• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allah, Yahweh, or Jehovah

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I understand your viewpoint. But I asked you if there is something in the Decalogue that led you to plural usage. But if you have something in the Tanakh that helps me understand that Exodus 20 says, "Don't take the Lord's multiple names in vain," I'm open-minded.
It doesn't specify in Exodus that God can only be referred to by one name.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
It doesn't specify in Exodus that God can only be referred to by one name.

I just looked again in a different version, and it seems clear:

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

The issue is we don't want to confuse a title for God, like "God", with God's name, like Jesus.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

The issue is we don't want to confuse a title for God, like "God", with God's name, like Jesus.

Do you think that people knew, at the time of this commandment, that God's name was Jesus?

Ciao

- viole

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Well, it certainly isn't "Jesus" that is referred to in the 10 Commandments, for obvious reasons. And, even in the passage you cited, God is referred to by "God" and "Lord". Both are "names" used, so which one are you claiming that it is?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Well, it certainly isn't "Jesus" that is referred to in the 10 Commandments, for obvious reasons. And, even in the passage you cited, God is referred to by "God" and "Lord". Both are "names" used, so which one are you claiming that it is?

I mentioned the name of Jesus just to "keep it real".

You are assuming the covenant name of God appears in the Exodus passage under discussion. I can tell my children, "don't misuse the name of your father, your dad" and neither is my name.