1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age of a person

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Vinayaka, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,516
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    There are kinds of ages, only one being accurate to determine:
    chronological age
    physical age
    emotional age
    intellectual age
    spiritual age

I think there is a tendency to overuse the first one, when each person is actually 5 (or more) different ages simultaneously. They could be 20 chronologically, 30 physically due to an unhealthy lifestyle, 5 emotionally by throwing temper tantrums common to a 5 year old, 40 intellectually, because they were given a gift of intelligence, and 10 spiritually, because they're not at all sure about that stuff.

So ... when you're dealing with another person on this planet, which type of age are you aware of, if any? I personally find it useful, because if a 70 year old person has temper tantrums, showing a low emotional age, there is more tolerance. You would be patient with the chronological 5 year old, but not with the 70 year old that has the same emotional age.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Katzpur

Katzpur Not your average Mormon

Ratings:
    +6,246
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    My first thought is that most of these different ages can be at least estimated based on observable behaviors. I'm not sure what you mean by spiritual age, though, and I have no idea how one's spiritual age could possible be measured.

3. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,516
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Thank you. I concur that observable behaviour (along with words) could be an estimate. Heck, even for chronological age, we often make an estimate, subconsciously. For spiritual age, I think of the word wisdom. I realised not everyone could relate. In some branches of Hinduism, it might also be termed soul age. I see wisdom as somewhat different from both intellect and emotion, although both could be related.

#3 Vinayaka, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  4. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +6,246
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    I see our "soul" age as being in the billions of years. I see spiritual age differently, but I've never really thought about to define it or determine it. Intellectual age has to be tied to intellect; I mean, with the same root, how could that not be the case. A person can have wisdom without it impacting his spiritual age, though. To me (others may not share this perspective, which is okay), one's spiritual age has to do with the degree to which he connects to a higher power. And I'm not sure that can be measured by any means we have available to us.

• Like Like x 1
  5. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +16,767
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    I don't see "vintage age"? :mad:

6. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Religion:
    Christian
    That's interesting, what immediately jumped to me was a sort of spiritual maturity, like the sometimes noticeable cycle of the zeal of new belief, followed by rigid dogmatism, followed by a mellowing to a sublime communion with God and a level of comfortableness about your situation.

But, I can see this angle as well. The degree of connection to the divine.

I don't think we'll get broad popular agreement about it, but I know that I believe there are hallmarks to someone who is truly in communion with the divine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,516
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    I think it's measured also partly by observation. The spiritually old cheer people up with their presence, for example. I see humility, morality, and having common sense as being part of it too, and I like your idea of being connected to a higher power. But again, that is hard to tell. Just because someone tells you they're connected doesn't mean they are.

Maybe next time somebody asks my age, I'll respond with, "Which type of age are you asking about?"

8. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,516
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    What would be some of your hallmarks?

9. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +6,246
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    I totally think you hit the nail on the head!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Religion:
    Christian
    Serenity, clarity of purpose, and charity are the big starters.

• Like Like x 2