• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Acts 2:38 Baptism of the Holy Spirit

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I can't recall Peter ever being baptized. I suppose his repentance of the life he was leading was represented by his following Jesus.

I believe we have a tendency to make a religious rite out of everything. No doubt the Disciples were instructed to baptize but I don't see it as cut and dried as some do. I think we lose a lot when we relegate to the idea of a magic act and gain a great deal when we emphasize what is really supposed to happen spiritually.
Luke 5:24
"But, so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,"--He said to the paralytic--"I say to you, get up, and pick up your stretcher and go home."

Peter was "cleaned" before the new covenant which began after Jesus's death -stated explicitly.

John 15:3
"You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Luke 5:24
"But, so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,"--He said to the paralytic--"I say to you, get up, and pick up your stretcher and go home."

Peter was "cleaned" before the new covenant which began after Jesus's death -stated explicitly.

John 15:3
"You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.

A word is not a baptism. When it is received it creates a good conscience. However there is the sense that a good conscience is a clean conscience in the sense of purity of will ie impure desires defile the conscience and have to be removed for the conscience to be pure again.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
A word is not a baptism. When it is received it creates a good conscience. However there is the sense that a good conscience is a clean conscience in the sense of purity of will ie impure desires defile the conscience and have to be removed for the conscience to be pure again.
They were cleaned "word spoken to them", before the command for baptism was given. This is why Peter wasn't baptized. Baptism started with the new covenant.

The Bible never refers to baptism as magic, Zwingli did. Amazing how a guy's idea from the 1520s is reveberated by protestants today.

Spiritual acts are not by definition devoid of physical aspects. E.g.- Romans 10:9-10 confess with your mouth "Jesus is Lord".

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Ascund,
"Common sense" according to protestant theology.

"Faith plus baptism" I don't need to find scripture for protestant lingo. The Bible speaks in terms of Mark 16:16, belief "and" baptism. Acts 2:38 Repent "and" be baptized.

sincerly

Ascund,
"Common sense" according to protestant theology.

"Faith plus baptism" I don't need to find scripture for protestant lingo. The Bible speaks in terms of Mark 16:16, belief "and" baptism. Acts 2:38 Repent "and" be baptized.

I couldn't find where Ascund had posted in this thread. However, the "and" in context with Peter's facts concerning Jesus and HIS mission isn't saying that the act of getting Babtized saves one.
It is the "Belief" in the sacrificial giving of Jesus life(in death upon the cross) that ransoms one from the penalty of Sin. The Baptism(being baptized) shows one is willing to die to self and be buried with Christ and to Arise to newness of life in HIM as HE was Resurrected from the tomb to LIFE--evermore.

The "repenting" and the "baptism" are two different events; One leads to the other when speaking of SIN and and the "cure for that Sin". One has to "Repent" before the "waters of regeneration" can cleanse one. (Baptism into Christ Jesus).

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I couldn't find where Ascund had posted in this thread. However, the "and" in context with Peter's facts concerning Jesus and HIS mission isn't saying that the act of getting Babtized saves one.
It is the "Belief" in the sacrificial giving of Jesus life(in death upon the cross) that ransoms one from the penalty of Sin. The Baptism(being baptized) shows one is willing to die to self and be buried with Christ and to Arise to newness of life in HIM as HE was Resurrected from the tomb to LIFE--evermore.

The "repenting" and the "baptism" are two different events; One leads to the other when speaking of SIN and and the "cure for that Sin". One has to "Repent" before the "waters of regeneration" can cleanse one. (Baptism into Christ Jesus).
I couldn't find where Ascund had posted in this thread.
I couldn't find the original either. I based it off of post 15.

However, the "and" in context with Peter's facts concerning Jesus and HIS mission isn't saying that the act of getting Babtized saves one.
Mark 16:16 and Acts 2:38 do.

It is the "Belief" in the sacrificial giving of Jesus life(in death upon the cross) that ransoms one from the penalty of Sin.
Belief and baptism.
Repentance and Baptism.
Belief and confessing with ones mouth "Jesus is Lord."

The Baptism (being baptized) shows one is willing to die to self and be buried with Christ and to Arise to newness of life in HIM as HE was Resurrected from the tomb to LIFE--evermore.
The "showing one's willingness" per say as the purpose of baptism is inserted by protestants. We "were" baptized into his death.
As a result of being baptized into his death, we should live a new life. We don't get baptized "as a show" of this willingness. The Bible never assigns a "show" of willingness purpose to baptism.

Last edited:

sincerly

I couldn't find where Ascund had posted in this thread.
I couldn't find the original either. I based it off of post 15.

However, the "and" in context with Peter's facts concerning Jesus and HIS mission isn't saying that the act of getting Babtized saves one.
Mark 16:16 and Acts 2:38 do.

