• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Have Sinned

InChrist

Free4ever
In Romans 3:23 it is stated that...

...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

I think this certainly lines up with reality. I know I do and say plenty of wrong things and I don’t think anyone can honestly say they don’t.

Yet, the scriptures also say ...

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

and

God demonstrates His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

I’m thankful God offers His gift of love and freedom from an endless life impacted by sin.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think this certainly lines up with reality. I know I do and say plenty of wrong things and I don’t think anyone can honestly say they don’t.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:24

and

God demonstrates His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

I’m thankful God offers His gift of love and freedom from an endless life impacted by sin.

Your thoughts?

I used to say "Everybody interprets the Bible differently" which, although in some cases that is a true statement, by and large it is used because we didn't (I didn't) know what it said,

After I received Jesus Christ and started reading, I was amazed how much was black and white.

Great post.

But wasn't that Romans 6:23 and not 24?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I suspect Paul projected quite a bit.

84708f5aed4d0da75d6d288c3b461411.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

and

Your thoughts?

I don't do sin its irrelevant to me

My law is the law of the country i live in and my own moral code, i need no god sitting on my shoulder to tell me what is right or wrong. To say i have committed "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law" is rather an insult.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

and

Your thoughts?

I see myself born blessed without inherited (can't think of a neutral word) sin or inherited transgressions. I find that very depressing and puts a lot of guilt and shame on the pscyhe to where he or she sees himself unworthy of blessings. I also see it damaging because many who leave God feel they are not worthy enough. It also installs fear. What would happen if you were eternally blessed from birth? You'd not need to be saved. No salvation, no one is with God.

So it's better that one sees themselves as eternally and inheritedly sinless. When one sins they aren't doing what their nature tells them but falling from what their nature tells them Not to do. The analogy I gave before....we are not drowning, but we are kept from drowning. Don't ask me why we play near the deep in but it's not because of inherited sin.

That's how I would see it if I were Christian. Not all god believers see ourselves as sinners by default so we wouldn't need to be saved cause those religious would already have a perfect relationship with God.

I honestly can't make sense of inherited sin and can not see it any other way but inheritedly blessed.

danieldemol

Premium Member

and

Your thoughts?
1. Making mistakes won't deprive us of salvation if we try to avoid them because God is compassionate.
2. As noted by @epronovost Jesus made mistakes (consider trashing a temple He did not own or His egotism in claiming to be the only way to salvation).
3. The wages of virtue is a blessed eternal life in my beliefs. Everyone gets an eternal life.
4. In my beliefs Jesus dying for us is no better or worse than many others who have been martyred for saying what they believed to be true. It is the example that counts.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

and

Your thoughts?

Nice post @InChrist.

To understand all those verses, you must first understand what “sin” is, Biblically speaking....
The common Hebrew term translated “sin” is chat·taʼthʹ; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·tiʹa. In both languages the verb forms (Heb., cha·taʼʹ; Gr., ha·mar·taʹno) mean “miss,” in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point. In archery e.g. it means to “miss the target”.
So, understanding that “sin” is simply missing an optimum standard (perfection) helps us to realise why it applies to all of us. None of us are perfect....but that was not always the case.

In essence, for those of us who identify as Christians, or even those who worship the God of Abraham, it means a failure to display the standard of perfection with which God created our first parents.

“Defection” (as opposed to “perfection”) in the garden of Eden, was a deviation from that which God originally purposed for his human creation. “Sin” then manifested itself in various ways, according to scripture.....spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally. Humans now “missed the mark” of their original perfection in all these areas, to a greater or lesser degree.

The Bible actually identifies two kinds of “sin”.....the one that affects all humankind from birth, which results in physical defects, mental and physical illness, ageing and death. None of these were in the original models, as there was no natural cause of sickness, disability or death in the original paradise.....it would not have been paradise if any of those things were present. It would also explain why we have no natural acceptance of these things, and why they are seen as unwelcome and unnatural to the majority of us. We have no control over this sin (imperfection). It’s part of the way things are for the present. It is not our fault.

The other kind of “sin” is a product of our natural inclination towards wrongdoing and making wrong decisions, based on faulty thinking. This involves our free will. This is the sin we choose to commit deliberately, even when we know better. This is the one for which we bear responsibility.

Thankfully, the Bible gives us hope of a way out of this ‘less than optimal’ existence, where the abuse of free will (which got us into this mess in the first place) will no longer dictate the quality of our lives. We are all sick of those who abuse their free will, ruining the lives of others, who have their free will trampled on.

A disobedient human (Adam) got us into this predicament, and an obedient human (Jesus) has paid for us to get back what we lost.

Who doesn’t, in their heart, want to live in paradise, with no sickness, ageing or death robbing us of our much loved family and friends?......with no wars, crime or violence taking away peace and security from the world? There is a reason why most of us long for such a life......sin took it away. God made it possible to get it back.

We are not without hope.....:)

InChrist

Free4ever
I used to say "Everybody interprets the Bible differently" which, although in some cases that is a true statement, by and large it is used because we didn't (I didn't) know what it said,

After I received Jesus Christ and started reading, I was amazed how much was black and white.

Great post.

But wasn't that Romans 6:23 and not 24?
Yes, I corrected the reference. It is 6:23. My mistake.

I too was amazed at how clear and simple the basic gospel message was... after being saved. Before that I truly was blind and so spiritually confused.

InChrist

Free4ever
I am without sin. I have made mistakes, I have done things I shouldn't have, but I am a human amd I have done the best I can to see and learn of my past errors and not repeat them. I am not a "sinner," nor does that make me one.
You are free to your own opinion, but the scriptures which claim to be God the Creator’s word on the subject says we are all sinful. So disagree if you like, but I think it’s wise to go with God’s viewpoint.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You are free to your own opinion, but the scriptures which claim to be God the Creator’s word on the subject says we are all sinful. So disagree if you like, but I think it’s wise to go with God’s viewpoint.
I can claim to speak for god as well, or wrote a book that does that. Muhammad dis that. Joseph Smith did that.
Scripture alone doesn't prove scripture.
Thus, I am not a sinner.

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't do sin its irrelevant to me

My law is the law of the country i live in and my own moral code, i need no god sitting on my shoulder to tell me what is right or wrong. To say i have committed "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law" is rather an insult.
Well, if it’s irrelevant to you, you didn’t need to respond. I simply put the message from the scriptures out for those who may feel it relevant enough to discuss.
The scriptures indicate there is a Creator who has communicated with humanity concerning the subject of sin and the remedy. Since it’s also indicated this had eternal ramifications, I consider this subject very important, but if you don’t... okay.

InChrist

Free4ever
I can claim to speak for god as well, or wrote a book that does that. Muhammad dis that. Joseph Smith did that.
Scripture alone doesn't prove scripture.
Thus, I am not a sinner.
I consider the biblical scriptures on an entirely different level than the writings of Muhammad or Joseph Smith. I think one who sincerely does reading and research seeking truth would come to the same conclusion, but again you are free to disregard the Bible and have your opinion.