• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AirTran Removes Two Muslim Families from Flight and Refuses to Rebook Even After FBI Clears Them

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I don't think that I've ever flown AirTran (my parents have) but I will NOT be flying with them any time soon.

The families of Atif Irfan, a tax attorney, and his brother Kashif Irfan, an anesthesiologist, were removed from a flight before takeoff Thursday after a passenger reported hearing Atif Irfan's wife say something the passenger thought was suspicious.

The airline declined to say what comment was overheard. But Atif Irfan say the couple was discussing the safest place to sit on a plane and speculates that someone misconstrued their intent.

Family members Friday said they are particularly concerned about AirTran's actions after they were removed from the flight. AirTran refused to rebook the family on a subsequent flight, even after FBI agents cleared them of wrongdoing and intervened on their behalf, the Irfans said.

"The FBI agents actually cleared our names," said Inayet Sahin, Kashif Irfan's wife. "And they went on our behalf and spoke to the airlines and said, 'There is no suspicious activity here. They are clear. Please let them get on a flight so they can go on their vacation,' and they still refused."
Muslim family removed from plane remains at odds with airline - CNN.com

Trey of Diamonds

I heard about that, very strange in my opinion. I've never liked the idea of taking the word of other passengers. All it takes is someone on standby to tell the counter person he heard the guy with a beard talking about the safest place to sit on the plane and bingo, he gets to fly and the guy with a beard gets hasseled. Sad world we live in.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That sucks. :( I really feel for these people. The alienation that they must feel, struggling to even get on a plane, and even on the streets. Stupid things like this doesn't help anyone.

Yet another case of "Flying While Muslim", I guess.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
I heard about that, very strange in my opinion. I've never liked the idea of taking the word of other passengers. All it takes is someone on standby to tell the counter person he heard the guy with a beard talking about the safest place to sit on the plane and bingo, he gets to fly and the guy with a beard gets hasseled. Sad world we live in.
It's very sad. They should have had an apology, and rebooking, not to mention compensation.

As for taking the word of other passengers. I think they have to...Imagine if they ignored such advice and something did happen...The sht really would hit the fan.