It is the "Belief" in the sacrificial giving of Jesus life(in death upon the cross) that ransoms one from the penalty of Sin.
Belief and baptism.
Repentance and Baptism.
Belief and confessing with ones mouth "Jesus is Lord."

The Baptism (being baptized) shows one is willing to die to self and be buried with Christ and to Arise to newness of life in HIM as HE was Resurrected from the tomb to LIFE--evermore.
The "showing one's willingness" per say as the purpose of baptism is inserted by protestants. We "were" baptized into his death.
As a result of being baptized into his death, we should live a new life. We don't get baptized "as a show" of this willingness. The Bible never assigns a "show" of willingness purpose to baptism.

e r. m, one can not take two words out of context joined by "and" and claim they mean the same the same. That may be an interpretation which you want to believe---but it isn't scripturally correct.
The purpose isn't just "willingness", but as Paul used it. One confesses one is dead in sins and being dead( and acknowledging Jesus Christ as the one who did the paying of the price for the propitiation for one's sin debt of death) has been buried and raised out of the watey grave as Christ was resurrected from the tomb into newness of life. There is nothing about the water which can give newness of life in itself.

The "into HIS Death" is a clear reference to HIS Shed Blood upon the Cross and not meaning the act of baptism has any salvation powers.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
e r. m, one can not take two words out of context joined by "and" and claim they mean the same the same. That may be an interpretation which you want to believe---but it isn't scripturally correct.
The purpose isn't just "willingness", but as Paul used it. One confesses one is
dead in sins and being dead( and acknowledging Jesus Christ as the one who did the paying of the price for the propitiation for one's sin debt of death) has been buried and raised out of the watey grave as Christ was resurrected from the tomb into newness of life. There is nothing about the water which can give newness of life in itself.

The "into HIS Daeath" is a clear reference to HIS Shed Blood upon the Cross and not meaning the act of baptism has any salvation powers.
Not seeing why you say it's an interpretation. I'm not rearranging words or inserting meaning in between the lines. I'm going by what is written.
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

The purpose isn't just "willingness", but as Paul used it. One confesses one is dead in sins and being dead
Is this Biblical? When does someone make this confession, Biblically? Isn't this inserting meaning?

(and acknowledging Jesus Christ as the one who did the paying of the price for the propitiation for one's sin debt of death)
Where does the acknowledging baptism come in? Isn't that interpreting or inserting between the lines? I put my money on what's actually "in" the Bible. How do you decide between what interpretation is and what is not?

has been buried and raised out of the watery grave as Christ was resurrected from the tomb into newness of life. There is nothing about the water which can give newness of life
in itself.
Why do protestants always misquote us? referring to baptism in an of itself? I believe we repeat it enough that it is belief in Christ and baptism. Yet protestants keep going back and bringing up baptism in itself. It is "God" who saves "at" baptism. I think I know why. Zwingli took away ALL associations between God and baptism. Well, he tried.

The "into HIS Death" is a clear reference to HIS Shed Blood upon the Cross and not meaning the act of baptism has any salvation powers.
In that case we are baptized into HIS Shed Blood upon the Cross.
God saves at belief and baptism.

Last edited:

sincerly

Not seeing why you say it's an interpretation. I'm not rearranging words or inserting meaning in between the lines. I'm going by what is written.
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

The purpose isn't just "willingness", but as Paul used it. One confesses one is dead in sins and being dead
Is this Biblical? When does someone make this confession, Biblically? Isn't this inserting meaning?

(and acknowledging Jesus Christ as the one who did the paying of the price for the propitiation for one's sin debt of death)
Where does the acknowledging baptism come in? Isn't that interpreting or inserting between the lines? I put my money on what's actually "in" the Bible. How do you decide between what interpretation is and what is not?

has been buried and raised out of the watery grave as Christ was resurrected from the tomb into newness of life. There is nothing about the water which can give newness of life
in itself.
Why do protestants always misquote us? referring to baptism in an of itself? I believe we repeat it enough that it is belief in Christ and baptism. Yet protestants keep going back and bringing up baptism in itself. It is "God" who saves "at" baptism. I think I know why. Zwingli took away ALL associations between God and baptism. Well, he tried.

In that case we are baptized into HIS Shed Blood upon the Cross.
God saves at belief and baptism.

e r.m., there is no misquoting from this side, but a wrong interpretation from you---of the message the Scriptures are giving.(Not just of a verse or two, but concerning the scriptures as a whole.)

Paul in Rom.3:21-26 writes, "But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;[/u]"

1John2:2; 4:10, "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world."..."Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son [to be] the propitiation for our sins. "

John 3:14-16, "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. "

The eternal life and propitiation for the sins/guilt of the "ALL" are for the "BELIEVERS" in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ. NOT because of "baptism".

