• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alien/Human Ethic

cardero

Citizen Mod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82PpxXVSbMc&feature=related

This is sort of an upgrade to Fluffy’s Animal/Plant Ethics thread. The reason that I am using this comparison, is to demonstate that victims of UFO abductions have sometime reported that through their abduction experiences, they can understand what a captive animal feels like when humans experiment on them. Most abductees feel that this is in direct violation to their human rights even though their captors have assured them otherwise. I have designed my questions from some of the responses from Fluffy’s thread to see if RF members still agree with their opinins and if this Animal/Plant Ethic is different or if these same principles can be carried over when there is a higher power standing above humans.

Does technologically advanced beings rank in higher hierarchy?

Does their intellegence afford them more power to abduct, exploit and experiment on humans?

Do alien beings differentiate? Do they see humans as just another animal?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Cool thread Pat!

Does technologically advanced beings rank in higher hierarchy?

I would say that if a being is more technologically advanced than another, that such technology will allow it to enforce it's position in a "higher " rank of relationship.
For example, a human being on its own is a pretty weak and feeble excuse for a creature, stick us in a one-on-one situation with a great many of the animals on this planet, from crocodilians to cats to kangaroos, and we'll lose out. Give us technology though and we can artificially gain the advantage.

Does their intellegence afford them more power to abduct, exploit and experiment on humans?

Yes, yes it would.

Do alien beings differentiate? Do they see humans as just another animal?
Well, we can only imagine. But I would guess they would see us as the most interesting animal on this planet simply due to our technology. Although, if they were going for language complexity then humpback whales would be more interesting, since their language is far more complex than any human's.

You bring up human rights in your post, but when you think about it, as far as the cosmos is concerned there are no such thing as rights, nothing and no-one has the right to anything.
Rights, especially human rights, are manufactured concepts, derived from our ability to empathise with others of our species. Aliens wouldn't necessarily empathise with us at all, especially considering how destructive we are, they might well see as a disease in need of eradication before it spreads.
We don't have the innate right to be treated in any specific manner, if we want to be treated a certain way we may need fight for it, either violently or through demonstrating those qualities we find worthy in ourselves.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Great idea. I thought of this type of thing in reading the other thread. Everything is relative. If they were that much more technologically advanced than us, then they'd have the right to do that stuff to us, not that that makes it right. We only do it to animals because it benefits us, and we have the power to. I don't think we should do it to animals, and I don't think they should do it to us, but they might have different thoughts about it.

Maille

Maybe they dont know how we work or maybe they don't understand that we are not just another tool. Like some humans dont see animals as having emotions while others do and so animal crulity still goes on. Maybe its the same. It could also be like power stuggles on earth. Hitler tried to take over the world maybe aliens have the same power stuggles going on and even try to take over on earth by doing experiments on humans to find weaknesses or allies.