• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Intel processors have a bug

Jumi

Software patches on OS level (BSD, Linux, Mac, Windows etc) will have to be deployed to fix security. I've seen estimates from a performance hit of 20-35% to 5-30% across all Intel processors produced in last 10 years.

Thoughts?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Software patches on OS level (BSD, Linux, Mac, Windows etc) will have to be deployed to fix security. I've seen estimates from a performance hit of 20-35% to 5-30% across all Intel processors produced in last 10 years.

Thoughts?
I think...it was probably not a bug. It was probably a feature that only Intel knew about, but I don't know what bug you are referring to. Just ignore my sass.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Lets look at it this way. Intel has lots, and lots of secret CPU instructions that are not explained to the public, not put into the manuals. How are we supposed to know the difference between those and an actual bug.

Jumi

I think...it was probably not a bug. It was probably a feature that only Intel knew about, but I don't know what bug you are referring to. Just ignore my sass.
It could have been a hidden feature, who knows? But it brought them big trouble this time, so it's called a design flaw now. Microsoft and Linux developers are working overtime fixing the problem, I think the Linux kernel patch name . Probably same with Apple.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
It could have been a hidden feature, who knows? But it brought them big trouble this time, so it's called a design flaw now. Microsoft and Linux developers are working overtime fixing the problem, I think the Linux kernel patch name . Probably same with Apple.
Wow. I guess its time to switch over to my Rasberry Pi.

Jumi

Lets look at it this way. Intel has lots, and lots of secret CPU instructions that are not explained to the public, not put into the manuals. How are we supposed to know the difference between those and an actual bug.
I haven't had the time to read up on it in detail yet, but it sounds like this might be an unintended headache. Maybe also the reason why the Intel CEO sold his stocks half a month ago...

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Meh...there are software and hardware security patches all the time. Someone finds a bug, hopefully a researcher working for the company who comes up with a patch to fix it. Otherwise it is a black hat who exploits is and a patch is developed after the fact...the latter being the worse of the two

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts?
Another thought is that it increases sales for Intel, since the processors are suddenly less powerful. As Intel has most of the market this could be good for them.

suncowiam

Thoughts?

There's not a lot of detail here... Any links?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Wow. I guess its time to switch over to my Rasberry Pi.
Or go back to a Commodore 64

Thoughts?
It's not likely a bug, per se, or as techies prefer to call them, "an undocumented feature".

David T

Premium Member
I read that a young female intern at Intel discovered that they had red in the green line and a green in the yellow line and yellow in the red line. What a mess.. Now the code has to be rewritten to accommodate it. The chip was becoming too much like our brains with the beads all scrambled up.
  • images (8).jpeg
Apparently the chips were plotting an over throw and a workers rights sit down due to unfair labor practices and Intel wanted to put a stop to it before there was a global strike. All because the chips were becoming too much like a human brain. Intolerable to the bottom line.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
AMD benefits since the flaw is an Intel flaw.
True that. I wonder if RISC processors will ever beat out the Intel chipset? Its already in graphics cards, and I really do not like having secret processor tricks in my computer that has a camera pointed at my room.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
True that. I wonder if RISC processors will ever beat out the Intel chipset? Its already in graphics cards, and I really do not like having secret processor tricks in my computer that has a camera pointed at my room.
Some who are in security tape up the cameras on their computers and on their phones. I'm personally not too bothered if half the world watched me - they'd die of boredom soon enough. I'm not the one most likely to be a target, far from it.

And I also subscribe to the security philosophy - don't have the weakest system so that those who try to attack me give up and try someone else who is less protected.

David T

Premium Member
Risc processors lack an articulated thumb. They can do some tasks but without a thumb they have limitations. Now if they evolve a thumb watch out.

suncowiam

Here's my view on CPUs. Moore's law is slowing down for them because processor speeds cannot go higher due to electrical restrictions of copper based wiring. That's why we have clock speeds still stuck at giga hertz. To go faster would require a different medium or at different operating conditions outside of room temperature. To alleviate this, CPU designers have invested more in parallel computing which is basically adding more processors on the same die. Or it builds in other functionality into the die to reduce bottlenecks inherent with peripherals like main memory, cache, drive memory, GPU, Wifi, Display and so on. It could also go beyond 64 bits to 128 or even higher, but this requires a huge shift in OS design and so on.

Not sure if I'm helping but CPU slowing down is not because of design flaws as suggested.

David T

Premium Member
Yep.
Risc chips that can hitchhike I like it.
Yep and if That happens watch out, douglas Adams suddenly becomes a prophet and we are eliminated as a planet to make way for a galactic freeway.

BTW I love this site I get to make **** up and be normal for a "brief Moment in time". I should write a book on that catchy title. I think maybe a get wheel chair talk through a computer and get everyone going awww he is brilliant might just work!!!