• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afterlife

BFD_Zayl

one day, we shall all go to our respective places...mine is the elysian fields, maybe Erebus, hopefully NOT Tartarus, the best option would be for me to be allowed to stand by Thanatos's side, along with the others of my path.

First of all, God should have been smart enough to realize that His own creation might rebel against Him if there was no evidence for Him, and if anything, evidence AGAINST Him. He is basically blaming us for His lack of providing evidence. I can't see how humans are wrong denying His existence because of that...

Since when did Atheism victimize anyone? And since when was Atheism even comparable to raping a teenage girl or beating a child to his gruesome death? What is wrong with Atheists being right up there in heaven with the Christians?

So God is blaming us for Him creating the ability to steal and rebel, and threatens us with Hellfire? How pathetic

How many times do i get hrown with this reply. god dint create us to do it. Its the human nature after the fall. And god doesnt blame, your the one blamming god because you dont understand things fully. anyway mabey you can answer this question for me to the reicarnation theory. Why is it that humanity is growing bigger, if we started of with x amount of people?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Thats an interesting theory - I have always hoped that rincarnation does exist! It is one of my favorite. The only problem I have with it, is if we keep having lives so that we can become good enough, surely that rules out hell or judgement (by God) for those who do seriously wrong and do not turn to God i.e Murderers etc.
Why is this a problem?

Or do you believe that only the Good are reincarnated? :)
If the point of reincarnation is to "become good enough" then what would be the point of only "the good" being reincarnated? It would seem that "the good" would no longer "need" it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ok, I am hoping I am posting this in the right place. I get confused where I am!

I was just wondering everyones idea/perspective/belief on the afterlife - is there one? what does it consist of? or do our thoughts just perish. I am looking for everybodies answer so whether you are muslim, christian, pagan etc etc feel free.....
Hi, Laws. In a nutshell, I believe that the spirit is eternal, that it existed as a cognizant entity prior to entering into our physical body at birth and that it will continue to exist after it leaves the body at death. I believe that immediately after a person dies, his spirit will go to the "Spirit World" to await the resurrection, i.e. its reunion with a newly perfected and immortal body. During the time we are in the Spirit World, we will continue to learn and grow spiritually. I believe that the vast majority of mankind will ultimately end up in heaven.

I actually started a thread on the LDS View of the Afterlife some time ago, in response to a question someone asked me. My explanation was pretty in depth, but if you're interested in reading it, you can find it here. Posts 1, 3 and 4 contain my three-part explanation.

UnTheist

How many times do i get hrown with this reply. god dint create us to do it. Its the human nature after the fall. And god doesnt blame, your the one blamming god because you dont understand things fully.
It seems you are throwing words in my mouth. I didn't say I was blaming God for our mistakes. But there is no reason for calling us sinners and unworthy of God if we are doing the best we can to be good people. God must realize that we are Humans, and He didn't create perfect Humans, therefore He shouldn't expect us to be perfect.

He should be threatening people who continually try to ruin peoples lives and are unable to respect other Humans. Even then, no matter what you do, it cannot be of infinite value, therefore eternal torture is unjustified.

anyway mabey you can answer this question for me to the reicarnation theory. Why is it that humanity is growing bigger, if we started of with x amount of people?
I'm not sure where you're getting at with this. Humans are increasing in population from advances in modern science, such as: vaccinations, antiviral and anti-bacterial drugs, surgeries and organ transplants, and of course the convenience of easily obtaining edible food at low prices and fast transportation.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ok, I am hoping I am posting this in the right place. I get confused where I am!

I was just wondering everyones idea/perspective/belief on the afterlife - is there one? what does it consist of? or do our thoughts just perish. I am looking for everybodies answer so whether you are muslim, christian, pagan etc etc feel free.....

Many Thanks
:)
As some lives are ended, others begin. So clearly, there is life after death. What I don't believe in is the continuance of an eternal, unchanging soul that could be called "me" after death. Spirit continues, but it does not belong to me. Life continues, but it does not belong to me.

As for the ethics of afterlife, people talking about being good for the sake of reward whether that's heaven or a better reincarnation... being good is its own reward. Being good makes this life better, and any possible afterlife would follow accordingly.

It seems you are throwing words in my mouth. I didn't say I was blaming God for our mistakes. But there is no reason for calling us sinners and unworthy of God if we are doing the best we can to be good people. God must realize that we are Humans, and He didn't create perfect Humans, therefore He shouldn't expect us to be perfect.

He should be threatening people who continually try to ruin peoples lives and are unable to respect other Humans. Even then, no matter what you do, it cannot be of infinite value, therefore eternal torture is unjustified.

I'm not sure where you're getting at with this. Humans are increasing in population from advances in modern science, such as: vaccinations, antiviral and anti-bacterial drugs, surgeries and organ transplants, and of course the convenience of easily obtaining edible food at low prices and fast transportation.