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
e r.m., there is no misquoting from this side, but a wrong
interpretation from you---of the message the Scriptures are giving.(Not just of a verse or two, but concerning the scriptures as a whole.)

Paul in Rom.3:21-26 writes, "But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;[/u]"

1John2:2; 4:10, "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world."..."Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son [to be] the propitiation for our sins. "

John 3:14-16, "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. "

The eternal life and propitiation for the sins/guilt of the "ALL" are for the "BELIEVERS" in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ. NOT because of "baptism".

interpretation from you---of the message the Scriptures are giving.(Not just of a verse or two, but concerning the scriptures as a whole.)
Since when does the whole picture contradict verses that explicit? It doesn't. The whole picture doesn't say anything that excludes baptism from salvation. That's seeing something in the scriptures that they don't say for themselves.

"Not because of baptism" is your two cents added. The scripture makes no such exclusion. Stating one aspect of salvation doesn't exclude others that are stated elsewhere. You've shown verses that single out belief. Luke 13:5 singles out repentance.

Last edited:

sincerly

sincerly said:

Since when does the whole picture contradict verses that explicit? It doesn't. The whole picture doesn't say anything that excludes baptism from salvation. That's seeing something in the scriptures that they don't say for themselves.

sincerly said:
Paul in Rom.3:21-26 writes, "But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

er.m. said:
"Not because of baptism" is your two cents added. The scripture makes no such exclusion. Stating one aspect of salvation doesn't exclude others that are stated elsewhere. You've shown verses that single out belief. Luke 13:5 singles out repentance.

That whole last paragraph is "my two cents"---and is scripturally correct.
Luke 13:5 is, also, Correct, "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
Repentance isn't the salvation factor. Repentance is the turning from the sinful tendencies to the submission to GOD'S WILL. It is still through the Shed Blood of Jesus Christ that one finds grace by the FATHER---and passage through the vail to stand before the Father(In Reconciliation, Peace, and salvation.(Heb.10:19-20)

Refusing to Repent is arrogance and defiance of the Father's Will. Also, couple that with refusing/Not accepting the Shed Blood of Christ and the result is "Death".--A return to "dust"/ashes---just as the scriptures state.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
That whole last paragraph is "my two cents"---and is scripturally correct.
Luke 13:5 is, also, Correct, "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
Repentance isn't the salvation factor. Repentance is the turning from the sinful tendencies to the submission to GOD'S WILL. It is still through the Shed Blood of Jesus Christ that one finds grace by the FATHER---and passage through the vail to stand before the Father(In Reconciliation, Peace, and salvation.(Heb.10:19-20)
Refusing to Repent is arrogance and defiance of the Father's Will. Also, couple that with refusing/Not accepting the Shed Blood of Christ and the result is "Death".--A return to "dust"/ashes---just as the scriptures state.

Rom.3:21-26 1John 2:2; 4:10, and John 3:14-16, Match your statement. - The eternal life and propitiation for the sins/guilt of the "ALL" are for the "BELIEVERS" in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ.

But "Not because of baptism" was your two cents because, again, The Bible makes no such exclusion to baptism.

Repentance isn't the salvation factor.
Really?! So if a person does not repent and dies, he/she is saved?

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Repentance and baptism, both were for the purpose of forgiveness of sins.

Acts 3:19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 17:30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge [l]the world in righteousness [m]through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men [n]by raising Him from the dead.”

Can a person be saved without their sins forgiven?

The scripture (God) requires repentance.

Last edited:

sincerly

sincerly said:
Rom.3:21-26 1John 2:2; 4:10, and John 3:14-16, Match your statement. - The eternal life and propitiation for the sins/guilt of the "ALL" are for the "BELIEVERS" in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ.

But "Not because of baptism" was your two cents because, again, The Bible makes no such exclusion to baptism.

The Propitiation/Remission of sins is by the Blood of Jesus Christ. There is no inclusion of Baptism seen in Acts 2:38 or any other verse. One is Baptized into Jesus Christ whose shed blood is the GOD given payment for the Remission of Sins. As per Lev. 17:11, "For the life of the flesh [is] in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it [is] the blood [that] maketh an atonement for the soul."

In Peter's command, it is that the Baptism be IN THE NAME OF JESUS which acknowledged the context of the subject of the exhortation to the people was Jesus Christ------NOT WATER. (acts 2:29-47)
The water baptism was, as Jesus commanded, into the death ,burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins by HIS Act upon the Cross as Peter expressed.

sincerly said:
Repentance isn't the salvation factor.

Really?! So if a person does not repent and dies, he/she is saved?
Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Repentance and baptism, both were for the purpose of forgiveness of sins.

Acts 3:19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 17:30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge [l]the world in righteousness [m]through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men [n]by raising Him from the dead.”

Can a person be saved without their sins forgiven?

