• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues

jojom

Moral%20acceptability%20poll_zpsatleh8ut.png

GOOD FOR US! and on almost all counts.
12029219_f520.jpg

Most surprising is the huge change in attitude toward polygamy.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

12029219_f520.jpg

percentage increase isn't really very important, especially when: 1) the initial number is low, and 2) when the margin of error is considered. Typical surveys like this generally have something around 4 points +/- (could be as little as about 3, or as much as about 5, depending on how the survey was conducted, etc), so the original measure was something between 3 and 11 percent, and the second between 12 and 20 percent. Because of the margin of error, the increase may or may not be a "huge" change.

Still, for many people I've talked with over the past year, as the same-sex marriage issue moved along, adding polygamy was not really much of a stretch. Most were still against that, but a surprising number were in favor.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm disturbed by the changes in the attitudes towards suicide and clothes made of animal fur (assuming other options are easily, if not more cheaply, available), but otherwise I'm rather pleased by even this small increase of tolerance. Every little bit helps.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What is meant by "suicide"? Medically assisted euthanasia for the terminally ill who request it?

Personally I think fur/pelts are okay if the animal was also killed for food. But purely for vanity and fashion? Unethical.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

people are becoming less moral, which is no big surprise. look at the filth on TV books, and the internet. it all reflects a lack of faith in religion

jojom

people are becoming less moral, which is no big surprise. look at the filth on TV books, and the internet. it all reflects a lack of faith in religion
I'd bet good money this "filth" you mention is no more than your prudery speaking; your uncomfortability with sexuality and nudity. That you evidently feel one can't be sexual and enjoy nudity while being member in good standing in a religion is a bit simpleminded. Or am I mistaken, and you are comfortable with sexuality and nudity?

Baladas

An Págánach

12029219_f520.jpg

Good. I am happy with almost everything here, save for the fur...assuming that the "suicide" is doctor assisted for terminal patient.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Don't just look at the change % but the base % as well. 16% for Polygamy is still a whopping 84% against.

The issue of stem cell research has much more impact on society as a whole, in health/cure issues.

Fur is statistically moot, at 2% change, that's 'noise'.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
people are becoming less moral,

No, they're becoming more educated and cultured. Also, people are still moral. They're just adopting a more rational and compassionate form of morality rather than one based on the arbitrary nonsense of ancient primitives. :)

which is no big surprise. look at the filth on TV books, and the internet. it all reflects a lack of faith in religion

By what critera do you designate something as "filth"?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Less murder, less crime, less war, less disease, completely killed small pox, etc. Never been more evil.

More freedom, more rights, more equality, and more access to communication and information. It says a lot about the groups who regard such developments as "immoral".

dust1n

Zindīq
More freedom, more rights, more equality, and more access to communication and information. It says a lot about the groups who regard such developments as "immoral".

Great access to transportation. Longer life expectancy. Great wealth for individuals. Education for children. Indeed. I guess with all the incredibly negative stuff that gets focused on in the world, no one ever takes the time to actually think about how much worse a lot of these things were our ancestors.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Or, maybe, that the "morals" dictated by religious beliefs have been found to be often discriminatory in nature or flat out incorrect. I understand that because of your beliefs, you are biased against holding this view, but it is certainly possible. And, the more time goes by, the evidence is pointing more and more this way.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Or, maybe, that the "morals" dictated by religious beliefs have been found to be often discriminatory in nature or flat out incorrect. I understand that because of your beliefs, you are biased against holding this view, but it is certainly possible. And, the more time goes by, the evidence is pointing more and more this way.

I think that many religious fundamentalists struggle with the reality that we no longer live in the dark ages, nor are we ever returning.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Why is the percentage change in those who find polygamy and adultery morally acceptable deemed a shift to the left?