God created a perfeect place and a perfect plan, knowing that we would fall. Thats why it is written "behold the lamb of god slane before the foundation of the earth". jesus is that lamb. It sounds harsh buts its true, and many people dont like it. Its one of the most commonly asked questions of christians beside ill beileve in god if he shows me hes real. And its a question i ask my a few buddies of mine as well more along the lines of why did god even create the tree of good and evil. How ever for me nowdays theres is law law of grace for me so when i do screw up im forgiven.
This doesnt answer your question though. And you have to look at it from this angle as well. I cant rember where it is in the bible but it says we were created for gods enjoyment not ours. So no matter what we do he loves us and as long as we except him then were fine. That just brings yuou back to your first point though.

No matter what i say it all comes back to this and it will. Just as everyone does, when it comes to jesus. As for me i no his power. his spirit has touched me and changed me. i have felt his healing touch and experinced supernaural healing. This confirms for me that gods real and jesus was who he says he is

ker crypter

gun of a sun
l believe when we die,everything dies.no concept of time or space until rebirth in another part of the universe,a new solar system, a new world hospitable to life. our energies all travel together but know not what time is,nor conscienceness.as quick as we die is as quick as we're born. we will all meet again..

logician

All evidence suggests that when you die you're dead, no soul, spirit, essence, or ghost lives on. If you have proof to the contrary, please present it.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

lombas

Society of Brethren
I am not trying to rudely disagree with you (you had some good statements) but I think that the problem today is that people do not care about what happens to them in the future. But what it comes down to is that what happens to us after we die is a very serious question and the most important question that we can ask ourselves. For instance, the Christian belief of heaven and hell for eternity is serious (the scary thing is the Christian idea of it is not completely illogical). What I don't understand is why people don't take the question more seriously but just go about their lives as if it is not a big deal.

A majority of Quakers still regard themselves as Christians, so I don't really know what you are trying to say here.

I've heard many Friends say: "I have an opinion about life after death, I am willing to discuss my views, but just let us not dogmatise about it, for it is unknown to the Collective where the Individual might have a thought about it."

yobbo2u

I haven't got a clue as to what may happen when I die. Mankind has confused so many issues in regards to virtually every aspect of Life & Death that it's like submitting your numbers in lotto & then crossing your fingers. From those who believe in Evolution to those who believe in Genesis (with so many conflicting bible interpretations and translations) to those with every other belief that can be expressed by man. Is there an afterlife?--I certainly hope so. Will there be a judgement?--there very well could be. Is there no exixtence at all?--That is quite possible.
If there is a judgement, then all other options that come to mind, including those mentioned, are really of no consequence. Personally, I prefer to live my life in such a way that if should I be judged after death, then all of the positive things that I do with my life & within my life, will be for my betterment (in whatever form that may be) after I die.

neves

According to Islam...

After we die and are put in the grave…we are met by two angles … they will ask three questions, which are… Who is your Lord? Who is your Prophet? What is your religion?" … who ever answers the question correctly (you will be unable to lie because your body will speak against you… i.e. tongue) will have a pleasant time awaiting the day of resurrection… who ever answers the questions wrong will be chastised until the day of judgment…

When that day comes…whoever was the most righteous of the people (i.e. prophets, pious men and women etc…) will be admitted in to heaven right away under the shade of god and his mercy… then there will be the people in the middle who where good men and women but they may have did something really bad at a time of weakness or did one of the major sin… etc… for these people god will decide if he will forgive or punish them, and he will judge in the fairest because he knows all that we did … then the third group of people will be those you transgressed all of god law and made the most mischief while they were given their free will and time on earth… they will be lead straight into hell…

I think there is some misconception on hell according to Islam… It is not permanent for all… who ever believes in god and the last day will be eventually be admitted into heaven… so hell in Islam is sort of like the Christian purgatory… the time you spend in it is directly related to the amount one transgressed on earth… though a day in hell is equal to 1000 year on earth (not sure if that the exact number)… not some where I like to spent a day…

I can give you more detail on hell and heaven if you like… but if anything I say maybe wrong I hope a brother or sister will correct me….
Here is a hadith on the last person in hell to receive god’s mercy…

