• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All the people on here who are spiritual but not religious.What has helped you on your path?

Frank Goad

All the people on here who are spiritual but not religious.What has helped you on your path?:)As for me I am methodist.:)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
All the people on here who are spiritual but not religious.What has helped you on your path?:)As for me I am methodist.:)
Question: if one never attends a Methodist service, then how can they be a Methodist?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I was baptized methodist.And can talk to other methodists on here.So that works for me.:)
That's fine & dandy with me as I only wondered how you looked at it.

With my wife & I, it's important to meet in "community" because of all the work the church needs to do and does, especially with working with the poor and disenfranchised as Jesus taught us.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
meditation, reading good books, listening to good speakers, lots of time outdoors (daytime, nighttime, good weather and bad), spending a lot of time with animals, learning to ask "how can I help?"...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I no longer see myself as spiritual so take what I say with a grain of salt.

What helped me was conversations with the Logos/Holy Spirit/God in guise.
Second, I would feel inspired to go somewhere and talk to someone or I'd go directly to a bookstore and grab a specific book. Both, either the person or the book would teach me something specific about spirituality. I'd assume that since this came via inspiration, what I read/was taught could be relied on.

PureX

Veteran Member
The biggest thing, for me, was the experience of being 'broken'. Of having my concept of life, of reality, of myself, of other people, of fate, and of pretty much everything else ... completely destroyed. Exposed, in my own eyes, as a great big pile of idiotic nonsense that I had made up, believed, and then used to nearly destroy myself. It's really a shock to be stripped 'down to gears and the wires' that thoroughly. And to have no idea what to do next.

Fortunately, there are people in this world who are willing to help other people when that happens to them, and I found some of those people. And slowly, and patiently, they helped me rebuild myself and my grasp of reality, and a sense of value and meaning in it all that I had never had before. This time based on honesty, and humility, and the 'wisdom of not knowing'.

-A very good and necessary psychologist.
-Eight years as an active member of Alcoholics Anonymous.
-Several years participating in a very good Bible debate/discussion group (at a Lutheran church).
-Several sober friends that have remained friends for 30 years.
-Several 'normal' friends that have been my friends for even longer.

The real answer to your question is this: I found "God" in the people around me, not in any church or any religion. And I was healed and saved from myself, in the most profound way, as a result.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Thinking about this for a while, my answer is "life". Some things are more helpful than others but sometimes even a small thing has proven highly significant.