The scripture (God) requires repentance.

er.m., The scriptures are correct, but your conclusions are faulty.
NO repentance and one is defiant/arrogant before the Lord GOD. And still in their sins.
Repentance is the result of Believing in the Shed Blood of Christ. Baptism is the being being brought into the death, burial, and Resurrection of Christ and raising to new spiritual life in HIM.
In that "spirituality", one has forgiveness of sins.
Yes, One will stand on the "Fixed day" to answer for the decision one has made concerning Jesus Christ.(For or rejection of)

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
In Peter's command, it is that the Baptism be IN THE NAME OF JESUS which acknowledged the context of the subject of the exhortation to the people was Jesus Christ------
Are you denying that baptism is to be performed in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and asserting that baptisms should only be done in the name of Jesus?

Acts says that, as far as the baptismal formula goes, baptizing in the name of Jesus alone isn't enough.

Acts 8:15-17 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

When the Apostles say to baptize "in the name of the Lord Jesus," they mean to baptize with the AUTHORITY of Jesus. But as far as the actual FORMULA of baptism, one baptizes "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit," as commanded in Matthew 28:19.

NOT WATER. (acts 2:29-47)
Are you also denying that baptisms are done using water?

Acts 2:29-47 does not contradict the fact that baptisms are performed using water. It simply doesn't go into specifics about how those baptisms were performed.

Acts 8:36
Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

The Ethiopian eunuch clearly connects the idea of water and baptism.

Acts 10:47
“Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”

I will note that the Holy Spirit came upon the members of Cornelius's household before they were actually baptized. This, however, is the exception rather than the norm. Even still, there is again this connection between water and baptism.

The water baptism was, as Jesus commanded, into the death ,burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins by HIS Act upon the Cross as Peter expressed.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Shiranui117,
No one is denying baptism in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Right now, we're just discussing something else.

Sincerly,
I'll address your post later today.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Shiranui117,
No one is denying baptism in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Right now, we're just discussing something else.

Sincerly,
I'll address your posts later today.

Alright, sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
The Propitiation/Remission of sins is by the Blood of Jesus Christ. There is no inclusion of Baptism seen in Acts 2:38 or any other verse. One is Baptized into Jesus Christ whose shed blood is the GOD given payment for the Remission of Sins. As per Lev. 17:11, "For the life of the flesh [is] in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it [is] the blood [that] maketh an atonement for the soul."

In Peter's command, it is that the Baptism be IN THE NAME OF JESUS which acknowledged the context of the subject of the exhortation to the people was Jesus Christ------NOT WATER. (acts 2:29-47)
NO repentance and one is defiant/arrogant before the Lord GOD. And still in their sins.
Repentance is the result of Believing in the Shed Blood of Christ. Baptism is the being being brought into the death, burial, and Resurrection of Christ and raising to new spiritual life in HIM.
Yes, One will stand on the "Fixed day" to answer for the decision one has made concerning Jesus Christ.(For or rejection of)

The Propitiation/Remission of sins is by the Blood of Jesus Christ. There is no inclusion of Baptism seen in Acts 2:38 or any other verse.
The phrase "repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of yours sins" is there. It's included.

You're making a claim excluding baptism. Can you now show a verse excluding baptism?

I doubt it, because the Bible doesn't show both.

One is Baptized into Jesus Christ whose shed blood is the GOD given payment for the Remission of Sins. As per Lev. 17:11, "For the life of the flesh [is] in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it [is] the blood [that] maketh an atonement for the soul."
There is no conflict between this and baptism.

It sure is in water!
Acts 10:47 “Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?” 48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.
You already mentioned being baptized in Jesus name, so I don't have to re-quote Acts 2:38.

Acts 10:47-48 shows that baptism in the name of Jesus Christ -is baptism in water.
And it was Peter who said this!

Repentance is the result of Believing in the Shed Blood of Christ. Baptism is the being brought into the death, burial, and Resurrection of Christ and raising to new spiritual life in HIM.
You're expressing a lot heart felt opinions,
but the verses say
Acts 17:30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge [c]the world in righteousness...

Acts 3:19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; 20 and that He may send Jesus, the [a]Christ appointed for you,

Last edited:

sincerly

Shiranui117,

Sincerly,
I'll address your posts later today.

Thanks e r.m., you saved me the posting of the reasoning for our differences in the meaning of the wording of Acts 2:38 and others.
Shiranui needs to start at the beginning of this thread to understand what each of us is scripturally or contra-scripture is presenting.

Awaiting your post.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Thanks e r.m., you saved me the posting of the reasoning for our differences in the meaning of the wording of Acts 2:38 and others.
Shiranui needs to start at the beginning of this thread to understand what each of us is scripturally or contra-scripture is presenting.

Awaiting your post.

How so?

I think he understands now.