• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adblocking?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What are some thoughts on using adblocking software for videos? Do you yourself use it? Why or why not?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I use ad blockers. It's one of the first things I get as a plugin for any internet browser I use.

I use them because I find ads annoying, pushy, and sometimes a possible security or privacy risk.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Spybot, Advanced System Care, and AVG. I've been pretty successful keeping unwanted junk off my computer.

mycorrhiza

I use an adblocker, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I wasn't going to click the ads or buy their products anyway and now pages look clean and videos play without interruption :).

Riverwolf

Premium Member
What, then, of small internet producers who use ads at the beginning of well-made yet still homemade videos for their revenue? That is, this is one of their only sources of rent?

Matemkar

Since I hate ads (both content and sometimes the slowing speed they cause) I prefer using Adblock Plus (for firefox) I dunno if it has addons for other explorers. Though sometimes adblocker causes trouble, I need to deactivate it and see if the site has annoying ads before I suggest it to someone else. :)

mycorrhiza

What, then, of small internet producers who use ads at the beginning of well-made yet still homemade videos for their revenue? That is, this is one of their only sources of rent?

People probably shouldn't expect to be able to pay rent just by producing home made videos, just like amateur musicians shouldn't really expect CD sales to pay their rent. It's great if they make money despite not being professionals, but trusting ad revenue isn't really an economically safe move.

Besides, I don't think that adblockers report to the ad companies that their ads have been blocked. If the producer gets money per ad shown, rather than ad clicked, it probably shouldn't matter.

If you want home made videos to pay your rent, there are better methods than ads. Donations and stuff like kickstarter is better. Fans are more trustworthy than ad companies :D.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
People probably shouldn't expect to be able to pay rent just by producing home made videos, just like amateur musicians shouldn't really expect CD sales to pay their rent. It's great if they make money despite not being professionals, but trusting ad revenue isn't really an economically safe move.

Besides, I don't think that adblockers report to the ad companies that their ads have been blocked. If the producer gets money per ad shown, rather than ad clicked, it probably shouldn't matter.

If you want home made videos to pay your rent, there are better methods than ads. Donations and stuff like kickstarter is better. Fans are more trustworthy than ad companies :D.

Actually, adblocker does prevent adrevenue from coming in.

Of course, the smart home producer will have alternatives (such as donations, and even merchandise like tshirts and props), but still...

Kerr

The closest thing I use is NoScript, which is a firefox addon that lets you control when things like javascript and flash is used.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I never use any ad blocking software.

There are a lot of websites out there providing something valuable, including large professional informative sites and smaller personal sites. If I visit their site and block their ads, it's like I'm getting all of the information they put up without giving anything back.

If a site has an advertising situation that I find problematic, such as an overabundance of ads, obnoxious ads, annoying pop ups, or anything that appears to be a security risk, then I don't visit that website anymore. So to me, it can just work itself out by either providing a good web experience or a bad one.