• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Military to Have Sikh Turbans Allowed

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member

It is official. You may wear a Turban as part of your uniform.

Victory! SIKH warriors in Red, White and Blue!

Om Namah Sivaya

freethinker44

It's a victory in name only. They added that "mission dictates" clause, and one thing I learned in my time in the military was "mission dictates" means it's never going to happen. I've seen so many people screwed over with that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

It is official. You may wear a Turban as part of your uniform.

Victory! SIKH warriors in Red, White and Blue!

Om Namah Sivaya
quite right as well!
in the uk sikhs do not have to wear crash helmets when riding motorcycles, either, as long as they are wearing a turban.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

What I do not want overlooked here is the notable military tradition of Sikh tradition, and it would be a shame if the United States would miss the opportunity that such proven warriors can and will contribute to America at every level.

In India, they have the turban as uniform attire, it is actually very noble and inspiring, and the Sikh ability is proven to the highest level of leadership, as was shown in the 1971 India - Pakistan war.

Here we see the hero Lieutenant General Jagjit Singh Aurora, in the green turban, taking the surrender of Lieutenant General Niazi, Commander of the Pakistan Army in the East.

600px-JSA-Article47b.jpg

I was disappointed to here a conservative, who frankly has the concern of Islamic jihadees terrorists, not liking the idea because many are so stupid not to understand. But also happy to hear another conservative support the turban and beard specifically because of the strategic advantage of Sikhs in the US military.

If there is to be another great war as many predict, this contribution could turn the tide, make a contribution of difference. As an American, I say we cannot afford to not have in our arsenal the heroic Sikh.

Om Namah Sivaya

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
... by the way, beard in US military also has a noble tradition. I am not sure when that changed, but we see the beard on most great US military commanders during the Civil War.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
... some say "uniform" means the same in form. Of course we need the uniform, but we need to be reasonable and not lose advantages when it stares you in the face. Bearded face or not.

For example, is a black face "the same" as a white face? It would be absurd to interpret uniform in that way.

So uniform can include beard and turban, and it is also a proud uniform of America that will strike fear in the enemy.

Om Namah Sivaya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Every religious Sikh that I have had the pleasure of coming into contact with out in the real world, has been a mixture of Shri Hari Singh Nalwa and Shri Mahatma Guru Gobind Singh-ji.

For those that have no idea what I am talking about...the above is a compliment. Carry on. Oh, and this is wonderful news! Go Sikhs!​

For example, is a black face "the same" as a white face? It would be absurd to interpret uniform in that way.

Completely off topic and not a whole lot to do with your question above, but in my opinion: both black face and white face are equally racist.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
...मैत्रावरुणिः

I am being misunderstood. Some are arguing against allowing for example the beard on the argument "every soldier must look exactly the same" this saying that is what "uniform" means.

But one face varies from the next.

So taking "uniform" to the extreme is stupid. That was my black face, white face analogy.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Some are arguing against allowing for example the beard on the argument "every soldier must look exactly the same" this saying that is what "uniform" means.

Even more off-topic, but did you know that a lot of our current American views on how the US Military should be comes from the Ancient Romans? The Romans didn't grow out their hair, neither do we! They also were keen on the idea that each Roman soldier should look similar to one another.

But, don't worry...I didn't misunderstand you.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Beards, like most fashions, come and go. As a practicality during WWI beards were not allowed because the gas masks would sometimes not make a seal against the face due to the facial hair. But an even greater concern is the 'slippery slope' that may come from this decision. Can't you just envision a platoon of Rastafarians?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Beards:

General Grant

grant.jpg

USS Pensacola United States military World War II:

Eccentric-facial-hair-on-the-USS-Pensacola_2010.572.107-1024x718.jpg

In Afghanistan:

war%20guns%20army%20military%20afghanistan%20us%20army%20special%20forces%20beard%20faces%20afganistan%20prisoners%20of%20war%20us_www.wallpaperhi.com_75.jpg

Major Kamal Kalsi, a 13-year Army veteran:

Army.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm fine with the turban being allowed. But it will limit their service areas.
Example: They'd never make it as a Navy Seal or many covert activities.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think, in line of duty, a Sikh would not refuse to abandon 5 k's. Duty is foremost (Dharma). That is the hall-mark of Indian religions.

JField

Most special forces grow beards, it is said it helps them better blend in with the population and it also helps them gain locals trust or make them more comfortable around them

GoodbyeDave

We've had Sikhs, bearded and turbaned, in the British army for 150 years. They played a major role in both world wars and are no doubt part of the reason why Sikhs are well thought of in Britain.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Here we see the hero Lieutenant General Jagjit Singh Aurora, in the green turban, taking the surrender of Lieutenant General Niazi, Commander of the Pakistan Army in the East.
But kindly note that Sikhs in Indian Forces wear helmets when necessary, in Army and in Air Force. They dispense with 'pagri' (the head-gear) but nobody objects to their keeping long hair or their 'patkas'. That fulfills their religious requirements.

Air Marshall Arjun Singh,
images
attachment.php

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With some creative casting and paint I'm sure you could create a standard steel helmet that looks like a turban.

Would wrapping some cloth around a steel helmet qualify as a turban?

Finally, a turban isn't one of the five Ks, anyway.