• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I saved if I have a different biblical interpretation of the oneness of God?

Thank-you.
I have had my testimony shocked twice, once early on my mission, and once over a decade ago while studying about Joseph Smith on the internet. Both times I respected and trusted the Lord and took my concerns to Him in prayer, willing to be patient. Both times I recieved a sweet answer to my prayer that satisfied me.
I am not having this shock now. I am not currently concerned about my salvation being in jeopardy, although I understand the need to endure to the end. I actually do want to understand what others from this faith tradition believe and why.
I appreciate your concern. Thank-you for carrying about me.
That, is awesome.
Permanent conversion is of the utmost concern.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Thank-you.

First of, regarding your previous post, I agree with it. I personally think that I need more than just confessing that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, I believe I must follow the path that he dictates. I believe that He saves me, and then expects me to obey Him. I am forever indebted to Him, and will gladly do as He says. I acknowledge that my "doing what he says" does not buy my salvation (He buys it), I am just grateful and obedient to Him out of love and wanting to do what is right.

I think the faith group I am looking to learn about can be labelled "OSAS" (Once Saved Always Saved).
Thanks for that clarification.
Yes, we are expected to obey him, if we are to be saved.
The OSAS would then, not be the right path to follow.
Even the Tanakh said this, and was repeated by Jesus, Peter, John, and James.

Andrew Reil

Not sure what your unique interpretation of the Bible is
I believe in the Bible, as does the church I belong to (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). From it we interpret scripture that supports:
  • A God head of three individuals (John 14:26, John 17:21)
  • Continuing Revelation (Amos 3:7, Acts 3:21)
  • Teaching the spirits of those who died and performing vicarious baptism for them (1 Pet 4:6, 1 Cor 15:29)
  • The coming forth of the Book of Mormon (Ezek 37:15-19)

Andrew Reil

God is no respecter of persons

I gather from that.........He doesn't care......who you are

the Carpenter said of Himself.....brother and fellow servant

neither are notation of ....who
both are notation of .....what
OK, thanks for the clarification

Andrew Reil

if you were saved from your sin's you would never die . i should like to grantee, you are going to die . to die means to be dead . not a little bit dead but completely dead. this thing you call the after life . how do you define it ?
I believe I have a spirit inside my body, and that my spirit contains "me". I believe that when I die, my body decays in a grave, and my spirit goes into a spirit world. One day, because of Jesus Christ, I will be resurrected and receive my body back in a glorified form. At that point, if I continue to follow Him, I will go to heaven.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thank-you.

First of, regarding your previous post, I agree with it. I personally think that I need more than just confessing that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, I believe I must follow the path that he dictates. I believe that He saves me, and then expects me to obey Him. I am forever indebted to Him, and will gladly do as He says. I acknowledge that my "doing what he says" does not buy my salvation (He buys it), I am just grateful and obedient to Him out of love and wanting to do what is right.
I agree. (Wonder why. :))

Andrew Reil

It is not a church (Baptist or otherwise), but God Himself, not even our own wills, but God who does the saving and the keeping according to His will, John 1:12-13. John 10:27-30. John 14:6. Titus 1:2. 1 John 5:9-13. John 6:37.
Yes, I believe that. I also believe I follow those scriptures you listed.

Andrew Reil

Joh 15:1 "I am the real vine, and my Father is the gardener.
Joh 15:2 Every branch which is part of me but fails to bear fruit, he cuts off........

Even though you believe in the messiah, you can be cut of his vine.

There is no such thing as osas.
Thank-you for your insights. I personally believe it.

I am also interested in understanding what OSAS Christians believe.

What I would like to understand is why Christians believe that my unique interpretations of the Bible disqualifies me from being saved.
If God indeed gave you salvation, then what others think is not going to make you not saved ( John 10:27). But if you were not saved (2 Corinthians 13:5), others telling you you are saved does not make you saved. This is between you and God. Matthew 7:21-23. Romans 8:9. 1 John 5:12.

I believe in the Bible, as does the church I belong to (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). From it we interpret scripture that supports:
  • A God head of three individuals (John 14:26, John 17:21)
  • Continuing Revelation (Amos 3:7, Acts 3:21)
  • Teaching the spirits of those who died and performing vicarious baptism for them (1 Pet 4:6, 1 Cor 15:29)
  • The coming forth of the Book of Mormon (Ezek 37:15-19)
Who is Jesus Christ that you have placed your trust in for eternal life? Is He Eternal God, Creator who became man, lived a perfect life, no sin or deceit found in His mouth. Passover Lamb who takes away the sin of the world, died on a tree, rose from the dead, ascended into Heaven and will come again?

tarasan

I want to understand why Christians do not think I'm saved. I don't want to argue with them. I genuinely want to understand their rationale.

