• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Always Right Side Up

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Can anyone explain how it is when two space ships meet, there are both always "right side up"?

I can see how there is a something or other in all starfleet ships that keeps track of it and corrects it so when starfleet ships meet, they are both "right side up".

But even when meeting another alien species for the first time, all ship at the meeting are "right side up".

It boggles the mind it does.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The majority of people have two-dimensional brains and have trouble thinking in 3D.

Viker

Häxan
Can anyone explain how it is when two space ships meet, there are both always "right side up"?

I can see how there is a something or other in all starfleet ships that keeps track of it and corrects it so when starfleet ships meet, they are both "right side up".

But even when meeting another alien species for the first time, all ship at the meeting are "right side up".

I Kno. What is "up" in space anyways?

Why do most aliens even have ships?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It may be that the view screen only shows them that way. They could be upside-down, but the viewscreen adjusts.

Or it could have been agreed upon by interplanetary treaty.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

They aren't really right side up, but rather right side up is very relative to the person percieving it. Obviously both ships will thing they are right side up, even if they see each other as upside down.
But that's how it would work in real life. But, in the movies? It would look more Family Guy than Star Trek for the ships to be at odd angles.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Actually, what I've always wondered is that, in the numerous times they've been attacked or had a massive systems failure - or sometimes even floating "dead in space," the one ship's system which always works is the artificial gravity.
Cheaper to film/record that way. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It's the Schweinstein bozone directional field which
pervades all of space, imposing a universal up & down.
This is caused by all matter interacting with top & bottom quarks.

MikeF

Premium Member

It would take up too much precious dialogue and screen minutes to always show the negotiated exchange to decide which ship must turn 'right-side-up".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Well if it's upside down, all the cool ductwork and dryer hoses won't fall out of the ceiling during an epic space battle.

It's a universal and common issue, so all ship captions make a note of that when they face each other in battle.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Its the magic of television...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's the Schweinstein bozone directional field which
pervades all of space, imposing a universal up & down.
This is caused by all matter interacting with top & bottom quarks.

Don't forget the up and down quarks...

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

What a silly question. They all fly with their orientation aligned with the top of the universe, of course. :D

Erebus

It's just good manners really. Have you ever tried talking to somebody who insists on being upside down? It's annoying as hell. Getting into a laser fight with them is even worse, trust me.

You just don't need people like that in your life.