• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Have Sinned

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I don’t think I can adequately explain the difference to you between practicing a religion or having a relationship with God, who is a living, personal Being. It is something you will have to experience yourself if you are to ever understand. I was raised in the Catholic Church and later joined other religious groups for varying times periods, so I know what religion is. It is definitely not the same as being born again to new life in Christ and having a loving relationship with the Living God.
Thank you. I think I have a flavour of what you mean. Do you consider a religion to be an unnecessary "apparatus" in your life now ?

InChrist

Free4ever
I have noticed that some Christian doctrines contradict the clear and straightforward teachings of Jesus in favor of the words of Paul, and I think it is important that Christians are aware of who they are following.

How Paul changed the course of Christianity

Thanks for the link, though I don’t see that the biblical scriptures show any contradictions between Jesus and Paul. Along with that the other Apostles were also in agreement with Paul and endorsed him as a fellow believer/leader sharing the gospel message.

I believe Paul teachings lined up with those of Jesus and he preached, the gospel or good news of God (which He had promises by his prophets in the holy scriptures) concerning His Son Jesus Christ.. (Romans 1:1-3). Thus the Bereans could check Paul’s message against the Old Testament (Acts 17:11). Paul used the Hebrew prophets, which were read in the synagogue each sabbath, to show that Jesus was the promised Messiah and to reveal further to the Jews and then the Gentiles, God’s redemptive plan.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
True, but if God is making the claim and has put all kinds of evidence out for any sincere seeker, including sending His only Son who conquered death in fulfillment of numerous prophesies, then I think it is a claim each person should consider giving serious attention to, don’t you?
Before going into this hypothetical, maybe first establish your premises.

Start with establishing that God exists at all. If you can't do that, I have no reason to take anything you say about what God has said or done seriously.

InChrist

Free4ever
Before going into this hypothetical, maybe first establish your premises.

Start with establishing that God exists at all. If you can't do that, I have no reason to take anything you say about what God has said or done seriously.
It’s not my place to establish God’s existence. God is a living, eternal Personal Being who has provided evidence and proves His own existence. I can on share my own experience in knowing God, but He has designed it so each person comes to Him directly to know Him. So establishing God’s existence is between you and God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It’s not my place to establish God’s existence.
If you want me to take you seriously, it most certainly is your place.

God is a living, eternal Personal Being who has provided evidence and proves His own existence.
I don't doubt that you believe this.

I can on share my own experience in knowing God, but He has designed it so each person comes to Him directly to know Him. So establishing God’s existence is between you and God.
Convenient.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, God made it convenient and personal. You don’t have to trust another person’s word, you go directly to God Himself and He will respond directly and personally to you.
Its convenient that god would make it personal and individual results will vary alomg with individual mileage. Because where is god? Truly I am open to this message, but it doesn't come.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, God made it convenient and personal. You don’t have to trust another person’s word, you go directly to God Himself and He will respond directly and personally to you.
When I said "convenient," I meant that you seem to have set up a system for yourself where you have no obligation at all to defend your position.

Not only that, you've managed to create an excuse for yourself to shield your beliefs: the fact that people like me see no reason whatsoever to think that your God actually exists is - to you - not a reason for you to stop and reconsider whether your beliefs are well-founded, but instead just what's expected from a "peekaboo God" who picks and chooses who he'll hide from and who he'll reveal himself to.

So when I say "convenient," I mean that the way you describe your belief system, it sounds like it doesn't require you to do much or think very hard.