• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Jazeera Reporter Shot Dead During Israeli Raid in West Bank

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The Arab Muslims hate the Jews because they're Jews. The Jews hate the Arab Muslims for hating the Jews just because they're Jews.

This is an extreme oversimplification of a decades-long geopolitical--and also partially religious--conflict. There is a lot of antisemitism in fundamentalist Islamic thought (which not all Muslims subscribe to in the first place), but there's also a lot of legitimate criticism concerning Israel's violations of international law mainly by building illegal settlements and committing war crimes.

Shaul

Premium Member
More than one witness so far has directly blamed Israeli soldiers for firing on the reporter. The article doesn't express any sureness as to who shot her, though.
Did those witnesses also see who was on the grassy knoll?

We Never Know

No Slack
What makes reporters think their lives are so valuable? As if wearing a Press Vest in a warzone is going to garner special understanding and respect from elite trained soldiers who are there to focus on the mission, with you just getting in the way.

Yep. In a war, hostile area sadly anyone could be killed at anytime.

We Never Know

No Slack
More than one witness so far has directly blamed Israeli soldiers for firing on the reporter. The article doesn't express any sureness as to who shot her, though.

I hate to say it but I will say it. That job had that risk.
Same as working security for contractors in Afganistan has the risk of dying.
Same as being a firefighter has the risk of dying.

Its sux when they die but they all new that risk was there when they took the job.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yes when an IDF sniper deliberately shoots a female journalist in the face, people die

F1fan

Veteran Member

Its sux when they die but they all new that risk was there when they took the job.
Accidents are one thing. You always have way to minimize that. But being murdered?

And she's a well known and respected journalist, so I suspect there's going to be a price to pay by someone. Israel is really pushing the limits of their supporters.

We Never Know

No Slack
Accidents are one thing. You always have way to minimize that. But being murdered?

And she's a well known and respected journalist, so I suspect there's going to be a price to pay by someone. Israel is really pushing the limits of their supporters.

Was she murdered or a casualty of the hostile environment. Whats the difference?

If someone goes to a hostile area and is killed..
Are they murdered or a casualty of the hostile area?

Last edited:

Lyndon

Premium Member
If a soldier deliberately kills an unarmed civilian for no good reason that's murder, not an accident!!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Did those witnesses also see who was on the grassy knoll?

The witnesses who have dismissed the suggestion that she was shot by militants include her producer and another reporter, both of whom were in close proximity to her during the incident.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Her producer and another journalist have said she was targeted by soldiers. If true, that would constitute a major violation of international law and not just an accidental killing.

She had American citizenship, so I hope the U.S. keeps pressing for a proper and thorough investigation of what happened and how she was killed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What makes reporters think their lives are so valuable? As if wearing a Press Vest in a warzone is going to garner special understanding and respect from elite trained soldiers who are there to focus on the mission, with you just getting in the way.
Good soldiers do their best to avoid killing non-combatants.

Someone wearing kevlar near a battle could easily be mistaken for a combatant unless clearly identified as a non-combatant.

There are many classes of non-combatants, and they all want to be easily distinguishable from each other. Press teams want to be able to quickly identify their own members and don't want to be mistaken for, say, doctors.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Both sides will blame the other and nothing will be done.

Who are the "both sides" in this case, though? Israel has one of the world's most powerful militaries, which it has used to expand its illegal settlements. Palestinians don't have anywhere near that military capability.

For comparison, would it be accurate or fair to refer to Russia and Ukraine as "both sides" as if they were equivalent in the Russo-Ukrainian War even though Russia is a clear aggressor and occupant of Ukrainian territory?

Lyndon

Premium Member
Good soldiers do their best to avoid killing non-combatants.

Someone wearing kevlar near a battle could easily be mistaken for a combatant unless clearly identified as a non-combatant.

There are many classes of non-combatants, and they all want to be easily distinguishable from each other. Press teams want to be able to quickly identify their own members and don't want to be mistaken for, say, doctors.
Her outfit had press written on it in big letters obvious that is the reason she was being targeted by IDF

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Who are the "both sides" in this case, though? Israel has one of the world's most powerful militaries, which it has used to expand its illegal settlements. Palestinians don't have anywhere near that military capability.

For comparison, would it be accurate or fair to refer to Russia and Ukraine as "both sides" as if they were equivalent in the Russo-Ukrainian War even though Russia is a clear aggressor and occupant of Ukrainian territory?

I believe so, they're definitely not working together so I'd call them 2 sides. I don't understand what the objection would be?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I saw that too.

Apparently Israeli police said Palestinian rioters sparked the violence by throwing stones at the officers, however I doubt the coffin bearers were busy throwing stones considering they had their hands full with the coffin.

Charging and beating the coffin bearers just looked like shameless police brutality to me and I hope they are subject to a thorough and independent investigation for that.

It was truly distressing to see.

In my opinion.

Lyndon

Premium Member
It just goes to show what scumbags these police and military forces are