• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I in trouble with Judaism?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
How long does it take for a gentile to officially be recognized as a Jew? Some guy from New York who was converting to Judaism told me 7 years.

Tumah

Veteran Member
How long does it take for a gentile to officially be recognized as a Jew? Some guy from New York who was converting to Judaism told me 7 years.
It takes a moment to be officially recognized as a Jew. However getting to the stage where one is allowed to make the crossover generally takes about a year if the perspective convert has to start from scratch. It can be done on the spot if the perspective convert happens to already be proficient in Jewish Law, has someone who can testify to their sincerity and the court can get everything organized that quickly. But I think that's pretty rare. The least I've heard was a few weeks.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Definitely, comes from the Jewish Messiah, Jesus. The center of all that exists, past, present and all future souls. I am greatful to the Jewish nation and to the Jewish Messiah for bringing salvation to all mankind.
Blessings, AJ
Please, this is the Jewish DIR.

Flankerl

You have almost 1600 posts and thus should be familiar with the Rules regarding DIRs.

Go and take your Jesus to your own DIR.

Jedster

I think you were supposed to read it as "I just wanted to get my message out there and I don't mind breaking the rules because maybe someone will see my message and convert to Christianity."

Come on Tumah, this person has only been a member since September 2007, give him a chance!!!

Jedster

I'm not impressed by it. In part 3 it makes a decision based on past religious affiliation which is erroneous as that matters not at all.

So speak up if you see any errors. I though it comprehensive, but I am no expert.
As a former programmer and teacher of programming in a time when flow charts were used, I am impressed.

I also have a sense of humour.:) , which, IMO, should be compulsory for any convert to Judaism.

Flankerl

I'm not impressed by it. In part 3 it makes a decision based on past religious affiliation which is erroneous as that matters not at all.

Try to find an error.

But then again don't you identify as a Noachide trying to set yourself apart from the Jewish idea of Noahidism? One might wonder what you are doing here.

Last edited:

pearl

Please, this is the Jewish DIR.

Is it permissible for a non-Jew to ask a question?
Assuming it is, I noticed on the flowchart that a Hasidic was not considered a Jew. I was under the impression that they were ultra orthodox. Is it the mysticism that presents the problem?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Assuming it is, I noticed on the flowchart that a Hasidic was not considered a Jew. I was under the impression that they were ultra orthodox. Is it the mysticism that presents the problem?
I'm not a Jew so I can't answer your question.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Even though they were not viewed by many to be "authentic Jews" centuries ago, they now are pretty much accepted as such today. A large part of the problem was that they definitely considered out of the mainstream of orthodoxy, and not only did mysticism feed into that, so did the elevated position of the rebbe.

There are some here who can go into more detail than I can, so I'll defer to them.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
So speak up if you see any errors. I though it comprehensive, but I am no expert.
As a former programmer and teacher of programming in a time when flow charts were used, I am impressed.

I also have a sense of humour.:) , which, IMO, should be compulsory for any convert to Judaism.

Me too, flow charts, FORTRAN on punchcards, etc. etc.

Go to part 3 first decision, answer no.

'Have you ever in the past'.

WTF does that matter? What you were before conversion matters not at ALL.

Look what it does now. If you were an atheist before conversion, you go on your merry way.
But if you were a theist, you're asked if you're now affiliated and if not you're not a Jew.

Affiliation might be a problem financially or geographically. It has zero effect on status.

After 25 years of being a convert, my sense of humor's been killed off by the bigotry I experienced.

Flankerl

The entire purpose for Non-Jews is to ask a question in this DIR. The same goes for any other DIR and their respective Religions.

And regarding your question: Haredi Judaism is an Orthodox branch.

Go to part 3 first decision, answer no.

'Have you ever in the past'.

WTF does that matter? What you were before conversion matters not at ALL.

Would probably help to actually read what is written on the chart.
The chart still includes Humanistic Judaism, whatever anyone might think about.

After 25 years of being a convert

What a blessing.
General reminder that you are not Jewish and therefore can only ask questions here.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Even though they were not viewed by many to be "authentic Jews" centuries ago, they now are pretty much accepted as such today. A large part of the problem was that they definitely considered out of the mainstream of orthodoxy, and not only did mysticism feed into that, so did the elevated position of the rebbe.

There are some here who can go into more detail than I can, so I'll defer to them.
I don't think that's exactly accurate. The main hesitancy towards accepting Hassidism as part of normative Judaism was because of the Sabbatai Zvi incident just a few years before that. Because of that there was incredible hesitancy towards a movement that expounded on mysticism because of the fear of another Sabbatai Zvi incident. But the leaders of the anti-Hassidic denomination (namely the Vilna Gaon) wrote a number of commentaries on mysticism. So it wasn't the mysticism itself that was the issue.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't think that's exactly accurate. The main hesitancy towards accepting Hassidism as part of normative Judaism was because of the Sabbatai Zvi incident just a few years before that. Because of that there was incredible hesitancy towards a movement that expounded on mysticism because of the fear of another Sabbatai Zvi incident. But the leaders of the anti-Hassidic denomination (namely the Vilna Gaon) wrote a number of commentaries on mysticism. So it wasn't the mysticism itself that was the issue.
I'm not familiar with the incident above, so I was just parroting what I have read through some other sources.

BTW, the chasid that I really have enjoyed reading was Nachman of Braslav, one point he liked to make was that one could not approach God through intellect but through emotion. Sorta like immersing one's self into God, you might say. Sounds more eastern. ;)

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm not familiar with the incident above, so I was just parroting what I have read through some other sources.
Its about this false messianic claimant named Sabbatai Zvi. Basing himself on kaballistic ideas, he claimed to be the messiah and found himself a 'prophet' to agree with him. He caused terrible havoc among the Orthodox population of the time and its effects can still be felt today.

BTW, the chasid that I really have enjoyed reading was Nachman of Braslav, one point he liked to make was that one could not approach God through intellect but through emotion. Sorta like immersing one's self into God, you might say. Sounds more eastern. ;)
I'm not so familiar with his path as I haven't really studied much of his or his student's works. I do know that he encourages going to the forest for a short time and speaking and praying to G-d naturally.
From the little bit I did see myself, I will say that assuming he doesn't require intense (intellectual) study as part of his path would be foolishness. His books are not for the layman to put it mildly. He also has a commentary on the entirety of the Shulchan Aruch, so consistent with Orthodoxy, following Halacha is paramount.