• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americanization | Still being practiced?

Trey of Diamonds

Catholic Diocese apologizes for Wisconsin student punished over speaking in family's Native American language at school

Washinawatok said her 12-year-old daughter, Miranda, interpreted the words "Hello" and "I love you" and then added how to say "thank you" when talking to two girls in class Jan. 19.

She said Gurta overheard and "slammed her hands down on the desk and stated, 'You are not to speak like that. How do I know you're not saying something bad? How would you like if I spoke in Polish and you didn't understand?'"

The girl was benched from a basketball game later that day for having "an attitude problem," Washinawatok said she was told.

Washinawatok said she met with diocese and school officials, including the teacher, over the past month and they agreed to send apology letters. Washinawatok explained the issue is sensitive because tribal members used to be beaten for speaking their language in the schools, which is part of the reason they are losing their language.

Americanization of Native Americans

The Acadians of Louisiana also went through an Americanization process that included the punishment of school children who spoke a language other than English.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's terrible, Why do [SOME] Americans think they're so much better than everyone else, and that their way is the only way?

Sorry, I had to add that word in there. Sweeping over-generalizations tend to bug me.

On the one hand, the teacher does have a valid point. If language is being used that isn't understood by the majority, they could be conspiring or saying mean things for all we know. It could be paranoia, but it could also be a legitimate concern. I'm uncertain of the above justifies the actions that were taken, as I also believe in celebrating cultural diversity, particularly that of the peoples who this land ought to belong to.

dust1n

Zindīq
Sorry, I had to add that word in there. Sweeping over-generalizations tend to bug me.

On the one hand, the teacher does have a valid point. If language is being used that isn't understood by the majority, they could be conspiring or saying mean things for all we know.

I think it rather odd those people who think that everytime someone around them uses a language they don't understand, that that person is conspiring against the overhearer.