• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACT test scores for US students drop to new 30-year low

We Never Know

No Slack
Here's a hypothetical.....

The No Child Left Behind Act penalized schools that didn't show improvement. Maybe instead of actual achieving improvement and pass rate, it was pushing the pen to pass everyone to avoid being penalized thus in the long run actually hurting the students instead of helping them.
And one thing I am surprised I haven't seen anyone bring up... Covid!
Much needed schooling was missed because of covid.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And one thing I am surprised I haven't seen anyone bring up... Covid!
Much needed schooling was missed because of covid.
There is no doubt that covid played a major role in this reduction. Or, and I am saying this just because I am getting old and this makes me feel better, kids are dumber than ever:p:D

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
You should remember that a child who is homeschooled probably have parent(s) that are least reasonably fairly well to well educated, whereas a child walking into a public school may have either well or poorly educated parents. If one wants to homeschool a child, they have that right, but then comparing that child to what comes in the door in a public school is an unfair comparison.

My wife is the product of the Catholic parochial school system, which is quite good here in s.e. Michigan. When it was time to have our kids start school, we had a decision to make, and even she said going to public school would be our best choice as we live, and I taught, in a good district. All three of our kids went to college with our oldest being a college professor, our middle child being a nurse who works for Hospice and co-owns an insurance agency, and our youngest owning his own construction company. Public school didn't seem to hurt them one iota.

There's also a financial reality that hurts public schools in particular, but I'll not get into that now.
But it is a new generation… I’m not sure we can compare then and now.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The conservative persecution complex is something to behold. Campuses have Young Republican clubs, conservative speakers, conservatives fraternities, and conservative professors, and conservative students. They all exist.

Some conservatives, however, are beyond the pale of human decency. Milo Yannoupoulis? He made the college circuit. Milo Yiannopoulos - Wikipedia
Same could be said for TDS in the same vein.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What does that have to do with anything?
Hard to say. He did not even specify who had it. The conservatives or the liberals. There are two variants. TDS was more of a liberal thing when Trump first got elected. It was at that time was seemed to be an over reaction to him. But as time went on we found out that those people were not that far off and the right wing TDS kicked in. That is still going strong.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The conservative persecution complex is something to behold. Campuses have Young Republican clubs, conservative speakers, conservatives fraternities, and conservative professors, and conservative students. They all exist.

Some conservatives, however, are beyond the pale of human decency. Milo Yannoupoulis? He made the college circuit. Milo Yiannopoulos - Wikipedia
I don’t think that explains or validates “violence”.. Conservatives on campus, however small, are attacked violently

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don’t think that explains or validates “violence”.. Conservatives on campus, however small, are attacked violently

It's important not to make the exceptions the rule. However, free speech and non-violence should always be used, imo.

We Never Know

No Slack
I do think that TDS should apply to all the current Trump supporters as how could any intelligent and caring person still support this neo-fascist MAGA-Maniac?
What a huge wide net you throw.

Some that voted for Trump or support Trump don't even like him but he is a republican and they support the party.
Same as some here saying they would never vote republican. Democrat no matter what.

I've said it before and I will say it again, it seems people vote more for 'the party' than the person, especially now days and it has been that way for a while.

Last edited:

metis

Some that voted for Trump or support Trump don't even like him but he is a republican and they support the party.

It's a shame that these "some" put party over honesty, compassion, and our country.
Same as some here saying they would never vote republican.

I have, but today's Pub Party has just gone bonkers. Hopefully it will someday be a respectable party again-- and I mean it because we need an alternative to one party leadership. Frankly, I prefer the parliamentary system for this reason.
I've said it before and I will say it again, it seems people vote more for 'the party' than the person, especially now days and it has been that way for a while.

Is this what you're doing? I'm getting mixed messages from you on this.

Orbit

I'm a planet
What?

I would assume it has everything to do with the question you just asked.

Do you even remember your own postings?
So important that you posted it twice.
No. maybe I'm dumb but I don't see the connection between a concept that seems to have something to do with people criticizing those who rightly point out problems with Trump and the subject at hand.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So important that you posted it twice.
No. maybe I'm dumb but I don't see the connection between a concept that seems to have something to do with people criticizing those who rightly point out problems with Trump and the subject at hand.
It was posted twice because of the lag on the site here as I edited it.

You're the one who asked what TDS was, and I responded and then you go crazy afterwards about it.

Have a good day.

We Never Know

No Slack
It's a shame that these "some" put party over honesty, compassion, and our country.

I have, but today's Pub Party has just gone bonkers. Hopefully it will someday be a respectable party again-- and I mean it because we need an alternative to one party leadership. Frankly, I prefer the parliamentary system for this reason.

Is this what you're doing? I'm getting mixed messages from you on this.

I don't like either party, but if there is a good choice, no matter the party, I will vote for them. Therefore I didn't vote the last two elections. There were only two bad choices each time. I try to avoid making bad choices.

metis

I don't like either party, but if there is a good choice, no matter the party, I will vote for them. Therefore I didn't vote the last two elections. There were only two bad choices each time. I try to avoid making bad choices.
I certainly can't argue with that!