• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agree or Disagree? Adam & Eve existed because Jesus mentions them.

Dubio

I disagree.

1) Just because someone mentions a person or character in the past doesn't necessarily mean the person believes the person/character in the past is a real person.

2) The bible is not reliable as to what Jesus actually said.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Maybe I'm missing something. The story of Adam and Eve is found in the second chapter of the first book of the Jewish canon, while Jesus is only found in the Christian scripture.

What does one have to do with the other?

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Maybe I'm missing something. The story of Adam and Eve is found in the second chapter of the first book of the Jewish canon, while Jesus is only found in the Christian scripture.

Without original sin there is no redemption in Christ.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Sounds like a matter of circular logic considering the existence of Jesus is doubted by experts. By experts I mean people who are not theologians

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

This should already be clear. A question was formed joining them together.

Sleeppy

There's little anyone can do, to verify anyone who's so far gone into the past. Jesus probably believed that Adam and Eve existed; or that it didn't particularly matter.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You asked what one had to do with the other? I answered. It's not brain surgery.

Please reread the OP because your response really didn't relate to the question asked. I would suggest answering it first and then moving on to a different tangent if you feel it's appropriate. Here's the question from the OP: Agree or Disagree? Adam & Eve existed because Jesus mentions them.

Dubio

I was kind of debating a Conservative Christian and I told him that I don't believe Adam & Eve existed. He responded by saying Adam & Eve existed because Jesus mentioned them. His theology hinges on the fall of man in the garden so he insists Adam & Eve were real people. He said Genesis should be viewed as historical unless it can be proven otherwise.

I couldn't get anywhere with him so I was looking to get a better argument the next time this situation arises again in the future.

Sleeppy

I was kind of debating a Conservative Christian and I told him that I don't believe Adam & Eve existed. He responded by saying Adam & Eve existed because Jesus mentioned them. His theology hinges on the fall of man in the garden so he insists Adam & Eve were real people. He said Genesis should be viewed as historical unless it can be proven otherwise.

I couldn't get anywhere with him so I was looking to get a better argument the next time this situation arises again in the future.

That's common. Go to any religion and ask them about their respective religious forefathers. They normally won't deny them.

factseeker88

factseeker88
I disagree.

Before the Garden of Man already existed. so Adam and Eve were not the first.

Genesis 26 (long before the Garden of Eden) And God said, let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: (LET US indicates that their was more than one God.

How do the believers explain that?

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]factseeker88[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900) [/FONT]

Dubio

Before the Garden of Man already existed. so Adam and Eve were not the first.

Genesis 26 (long before the Garden of Eden) And God said, let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: (LET US indicates that their was more than one God.

How do the believers explain that?

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]factseeker88[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900) [/FONT]

They will say it's a hint of the Trinity. But is a hint a fact? No, but it's good enough for them. I think polytheism was a more common belief among the Israelites than what the writers of several books of the OT lead people to believe.

BruceDLimber

You can also consider the fact that the Baha'i scriptures stipulate the existence of Adam (though not necessarily as the first man ever) but explain that Eve is metaphorical.

Peace, :)

Bruce