• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All religions are false.

confused453

Imagine our galaxy having 200 billion to 400 billion stars. Imagine how many could have planets that have intelligent living beings, different or similar to us? And so other countless galaxies might too have as much intelligent live forms.

There're probably trillions of different religions out there, one better than the other. What makes you think that your religion is better than the countless possible other ones across the universe? :angel2:

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There're probably trillions of different religions out there, one better than the other. What makes you think that your religion is better that the countless possible other ones across the universe? :angel2:

My beliefs work for me, or I discard them and get newer ones. This makes it better for me than something which doesn't have a profound influence on me.

A slight problem with your thought process: it doesn't have to be a OR b are right, and this is a very Christo-Islamic mindset; it can be a and b are a and b's attempts by their society at finding the Truth with the tools and history they had at hand.

The word is agua, aqua, water, vatten, shui, mizu, Wasser.. the meaning is the same. Don't get hung up on tradition, culture, language, or myth.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
My beliefs work for me, or I discard them and get newer ones. This makes it better for me than something which doesn't have a profound influence on me.

A slight problem with your thought process: it doesn't have to be a OR b are right, and this is a very Christo-Islamic mindset; it can be a and b are a and b's attempts by their society at finding the Truth with the tools and history they had at hand.

The word is agua, aqua, water, vatten, shui, mizu, Wasser.. the meaning is the same. Don't get hung up on tradition, culture, language, or myth.

Hi Odion,

I am in wholehearted agreement with the approach you advocate. But! there is a section in there that I'd like to discuss...
it doesn't have to be a OR b are right, and this is a very Christo-Islamic mindset

In order to discuss, I'd better lay my cards on the table :)
I believe in what I understand to be the God of Abraham. I consider myself to be one who is attempting to submit to God/Allah.
I imagine the majority of people in any of the mainstream Abrahamic traditions would consider me beyond their fold. However I see in both Christianity and Islam a stream of thought which is most definitely not black and white. The examples of Rumi and in contemporary Christian writing, Newell or Borg spring immediately to mind.
From a muslim pov I find the writing of Dr. Ramadan most progressive.

I think the black and white literalism that you refer to is the product of a relatively small but vocal group of fundies who pervert the original progressive, generous, open and inclusive message of their religions. I do not think it's fair to characterise it as intrinsic to Abrahamic religious thought.

jasonwill2

Imagine our galaxy having 200 billion to 400 billion stars. Imagine how many could have planets that have intelligent living beings, different or similar to us? And so other countless galaxies might too have as much intelligent live forms.

There're probably trillions of different religions out there, one better than the other. What makes you think that your religion is better than the countless possible other ones across the universe? :angel2:

The attributes of Satan are inferred from the attributes of life. Humans are not made in the image of God, ALL LIFE AND REALITY is made in the image of God, or rather, is a direct reflection of him. Aliens on other planets would as well have specific instinctual drives similar to ours in function.

In Nomine Satanas.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think the black and white literalism that you refer to is the product of a relatively small but vocal group of fundies who pervert the original progressive, generous, open and inclusive message of their religions. I do not think it's fair to characterise it as intrinsic to Abrahamic religious thought.

You're probably right, Stephen; although what came to my mind when writing it was the whole "No-one comes to the Father but by Me" and "If anyone follows a religion other than Islam, it will not be accepted of him" views.

Still, it probably was unfair of me to characterise it as a Christo-Islamic mindset. :)

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
You're probably right, Stephen; although what came to my mind when writing it was the whole "No-one comes to the Father but by Me" and "If anyone follows a religion other than Islam, it will not be accepted of him" views.

Still, it probably was unfair of me to characterise it as a Christo-Islamic mindset. :)

I think the thing about scripture is that it says whatever we want it to :D. I don't discount its importance, but I prefer to focus on what I understand to be the spirit than the letter.

Re Jesus - I think that his line about "I am the way" to be the important one. The emphasis on path is what stands out to my mind.

