• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allah, Yahweh, or Jehovah

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yahweh is not Hebrew, its English, a poor attempt at translating Hebrew. And Allah is the Arabic name for the God of Abraham, not some generic "god".

hate to say it, but allah is the word god in the arabic language. Its a common noun, not a proper noun.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
God and Allah are always capitalized by religious people. Read the link I posted.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Okay however, Arabic wasn't the language of the time. Hebrew was the main language of the time.

Well then why aren't you speaking Hebrew, you are using the word God, that's not Hebrew!! Arabs speaking Arabic use the word Allah for God. Arabs have just as much right to speak Arabic instead of Hebrew as you have to speak English instead of Hebrew. Remember you're the one accusing all Arabs, be they Christian, Jewish or Muslim of worshiping a false God.

Lyndon

Premium Member
When written in English it does, I can't speak for Arabic, learned the Alphabet once, can't even remember if their were capitals or not.

Pegg it seemed was trying to distinguish the capital letter God of her Christianity from the small letter god of Arab people, which is incorrect, all the Muslims I see on this forum capitalize God and Allah when writing in English. Small letter god generally means a deity as opposed a supreme being which would be capitalized God.

Last edited:
Well then why aren't you speaking Hebrew, you are using the word God, that's not Hebrew!! Arabs speaking Arabic use the word Allah for God. Arabs have just as much right to speak Arabic instead of Hebrew as you have to speak English instead of Hebrew. Remember you're the one accusing all Arabs, be they Christian, Jewish or Muslim of worshiping a false God.
I'm not telling people to stop speaking their language. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm telling people to not use the names of false gods in substitute for the one True God Yahuah.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Yes you are, you're telling them they can't use the name Of God in their language, and they should worship a god you call Yahuah, a god I have never ever heard of in any language. If you mean Yeshua, another false god, never called himself a god, and yet millions of people think he is God, when he commonly referred to himself as the Son of Man

Lyndon

Premium Member
Chrodes says in your language, Arabic, God is a false God, but not in my language English, everyone knows you can't understand the Bible unless you read it in English!!!

Yes you are, you're telling them they can't use the name Of God in their language, and they should worship a god you call Yahuah, a god I have never ever heard of in any language. If you mean Yeshua, another false god, never called himself a god, and yet millions of people think he is God, when he commonly referred to himself as the Son of Man
Okay, again I'm telling people to use the correct name if that is what they are referring to. If they want to worship the false god Allah, so be it!
Correct Yesuah is a false god, it means the one who cries.
However Yahuah is ancient Hebrew. Which is in the ancient texts of the original scripts

Lyndon

Premium Member
If you are referring to the tetragrammaton, some people call Yahweh, then yes in Arabic, whether you're Christian, Jewish, or Muslim, it is translated as Allah in their language, so if Allah is a false God, then your God Yahuah/Yahweh is false as well, because they are one and the same.

GoodbyeDave

Allah, Yahweh, or Jehovah. Which one and why?
Allah is from Al-Ilah, which simply means "The God". It isn't Muslim: Arabic-speaking Christians use it, and it was used to refer to the Supreme Being in Arabia centuries before Muhammad.

The Hebrew equivalent would be El, from Old Canaanite Ilu, which occasionally occurs in the Jewish scriptures, although it is usually replaced by the form Elohim.

Jehovah is a 16th century mistranscription of Yahweh. Although Jews stopped pronouncing that name early on, it was still pronounced by the Samaritans in Roman times, which is how we know the vowels to add to the written YHWH. Yahweh was originally the guardian angel of the Israelites, as it says in Deuteronomy 32:
When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance, when he divided mankind, he fixed the bounds of the peoples according to the number of gods. Yahweh's portion is his people, Jacob is his inheritance.
Yahweh was only equated to El in the days of Hosea, if not as late as Isiah. Whether you consider the Jews to be worshiping El as a result, or not, is a moot point.

You could say, with Thomas Aquinas, that everyone who claims to be worshiping the Supreme Being is doing so, or though some may have a better concept than others. I'd say the question is how far the concept can get distorted before it becomes a different one. A man on a train may think he knows where he's going, but if he got on the wrong train, he's not going to get there.