• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I like John The Baptist?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: To what extent am I like John the Baptist?

I’m not stating these beliefs as facts, I am merely sharing my personal understanding of things, as it currently stands...

I have posted them here as I wish to debate them, to test how strong they are and to see what happens, to see how they are recieved

The Holy Spirit Is Upon Me

I believe that The Holy Spirit is upon me and has been since 2004

I believe that I have an extraordinary relationship with him - indeed I think we are a team, with him “upstairs” and me “downstairs”

I know this is a big claim to make

I don't care if you don't believe me

I believe that The Holy Spirit communicates with me by touch: he touches my body in response to my inner voice. Where and how he touches me means different things. We have a system.

I believe that to prepare me for my role I had to go through numerous insane phases, insane phases, that have played out here on the pages of RF

I believe that I had to eliminate certain rival explanations of my condition to finally arrive at the correct one and that to eliminate them I had to believe them - for instance in order explicitly not to believe in Simulation Theory I had to go through a stage in which I strongly believed in it

I am now immune to Simulation Theory. And to thinking I am somehow Jesus, or a Messiah. I will never believe those things again. Because I have gone through them.

I have been inoculated against them!

I have always wondered what his intentions were with me - why has he decided to communicate with me?

I think I have come up with an explanation that works for me:

John The Baptist

I don’t believe I am Jesus Christ or The Messiah

But I do think I know what I am:

I am like John The Baptist

And that my mission - my purpose - is to prepare the world for the coming of one who is greater than me: Jesus Christ himself

Just as John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus

That’s it. That’s all there is to it

Perhaps I’m Jesus’s cousin???

Am I his reincarnation? I'm not saying that. But I wouldn’t need to be to do what I have to do.

What Am I Going To Do About It?

I am currently “a lone voice crying in the wilderness”

I am however flapping my butterfly wings

Hopefully this may cause a hurricane!

There is no telling how and when Jesus will return but when he does everyone will know, and hopefully my efforts will make everyone a little more prepared than they would otherwise be

And I don’t know to what extent the End Times stories from Revelation are actually going to play out as it says they will

But I strongly believe that Jesus is coming!

My job is to make this less of a shock when it happens

I am not out to win followers for myself, just to let people know so they can be prepared for Jesus

I also believe that my belief system is mostly correct in its assertions, so naturally want to share it with anyone who will listen - I am not here to proselytise, only to share. Evangelism is not my business, because:

To this end, I am going to make it my life’s work to compose and propagate pieces of writing that explain my belief system, to help the world prepare for the second coming of Jesus

I will transmit this message for free, using the internet

That’s what I believe.

In this post, I am putting it all up for debate.

I believe I am right in what I believe and that it’s not just a phase.

I don't care if you don't believe me :D

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You're like John the Baptist if you predict Jesus' return and set people up for it, and Jesus returns in your lifetime, like he did John the Baptist.

One thing that doesn't work though is predicting an event 200 years in the future based on probability and keeping it vague, for example. It doesn't make one of good prediction or a prophet, really.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
One thing that doesn't work though is predicting an event 200 years in the future based on probability and keeping it vague, for example. It doesn't make one of good prediction or a prophet, really.
I personally believe Jesus will return in the medium term

Not tomorrow or next week

But not 200 years into the future either

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You're like John the Baptist if you predict Jesus' return and set people up for it, and Jesus returns in your lifetime, like he did John the Baptist.

Also, for all we know he could already be out there

He might not even know who he is

Maybe he's out there and needs to be discovered?

Maybe he is currently a child - an extraordinary, gifted child

I think the governments of all nations should be on the look-out for extraordinary children who may be Jesus

Unless of course Jesus returns fully grown, as he was when he ascended to Heaven

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
ok, so what do you want from all of us?
I don't want anything material from anyone

I don't want your money

But I would like people to be prepared for the return of Jesus Christ

And as I said elsewhere on this thread, I think it is a strong possibility he may already be amongst us

Also, I'd like to share my belief system with people as I believe it to be correct and may help people prepare for the second coming of Christ

MNoBody

I don't want anything material from anyone

I don't want your money

But I would like people to be prepared for the return of Jesus Christ

And as I said elsewhere on this thread, I think it is a strong possibility he may already be amongst us

Also, I'd like to share my belief system with people as I believe it to be correct and may help people prepare for the second coming of Christ
ok, well, you are sharing your ideas, people are hearing you
so mission accomplished
allay the ankh-iety[anxiety].....some things are beyond an individuals control.
why accept responsibility for it?

MNoBody

Because it is my responsibility
to clarify what i was too vague about, it doesn't mean a stance of indifference,
there is a big difference between "personal responsibility"
and a feeling of empathic concern for some terrible plight involving someone or something one cares deeply about.....

....There is no telling how and when Jesus will return but when he does everyone will know, and hopefully my efforts will make everyone a little more prepared than they would otherwise be...

