• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

African DNA amongst Native Britons

Rob Roy

:facepalm: Jane L. Thompson and Judith Priestley are co-authors of the following textbook, which provides a thorough introduction to the core topics required for A-level, first year undergraduate and college students, and access course students studying Sociology: Sociology - Blackwell's Bookshop Online

There is a notable chapter in regards to the subject of race and ethnicity; whereby, the author alludes to the history of black immigration to the British Isles. Accordingly, the author says that blacks have been in this country ever since ancient times, because they came as "military commanders and merchants" during the Roman occupation.

Which part of Britain is the African-descended Native British people most strongly concentrated in terms of non-European DNA?

What percentage of the "native" British population are distantly related to those African-descended peoples who came to the British Isles during the Roman occupation;and what is the likely percentage of African-descended British people who actually took part in the trans-atlantic slave trade from the sixteenth through to the nineteenth centuries? :confused:

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You seem weirdly fascinated with any bloodline or marriage or relationship that's interracial. What's the draw to you?

chartagony

Outside the appearance the bolding gives...

Actually I remember reading about this a while back. It's neat to know and really not all that surprising. To say the Roman Empire was multicultural is a bit of an understatement. Romanization was certainly a different form of imperialism. I did know when they raised legions they would deploy them to a different area so they would have less of a problem keeping the peace in the harshest manner possible if it came down to it. Given the length of Roman service the soldiers would bring their families along with them or often marry into the local population if they had none. Not too surprising many would choose to stay after their services were finally over. And that is simply disregarding the ease of migration and travel an extensive road and shipping system allowed.

I wonder what sort of sociological issues they may have run into. Were there pub brawls between Gallics and Numidians? :p

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which part of Britain is the African-descended Native British people most strongly concentrated in terms of non-European DNA?
All of it, probably.

After the Romans were busy bringing in African DNA south of Hadrian's wall, the Normans were busy bringing it in to the north of it.

You did know that as well as having their main centre in France and major influence in Scotland (Robert the Bruce was one of many Norman members of the Scottish nobility, for instance), the Normans were very big in Italy and Sicily, and the Normans in these areas frequently intermarried with the local people (including Sicilians of Moorish descent and the descendants of those miscegenating Romans you were so worried about) and freely migrated throughout Norman areas, including Scotland.

And if you go back a bit further, the whole species originated in Africa to begin with.

Rakhel

I must ask again.
What does this have to do with politics?
And
What are you afraid of?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't accept the notion of 'native Briton'. There's a better chance of finding an a hobbit than a 'native Briton'.

I wouuld go so far as to suggest that there never has been a native Briton.
It is clear that Humanity itself started in and migrated from Africa.
The Uk, as countries go, is very small and has had a constant stream of migrants since the dawn of man, for most of that time our population has been equally small, with total intermarriage. we are as mongeral as you can get.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I wouuld go so far as to suggest that there never has been a native Briton.
It is clear that Humanity itself started in and migrated from Africa.
The Uk, as countries go, is very small and has had a constant stream of migrants since the dawn of man, for most of that time our population has been equally small, with total intermarriage. we are as mongeral as you can get.

You don't know anything about mongrels until you see us Yanks:p