• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and eve

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Not a debate forum.
For those of you who are christians and believe in a literal interpetation of Adam and Eve...how could Adam and Eve know the serpent was lying? If they had no knowledge of good and evil until they ate the fruit how could they know that? Like they couldn't have known it was wrong to listen to the serpent if they didn't know good and evil?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not a debate forum.
For those of you who are christians and believe in a literal interpetation of Adam and Eve...how could Adam and Eve know the serpent was lying? If they had no knowledge of good and evil until they ate the fruit how could they know that? Like they couldn't have known it was wrong to listen to the serpent if they didn't know good and evil?
God told them one thing the serpent something different. Seems like the problem was lack of trust in God's words. After all they had to know that he was their creator, don't you think they would have at least known they should check with him?

VoidCat

God told them one thing the serpent something different. Seems like the problem was lack of trust in God's words. After all they had to know that he was their creator, don't you think they would have at least known they should check with him?
But how could they have known God was telling the truth? How could they be held accountable for something they didn't know was wrong? Not trying to debate. Just trying to see how a Christian might tackle this.

Last edited:

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
But how could they have kniwn God was telling the truth? How coukd they be held accountable for something they didn't know was wrong? Not trying to debate. Just trying to see how a Christian might tackle this.

After God created everything he stood back and pronounced it "good". The tree is a metaphor for man deciding for himself what is good and what is evil, as keeping their eyes shut before he fall was a metaphor for trusting God.

That was not a debate.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
But how could they have kniwn God was telling the truth? How coukd they be held accountable for something they didn't know was wrong? Not trying to debate. Just trying to see how a Christian might tackle this.
God told them they would die. So how could they not know it was wrong?

VoidCat

After God created everything he stood back and pronounced it "good". The tree is a metaphor for man deciding for himself what is good and what is evil, as keeping their eyes shut before he fall was a metaphor for trusting God.

That was not a debate.
That makes more sense to me.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
They didn't know good and evil till they ate the fruit right? Or do you believe God taught them some of the difference beforehand?

There wasn't any evil prior to the fruit as man believed God was in control and took His word that everything was good, the tree of knowledge of good and evil is a metaphor to explain original sin, man created sin, literally.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
Adam and Eve eyes were shut prior to the fall further symbolizing man's trust in God, was all good.

Edit... Oops.

VoidCat

There wasn't any evil prior to the fruit as man believed God was in control and took His word that everything was good, the tree of knowledge of good and evil is a metaphor to explain original sin, man created sin, literally.
Ooooh...that makes a lot of sense.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
They didn't know good and evil till they ate the fruit right? Or do you believe God taught them some of the difference beforehand?
16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

Don't you think that's enough warning?

VoidCat

16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

I guess so. I just didnt see how they could be held accountable not knowing good and evil.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?

Paraphrasing... If you stop trusting I'm in control of all that was, is, and ever shall be you open up the door to something called sin, so man made sin, and we all die a little every day.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Paraphrasing... If you stop trusting I'm in control of all that was, is, and ever shall be you open up the door to something called sin, so man made sin, and we all die a little every day.
Well, whatever the fruit was, they stopped trusting by partaking of it.
But I think he was talking about literal death also.

VoidCat

See you explain it well. Most Christians I talk to make it sound like Eve was punished despite not knowing right from wrong. It made me feel sorry for her to be honest. I like the way you explain tho.
Well, whatever the fruit was, they stopped trusting by partaking of it.
But I think he was talking about literal death also.
If you don't know death it's not a good deterrent.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
The difference between heaven and hell ain't real estate, it's realizing that you play an important part in God's perfect plan, no epic battles no apacolypse, just a realization, which is the transformation from darkness into lightness. The here and now remains the here and now.