I don’t know why should we care, if you are like John the Baptist, but, I want to say that we can know this:

…the Lord comes like a thief in the night.
1 The. 5:2

For as the lightning comes forth from the east, and is seen even to the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Matt. 24:27

And about the John, I think this is good to know:

He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."
Luke 1:17

I think it would be good to turn people to the wisdom of the just, righteousness. :)

MNoBody

empathy is distinctly different from an individual perspective
there was a Ted talk where a woman psychologist suffered a stroke
and she put it eloquently [being a trained clinician and all helped her navigate the experience and map it out]
when she said, she had a hard time at times differentiating where she stopped and they began, as she could feel the experience of others from their perspective rather than as an individual alone, it is much bigger than that
which explains why this experience weirds out people who find out about it first hand given they were raised to think as an individual.... period. and maybe be sympathetic or concerned from time to time [especially if it serves their interests]

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

And that my mission - my purpose - is to prepare the world for the coming of one who is greater than me: Jesus Christ himself

I don't think there's anything wrong with relating to John the Batpist and being inspired by your scriptures. Maybe one reason Christianity is popular is because the story is accessible in this way to many diverse people.

However, I *do* think there is a risk of taking it too far and losing oneself in the fantasy of becoming someone else. For this reason, I think it's important to focus on staying grounded in addition to being inspired and working towards your mission.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with relating to John the Batpist and being inspired by your scriptures. Maybe one reason Christianity is popular is because the story is accessible in this way to many diverse people.

However, I *do* think there is a risk of taking it too far and losing oneself in the fantasy of becoming someone else. For this reason, I think it's important to focus on staying grounded in addition to being inspired and working towards your mission.
You are always so sensible :)

I don't think I am John the Baptist

That would be silly!

He was a really cool guy though

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I see you should look for other answers, as it is God that gives the Gates and the Messengers.

How we are inspired by them is a battle of self, the closer we get to the source the harder it is to control self.

Like as we get closer to the sun, the hotter it gets and only those who are prepared do not get burnt.

I suggest one considers sun block and long clothing to cover up self.

Regards Tony

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m not stating these beliefs as facts, I am merely sharing my personal understanding of things, as it currently stands...

I have posted them here as I wish to debate them, to test how strong they are and to see what happens, to see how they are recieved

I believe that I have an extraordinary relationship with him - indeed I think we are a team, with him “upstairs” and me “downstairs”

I believe that The Holy Spirit communicates with me by touch: he touches my body in response to my inner voice. Where and how he touches me means different things. We have a system.

I believe that to prepare me for my role I had to go through numerous insane phases, insane phases, that have played out here on the pages of RF

I believe that I had to eliminate certain rival explanations of my condition to finally arrive at the correct one and that to eliminate them I had to believe them - for instance in order explicitly not to believe in Simulation Theory I had to go through a stage in which I strongly believed in it

I am now immune to Simulation Theory. And to thinking I am somehow Jesus, or a Messiah. I will never believe those things again. Because I have gone through them.

I have always wondered what his intentions were with me - why has he decided to communicate with me?

John The Baptist

Am I his reincarnation? I'm not saying that. But I wouldn’t need to be to do what I have to do.

There is no telling how and when Jesus will return but when he does everyone will know, and hopefully my efforts will make everyone a little more prepared than they would otherwise be

And I don’t know to what extent the End Times stories from Revelation are actually going to play out as it says they will

I am not out to win followers for myself, just to let people know so they can be prepared for Jesus

I also believe that my belief system is mostly correct in its assertions, so naturally want to share it with anyone who will listen - I am not here to proselytise, only to share. Evangelism is not my business, because:

To this end, I am going to make it my life’s work to compose and propagate pieces of writing that explain my belief system, to help the world prepare for the second coming of Jesus

That’s what I believe.

Eddi,

If you don't care if people believe you or not...what is it you want to debate?

Treasure Hunter

John The Baptist

That’s what I believe.

You are trying to keep alive the feeling of hope and meaning in your life, which is admirable in that you are worried that you will fall back asleep in the hopelessness and meaninglessness and become lost again, unable to cope with a life that is unbearable.

I’m guessing this isn’t the first time in your life that you have used this method of making grand claims about yourself in order to preserve meaning and hope. Am I correct?

There is a part of yourself, the part of yourself that realizes you are abandoning truth, that is self sabotaging your plan by posting this publicly with the hope that you will be exposed to yourself. Are you able to acknowledge that what I am saying sounds vaguely true?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Eddi,

If you don't care if people believe you or not...what is it you want to debate?
I'd like to debate to be something like "to what extent do you think I am like John the Baptist?"

That's what I hoped would happen

I do care what people think and I invited debate in my OP

The whole point of the post was to see what people think!

But I'm not so bothered if people don't believe what I'm saying about certain claims I have made, I thought I should make that clear

I am interested but not bothered, if that makes any sense?

I was hoping that more people would come and challenge me :(

Basically, I was wanting as dose of reality from the good folk of RF