• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addictions and Christians

Riders

So sometimes I've told my sister about 1 or 2 of the guys or women who claim to be strict Christians at my 12 Step meetings. they maybe you know having been arrested for stalking or harassment something like that too and drug and alcoholic.

My sister always comes back with they are not real Christians! But I'm go on the line and defend my sex addicted and alcoholic drug addicted Christian brothers and sister.

Addiction is not occurring because they are amoral or bad or evil or anything of that nature. Many people develop addictions from traumatic situations where they used the addiction to survive. I used over eating and sex in the teen psych wards I was in in the 80s.

So then it becomes a crutch. Many drug addicts start out with a car crash or disease that causes them so much pain the Dr starts giving them tremendous amounts of string pain meds.

Many sex addicts,( my sister condemns sex addiction more then other addictions) many have been molested like I was at 15, or used it to survive and comfort themselves like I did in the psych wards, and many of us in particular were raised in such a way that their own fathers who were sex addicts taught them it was natural for men to have a lot of sex.

I have read posts here even at Religious forums that were written about either Polyamory or something of that nature open relationships and a man posted and said the men should be allowed to have sex with whomever he wanted because and I quote "all men become nasty dirty old men, because its natural for men to be".

So what that says is if your husband wants to have sex with a bunch of women let him and you should stay true to him while he has his way. All men are born sex addicts, some Fathers still teach their sons this.

Some teach them that all men get drunk and this is even apart of Christian families, still so if society still tells men its natural and normal to have sex 20 hours a day and to have 100 girlfriends why should be surprised when they become sex addicts.

Anyways I have gotten off topic now, the point being addiction has nothing to do with religion. We use to have an LDS and a Mormon woman in Alannon at my Moms AA group so it happens to all religions.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So sometimes I've told my sister about 1 or 2 of the guys or women who claim to be strict Christians at my 12 Step meetings. they maybe you know having been arrested for stalking or harassment something like that too and drug and alcoholic.

My sister always comes back with they are not real Christians! But I'm go on the line and defend my sex addicted and alcoholic drug addicted Christian brothers and sister.

Addiction is not occurring because they are amoral or bad or evil or anything of that nature. Many people develop addictions from traumatic situations where they used the addiction to survive. I used over eating and sex in the teen psych wards I was in in the 80s.

So then it becomes a crutch. Many drug addicts start out with a car crash or disease that causes them so much pain the Dr starts giving them tremendous amounts of string pain meds.

Many sex addicts,( my sister condemns sex addiction more then other addictions) many have been molested like I was at 15, or used it to survive and comfort themselves like I did in the psych wards, and many of us in particular were raised in such a way that their own fathers who were sex addicts taught them it was natural for men to have a lot of sex.

I have read posts here even at Religious forums that were written about either Polyamory or something of that nature open relationships and a man posted and said the men should be allowed to have sex with whomever he wanted because and I quote "all men become nasty dirty old men, because its natural for men to be".

So what that says is if your husband wants to have sex with a bunch of women let him and you should stay true to him while he has his way. All men are born sex addicts, some Fathers still teach their sons this.

Some teach them that all men get drunk and this is even apart of Christian families, still so if society still tells men its natural and normal to have sex 20 hours a day and to have 100 girlfriends why should be surprised when they become sex addicts.

Anyways I have gotten off topic now, the point being addiction has nothing to do with religion. We use to have an LDS and a Mormon woman in Alannon at my Moms AA group so it happens to all religions.

Addiction is hard because we have very little conscious control over what we desire. The unconscious mind is very sneaky in reestablishing old habits. It knows how to trigger the right chemicals to consciously motivate us into giving it what it thinks it needs.

Even though consciously you decided to clean up your act, the unconscious mind will get you re-addicted by distracting you with things like feelings and such.

Religion is used in these programs as a means to coral in the unconscious mind into a belief system which hopefully promotes the well being of the whole individual. That's kind of the idea behind most religions, to help a person to find themselves in a better place.

Works for some, for some it doesn't. If something is helping you, stick with it. If not, look for something else.

RoaringSilence

Addiction is a disease, and religion rarely acts as a cure (though it is possible).

There are many Bhakti RASA's ( Various types of devotional juices that one can access by evoking the right name chant ) All these various names that trigger RAsa /juices are given in sukhmani sahib.. and since i started practicing it..i get rewards pretty easy by the guru's grace.

Every name chant enables certain juice and you drown its taste for long hours..if you don't break the chant.

Link for names and what they do ...here in english text you might have to read it to find those names... http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/downloads/Gurbani/Sukhmani Sahib - Eng-Rom-Gurm.pdf

IF you wanna test it out ...try this vid and play it for 2 hours.. you will feel ultra cleansed within your self

Last edited:

Riders

Addiction is hard because we have very little conscious control over what we desire. The unconscious mind is very sneaky in reestablishing old habits. It knows how to trigger the right chemicals to consciously motivate us into giving it what it thinks it needs.