Here's why it's a question: I recognize that there are many debates among Christians on interpretations of the Bible, yet my understanding is that a Baptist will still admit that a Presbyterian is saved because he or she has accepted Jesus as their personal Savior. But they will not accept that I, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who accepts Jesus as my personal Savior, is saved. Why?

I have tried to ask this question many times, and except for once with a person I was able to convince that I do not want to argue, it has always quickly turned into why they believe Joseph Smith was an evil deceiver, not answering my question.

The one person who did answer me explained that because I do not believe in the Trinity, that even though I say the name "Jesus Christ", that I do not believe in the REAL Jesus Christ. That what I believe is a fictional idea that is not real, and that I have merely attributed the name "Jesus Christ" to that fictional idea. The REAL Jesus Christ that I should be accepting as my Savior is in the Trinity.

My question therefore is, if I interpret John 17:21 that "one" in the way that the followers of Jesus can be aligned perfectly with Him, the same way that Jesus Christ is already perfectly aligned with His Father, than does that interpretation nullify me?

Why do other disagreements over scriptural interpretation not nullify other Christian's beliefs?

And if a person who is initially unfamiliar with Christianity, then learns about it from a Christian missionary, and confesses Jesus, and then dies from an accident, and still harbors mistaken beliefs about God because he has not yet been taught fully by the missionaries, is he saved?

Your illumination on the topic would be appreciated.
Ok do u believe in the Mormon texts? If so u are deviating from Christianity don't u realise that. It's the same as when we Christians deviated from Jews. I'm not sure how this is hard to understand.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ok do u believe in the Mormon texts? If so u are deviating from Christianity don't u realise that. It's the same as when we Christians deviated from Jews. I'm not sure how this is hard to understand.
Define "Christianity." What, in your opinion, must one believe in order to be a Christian? What do you think Mormons fail to believe that is essential for a Christian to believe? And why does your opinion count any more than mine or Andrew Reil's does?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If God indeed gave you salvation, then what others think is not going to make you not saved ( John 10:27). But if you were not saved (2 Corinthians 13:5), others telling you you are saved does not make you saved. This is between you and God. Matthew 7:21-23. Romans 8:9. 1 John 5:12.
Please explain something to me: You have said that you have to be "saved" in order to be a Christian. You have also said that the fact that someone may tell you that you are saved doesn't make it so. So, here's where you lost me... How does your telling someone that they aren't a Christian because they aren't "saved," make that any more true than the reverse? Seems to me that it's not our job to be telling people that they are or aren't "saved" or that they are or aren't a "Christian."

tarasan

Define "Christianity." What, in your opinion, must one believe in order to be a Christian? What do you think Mormons fail to believe that is essential for a Christian to believe? And why does your opinion count any more than mine or Andrew Reil's does?
Christianity is the idea that Jesus saved us to the point we're works no longer help us to achieve salvation. That it says in revelation were it states none can add to the texts.the idea you can earn your faith through works. That Jesus did not complete (as the Messiah) all that was required.

I suppose it depends how u value such words. I mean Christianity had faced gnostics and the like in the past. What gets me the most thought is that the. Biblical record is so good it trump's most historical texts. And it says not to trust anything else. But somehow I'm meant to trust a known con artist that I ok interpreted eguiptian text so wrong it was unreal? I'm ok thanks

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christianity is the idea that Jesus saved us to the point we're works no longer help us to achieve salvation. That it says in revelation were it states none can add to the texts.the idea you can earn your faith through works. That Jesus did not complete (as the Messiah) all that was required.
Well, as a Mormon I believe that Jesus Christ redeemed us through His atoning sacrifice. No one who has ever lived has done or could do enough "good works" to be reconciled with God. Thus, we absolutely cannot save ourselves. I don't know a Mormon alive who thinks we can. That said, Jesus made it very clear that if we love Him, we should keep His commandments and will be rewarded if we do.

I suppose it depends how u value such words. I mean Christianity had faced gnostics and the like in the past. What gets me the most thought is that the. Biblical record is so good it trump's most historical texts. And it says not to trust anything else. But somehow I'm meant to trust a known con artist that I ok interpreted eguiptian text so wrong it was unreal?
Perhaps you could cite chapter and verse where the Bible says not to trust anything outside of the Bible.

I'm ok thanks
I'm happy to hear that.

Last edited:

Andrew Reil

Thank-you. I agree.

I still want to understand OSAS beliefs

Andrew Reil

Who is Jesus Christ that you have placed your trust in for eternal life? Is He Eternal God, Creator who became man, lived a perfect life, no sin or deceit found in His mouth. Passover Lamb who takes away the sin of the world, died on a tree, rose from the dead, ascended into Heaven and will come again?
Yes, that's right, that's Jesus Christ. That's who I put my trust in.