of a post was just to share a YouTube video then I don't like that

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Same. As soon as I click on an OP and see a video is involved, I find another thread.

In m case, though, I understand my reaction. I genuinely do not enjoy videos. I struggle to pay attention. I will sometimes sit through one at a personal request, but I really have to be quite fond of the person to give it a try.
Yeah, this^^^^

I can't re-read a sentence or paragraph three times to figure it out if a person is talking and rapidly going on to other topics...

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I wanted to say that I agree with what people are expressing, here.

It's still pretty early in the morning, so I don't think I really properly conveyed that I was trying to say, "I would understand if they did post a video...." rather than saying "I think posting a video without much commentary is the right thing to do."

I think videos kind of get in the way of debates sometimes. There may be people who watch a long video in order to comment, but I feel they're really going out of their way to do a good deed quite often, rather than doing something that should be expected of them.

I'd rather videos just be used on occasion in support of arguments, rather than the video being the centerpiece of a debate.

Yerda

Veteran Member

Yep. I don't think anyone likes it.

A link to a video and a statement along the lines of "this video is correct" is poor form.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If one dosent like a video thread , it's quite simple.

Don't participate and move along.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is because some posters won't or can't put thoughts
in their own words. Or post links with relevant excerpts.
Being impressed with some youtube screed, they want
others to watch it.
Then if you won't watch it (because it's likely to be a
complete waste of time), they can declare victory....
OIP.yHcHubD1qGOwEW0y0hhNrgHaEL

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Well, you would likely know what this forum is a place for better than I would.

That being said, I was touching upon the fact that I've come across people before (mostly outside of RF) who's main form of online communication is posting media. I don't always fully understand it, admittedly... seems like a form of attention-seeking combined with extreme introversion or extreme extroversion going in either direction. Instagram culture could be a part of it, too.

Remember when the "pivot to video" began?

I'm not on social media myself by preference (I watch a small amount of YouTube, mostly music - I don't have an account so I don't follow channels or people), but I remember when people on forums started sharing video links from YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook, etc. It was like they'd chosen to communicate via audio and visuals instead of reading or writing anything longer than the limited characters originally allowed by Twitter. TikTok seems like the natural result of those earlier years. Short videos for short attention spans. Assertions made that don't have to be supported by fact. Superficial, but addictively entertaining. I can't help but think of Neil Postman's prescient Entertaining Ourselves to Death.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
For me, I can't just watch a video at any time, and it takes longer than reading. I find it helpful when transcripts are provided or the relevant part quoted.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For me, I can't just watch a video at any time, and it takes longer than reading. I find it helpful when transcripts are provided or the relevant part quoted.
Same. I can read through something quickly, but its hard for me to get more than a few minutes at a time without an interruption(no, I'm not exaggerating). Its hard to come back to a video and remember exactly what was going on; easier with something to read.