Even though consciously you decided to clean up your act, the unconscious mind will get you re-addicted by distracting you with things like feelings and such.

Religion is used in these programs as a means to coral in the unconscious mind into a belief system which hopefully promotes the well being of the whole individual. That's kind of the idea behind most religions, to help a person to find themselves in a better place.

Works for some, for some it doesn't. If something is helping you, stick with it. If not, look for something else.

Oh well I think it depends on how your using the religion term here. AA and Sex Addicts Anonymous are spiritual programs but do not teach religion. I don't go to church but have reestablished a relationship with God,a monotheistic one God but not the church Christian God.

But it does help to develop a spiritual life in recovery. However some people do go to church in my program and spirituality that way and even join church related recovery programs. It helps some but not others. I heard a Christian guy in my Skype group talk the other day he said he tried using the church only but it didn't work so he now incorporates both the church and the 12 Step program.

I did get my weight back up to 300 and some would say that should be my first priority and I agree. I just don't like the OA program and I won;t go into it I sound stupid.

But anyways however I did decide I need a structured eating plan and support group for my eating. So I joined Weight Watchers, Ill be attending groups meetings there for support and to keep up with my weight and going by their food plan. I started 3 days ago am already eating healthier so it must be working!

Riders

There are many Bhakti RASA's ( Various types of devotional juices that one can access by evoking the right name chant ) All these various names that trigger RAsa /juices are given in sukhmani sahib.. and since i started practicing it..i get rewards pretty easy by the guru's grace.

Every name chant enables certain juice and you drown its taste for long hours..if you don't break the chant.

Link for names and what they do ...here in english text you might have to read it to find those names... http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/downloads/Gurbani/Sukhmani Sahib - Eng-Rom-Gurm.pdf

IF you wanna test it out ...try this vid and play it for 2 hours.. you will feel ultra cleansed within your self

Thankyou I may try that.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Oh well I think it depends on how your using the religion term here. AA and Sex Addicts Anonymous are spiritual programs but do not teach religion. I don't go to church but have reestablished a relationship with God,a monotheistic one God but not the church Christian God.

But it does help to develop a spiritual life in recovery. However some people do go to church in my program and spirituality that way and even join church related recovery programs. It helps some but not others. I heard a Christian guy in my Skype group talk the other day he said he tried using the church only but it didn't work so he now incorporates both the church and the 12 Step program.

I did get my weight back up to 300 and some would say that should be my first priority and I agree. I just don't like the OA program and I won;t go into it I sound stupid.

But anyways however I did decide I need a structured eating plan and support group for my eating. So I joined Weight Watchers, Ill be attending groups meetings there for support and to keep up with my weight and going by their food plan. I started 3 days ago am already eating healthier so it must be working!

Drink lots of water. Maybe you already do, but I hardly ever drank water. I'd go months without drinking any water. I mean diet sodas, energy drinks, teas, etc... I think these might hide the fact that one is not taking in enough water. Anyway, I've started drinking water daily. Instead of other drinks. I feel much better physically. Easier to be more optimistic about life when you are not dragging your backside around because you are dehydrated.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But I'm go on the line and defend my sex addicted and alcoholic drug addicted Christian brothers and sister.

We all have weaknesses and problems living up to our ideals. To me, someone who admits their problems and hopes and seeks to overcome them are miles ahead of those who try to justify them or pretend that they are above such things.

And to me the closer we get to God, the more we become aware of our shortcomings as some prayers underline.

steveb1

"My sister always comes back with they are not real Christians!"

Not a fair judgment. Christians are no more spared afflictions such as addiction than is anyone else. St. Paul complained of a thorn in his flesh that would not leave him alone, and he also wondered "why I do that which I do not wish to do" - the very essence of the addictive problem.

Sure, some Christians stay addicted because - maybe - they just aren't open to making big changes that would radically take them into a new kind of life. But as to the rest of them, I think your sister should have practiced the virtue of forbearance, forgiven the erring parties, and remember that according to the Bible, we have all fallen short of the mark - even the ones who are forgiven are still not perfect.

Riders

Drink lots of water. Maybe you already do, but I hardly ever drank water. I'd go months without drinking any water. I mean diet sodas, energy drinks, teas, etc... I think these might hide the fact that one is not taking in enough water. Anyway, I've started drinking water daily. Instead of other drinks. I feel much better physically. Easier to be more optimistic about life when you are not dragging your backside around because you are dehydrated.

Yes its true cokes have me defeated a lot of the time. Cokes are my worse addiction and sweets after that.