Re Islam, I am fuly in the agreement with the quote you included. I think that each person must submit to whatever it is that they understand their nature to be. I see that expression as direction towards authenticity.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think the thing about scripture is that it says whatever we want it to :D. I don't discount its importance, but I prefer to focus on what I understand to be the spirit than the letter.
I wholly agree with you; I think the spirit is more important than the letter as well. If we just go by the letter we end up with... literalism. :D

Re Jesus - I think that his line about "I am the way" to be the important one. The emphasis on path is what stands out to my mind.
How do you interpret it?

Re Islam, I am fuly in the agreement with the quote you included. I think that each person must submit to whatever it is that they understand their nature to be. I see that expression as direction towards authenticity.
Now that's a definition of Islam and Muslim I can only hope to be. :)

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

Why would you assume one is better than another?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
To confused453:- Your wrote (part text):- What makes you think that your religion is better than the countless possible other ones across the universe?

Answer?:- Nothing makes me think that my 'belief' is better than the countless certain ones across the universe. Same God of all. Same God of Nothingness. All the same.

But you wrote 'religion'! I haven't got one of those. I don't bother with (organised or disorganised) religion at all, just God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I've been watching some recent science docs on tv.
Exploration to the notion, that ancient astronauts have become gods to the primitives of early centuries.

It seems to me...chemistry will vary from one planet to another and the life that forms will do likewise.

I believe there is only one God....one Creator.
And so the many and various forms of life are for His pleasure.

So again...some are on their way to God before us.
Having more development and ability.

It's not 'better'...just sooner.

oh!...let's not forget the assumption the priest made in...
"War of the Worlds"...by H.G. Wells.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
There're probably trillions of different religions out there, one better than the other. What makes you think that your religion is better than the countless possible other ones across the universe?
What does this have to do with your claim that "all religions are false"?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

How do you know there is countless other religions across the universe ?

According to Scripture, God first created the invisible heavenly realm.
Then God expanded the creation business to include a visible material realm.

If there was intelligent physical life elsewhere there would be no need to settle the sin issue that started in Eden because it would already be settled.
-Job chapter 2

Intelligent life elsewhere would mean faithful life elsewhere. Faithful life elsewhere would mean no sin. No sin would mean no death. That would mean there would be no need to settle any issues here because they would already have been settled.
Once the issues started in Eden are settled, then we can see intelligent life elsewhere.
Before that happens there will not be intelligent physical life elsewhere.

RedJamaX

What does this have to do with your claim that "all religions are false"?

I think the point of contention in the argument is that, if all of these religions are True (just as they are taught), then it would be impossible for any of them to be...

The only exception to this would be if the official teachings of ALL religions were to teach that EVERY religion, including their own, is simply a different set of stories (not historical events) used to teach the same lessons from the very same God, just that those stories are customized for a different group of peoples.

This is simply not true. I don't mean that any individuals don't believe that statement. What I'm saying is that, for any religion to be True, then all religions would have to teach the message above. And not just one or two individuals in these religions, but the institutions themselves would be responsible for delivering this message to their followers.

And now a logical argument against my own logic... So what if at least two religions that taught different stories in their scripture toward the same end of human understanding and morality were to admit what I said above??

Then I believe that those two religions would be, at the very least, More True than the others who claim that their religion is the ONLY truth.

RedJamaX

If there was intelligent physical life elsewhere there would be no need to settle the sin issue that started in Eden because it would already be settled.
-Job chapter 2

Intelligent life elsewhere would mean faithful life elsewhere. Faithful life elsewhere would mean no sin. No sin would mean no death. That would mean there would be no need to settle any issues here because they would already have been settled.
Once the issues started in Eden are settled, then we can see intelligent life elsewhere.
Before that happens there will not be intelligent physical life elsewhere.

So are you claiming that, due to the scripture of the Bible, it is impossible for there to be, or to have been, intelligent life anywhere else in the universe?