• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All About Souls!

HopefulNikki

Sunstone said:
If a person can feel hope, how is it possible to say that hope is not observable?
Well, if a person can feel that they have a soul, how is it possible to say that a soul is not observable?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
Well then why would you say that a soul is useless simply because it isn't observable?

I never said that a soul is useless. Please don't put words in my mouth. I said the concept (i.e. the idea, the notion) of a soul is useless because the concept does not refer to anything that can be observed. To elaborate: The concept is supposed to refer to something that exists. Yet, it doesn't refer to anything that passes the test of existence. Namely, whether it can be observed. Therefore the concept is useless.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
Well, if a person can feel that they have a soul, how is it possible to say that a soul is not observable?

How do you know they aren't feeling indigestion and mistaking it for their soul?

HopefulNikki

Sunstone said:
I never said that a soul is useless. Please don't put words in my mouth. I said the concept (i.e. the idea, the notion) of a soul is useless because the concept does not refer to anything that can be observed. To elaborate: The concept is supposed to refer to something that exists. Yet, it doesn't refer to anything that passes the test of existence. Namely, whether it can be observed. Therefore the concept is useless.
But we just said (I think, lol) that if one can feel it then it is observable...I think I a lot of people feel that they have souls...therefore, it's observable, and therefore the idea is not useless...right?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
But we just said (I think, lol) that if one can feel it then it is observable...I think I a lot of people feel that they have souls...therefore, it's observable, and therefore the idea is not useless...right?

There's more than one meaning of the word "feel". Are you sure you're not equivocating on various meanings of the word here? Is feeling you have a soul the same as feeling you have indigestion? Are we talking about observable feelings in both cases?

HopefulNikki

Sunstone said:
There's more than one meaning of the word "feel". Are you sure you're not equivocating on various meanings of the word here? Is feeling you have a soul the same as feeling you have indigestion? Are we talking about observable feelings in both cases?
I dunno, you made the analogy, lol

HopefulNikki

Sunstone said:
You've lost me. :confused:
Weren't you the one who said "feeling" indigestion could be the same as "feeling" that you have a soul?...and then you proceeded to question equivocation of terms? You've lost me, too, LOL

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
Weren't you the one who said "feeling" indigestion could be the same as "feeling" that you have a soul?...and then you proceeded to question equivocation of terms? You've lost me, too, LOL

How is "feeling" that you have a soul an observation?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
How is feeling that you have hope an observation?

So, you're suggesting that feeling hope and feeling that you have a soul are both observations?

HopefulNikki

Sunstone said:
So, you're suggesting that feeling hope and feeling that you have a soul are both observations?
Well it seems like both are subjective, so I don't see the reasoning behind denying or accepting one over the other.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
Well it seems like both are subjective, so I don't see the reasoning behind denying or accepting one over the other.

But what does that have to do with their being observable or not?

Is feeling hope observable in precisely the same way or sense that feeling one has a soul is observable? Doesn't "feeling hope" refer to physical feelings, while "feeling one has a soul" refers to thought?

HopefulNikki

Sunstone said:
But what does that have to do with their being observable or not?

Is feeling hope observable in precisely the same way or sense that feeling one has a soul is observable? Doesn't "feeling hope" refer to physical feelings, while "feeling one has a soul" refers to thought?
I don't know...when you said hope was observable, what did you mean? I don't think hope is a "physical" feeling, like pain; I think it's an emotional/psychological (possibly spiritual?) feeling

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I take it that subjective "verification" is out, eh? What if by chance someone was able to give tips to uncovering inner awareness? Would that count as proof if it worked for most people?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HopefulNikki said:
I don't know...when you said hope was observable, what did you mean? I don't think hope is a "physical" feeling, like pain; I think it's an emotional/psychological (possibly spiritual?) feeling

We have different ideas of what hope feels like, methinks. At any rate, I'm about to go to bed, so I have to break this off. Good conversation, Nikki!

HopefulNikki

Sunstone said:
We have different ideas of what hope feels like, methinks. At any rate, I'm about to go to bed, so I have to break this off. Good conversation, Nikki!
Thanks! I always love talking to you! I would give you Frubals but I have to spread some more first! :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I dunno, I see nothing impressive in this thread in the slightest. In the oddest way it seems to be the other side of the coin to "god did it" threads. The simple fact is, that the "soul" is observable -- subjectively. The simple fact is that if you did exactly what I told you to do you would soon unearth your own "observable evidence".

Trust me, I wouldn't wave relatively meaningless religious texts in your nose OR demand you have faith. I would simply work from the inside out and encourage you to dream.

Egads, what am I saying? :cover: Dreams... pfffffttt. :sleep: How silly. :slap:

HopefulNikki

YmirGF said:
I dunno, I see nothing impressive in this thread in the slightest. In the oddest way it seems to be the other side of the coin to "god did it" threads. The simple fact is, that the "soul" is observable -- subjectively. The simple fact is that if you did exactly what I told you to do you would soon unearth your own "observable evidence".

Trust me, I wouldn't wave relatively meaningless religious texts in your nose OR demand you have faith. I would simply work from the inside out and encourage you to dream.

Egads, what am I saying? :cover: Dreams... pfffffttt. :sleep: How silly. :slap:
What do you mean by "soul"?