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The people said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection?" He replied, "Do you have any doubt in seeing the full moon on a clear (not cloudy) night?" They replied, "No, O Allah's Apostle!" He said, "Do you have any doubt in seeing the sun when there are no clouds?" They replied in the negative. He said, "You will see Allah (your Lord) in the same way. On the Day of Resurrection, people will be gathered and He will order the people to follow what they used to worship. So some of them will follow the sun, some will follow the moon, and some will follow other deities; and only this nation (Muslims) will be left with its hypocrites. Allah will come to them and say, 'I am Your Lord.' They will say, 'We shall stay in this place till our Lord comes to us and when our Lord will come, we will recognize Him. Then Allah will come to them again and say, 'I am your Lord.' They will say, 'You are our Lord.' Allah will call them, and As-Sirat (a bridge) will be laid across Hell and I (Muhammad) shall be the first amongst the Apostles to cross it with my followers. Nobody except the Apostles will then be able to speak and they will be saying then, 'O Allah! Save us. O Allah Save us.'
There will be hooks like the thorns of Sa'dan in Hell. Have you seen the thorns of Sa'dan?" The people said, "Yes." He said, "These hooks will be like the thorns of Sa'dan but nobody except Allah knows their greatness in size and these will entangle the people according to their deeds; some of them will fall and stay in Hell forever; others will receive punishment (torn into small pieces) and will get out of Hell, till when Allah intends mercy on whomever He likes amongst the people of Hell, He will order the angels to take out of Hell those who worshipped none but Him alone. The angels will take them out by recognizing them from the traces of prostrations, for Allah has forbidden the (Hell) fire to eat away those traces. So they will come out of the Fire, it will eat away from the whole of the human body except the marks of the prostrations. At that time they will come out of the Fire as mere skeletons. The Water of Life will be poured on them and as a result they will grow like the seeds growing on the bank of flowing water. Then when Allah had finished from the Judgments amongst his creations, one man will be left between Hell and Paradise and he will be the last man from the people of Hell to enter paradise. He will be facing Hell, and will say, 'O Allah! Turn my face from the fire as its wind has dried me and its steam has burnt me.' Allah will ask him, "Will you ask for anything more in case this favor is granted to you?' He will say, "No by Your (Honor) Power!" And he will give to his Lord (Allah) what he will of the pledges and the covenants. Allah will then turn his face from the Fire. When he will face Paradise and will see its charm, he will remain quiet as long as Allah will. He then will say, 'O my Lord! Let me go to the gate of Paradise.' Allah will ask him, 'Didn't you give pledges and make covenants (to the effect) that you would not ask for anything more than what you requested at first?' He will say, 'O my Lord! Do not make me the most wretched, amongst Your creatures.' Allah will say, 'If this request is granted, will you then ask for anything else?' He will say, 'No! By Your Power! I shall not ask for anything else.' Then he will give to his Lord what He will of the pledges and the covenants. Allah will then let him go to the gate of Paradise. On reaching then and seeing its life, charm, and pleasure, he will remain quiet as long as Allah wills and then will say, 'O my Lord ! Let me enter Paradise.' Allah will say, May Allah be merciful unto you, O son of Adam! How treacherous you are! Haven't you made covenants and given pledges that you will not ask for anything more that what you have been given?' He will say, 'O my Lord! Do not make me the most wretched amongst Your creatures.' So Allah will laugh and allow him to enter Paradise and will ask him to request as much as he likes. He will do so till all his desires have been fulfilled . Then Allah will say, 'Request more of such and such things.' Allah will remind him and when all his desires and wishes; have been fulfilled, Allah will say "All this is granted to you and a similar amount besides." Abu Said Al-Khudri, said to Abu Huraira, 'Allah's Apostle said, "Allah said, 'That is for you and ten times more like it.' "Abu Huraira said, "I do not remember from Allah's Apostle except (his saying), 'All this is granted to you and a similar amount besides." Abu Sahd said, "I heard him saying, 'That is for you and ten times more the like of it."

Source : Al-Bukari

OmarKhayyam

Of threats of Hell and Hopes of Paradise!
One thing at least is certain--This Life flies;
One thing is certain and the rest is Lies;
The Flower that once has blown for ever dies.

Strange, is it not? that of the myriads who
Before us pass'd the door of Darkness through,
Not one returns to tell us of the Road,
Which to discover we must travel too.

The Revelations of Devout and Learn'd
Who rose before us, and as Prophets burn'd,
Are all but Stories, which, awoke from Sleep
They told their comrades, and to Sleep return'd.

I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell:"

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Reincarnation makes the most sense to me. It is simply another way in which energy and matter changes form. Why should the purpose of reincarnation be to "perfect the soul" or achieve some sort of "enlightenment" though? The soul is already perfect, as spiritual beings we are already enlightened, it is only the "mind" that is flawed. The mind that fills our heads with these thoughts of imperfection.

ragordon168

to me this is it. your born, you live, you die. the energy/mass that made you up in life returns to the earth, as for the 'soul' it is unique and dies with you and vanishes from existence.

the only thing that remains as a kind of 'afterlife' is your legacy - what ideas you have inspired, the family you have made and things like that.

Erebus

I believe that the vast majority of people drift around in darkness as semi-conscious shades after death. A few souls reincarnate into a physical body. A few souls become conscious even after physical death as a spiritual entity (I would say angels or demons, but these aren't quite accurate. The closest word to describe them would be Kami) which will then proceed to do all kinds of things, perhaps deliberately being born into a physical body again, perhaps not. Most souls though become a shade.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Dream Angel,

Personally since the body and mind is nothing but *energy* it is neither created or destroyed but it changes form. Those who would agree that will agree with *evolution* and *reincarnation* which is the shorter version of evolution.

Love & rgds

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper

Many Thanks
:)

If my consciousness doesn't continue, then this was all for nothing and I won't care. If my consciousness does continue, I hope nothing like reincarnation or being reabsorbed into the Light happens because I value being Me. If I am confronted by some omnipotent overbearing god like those of the Christians or Muslims then I will gladly take my place in hell. However, my preference would be to continue on in some spiritual realm in a more enlightened state.

:candle:
Crys