• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACA success stories

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
There's been a lot of threads posted here about the supposed "horrors of the ACA" and frankly I'm getting rather sick of it (and not just because all of these stories are based on misinformation or outright lies)

So I thought it was time to start a thread where we could talk about the success stories of the ACA and thus bring actual faces to the benefits it brings. Now I'll be the first to admit that it's not perfect and there will be problems along the way that will need to be ironed out but that doesn't change the fact that it has and will help countless individuals and is certainly far better than what we had previously.

So for starters:
My brother was unable to afford health insurance for the longest time after he aged out of my dad's plan. He was working hard and saving money to fix that as well as be able to get his own place when out of nowhere he started having seizures. Without coverage he was left to foot the bill, dissolving his savings and interfering with his ability to work, and now that he had a "pre-existing condition" getting coverage would have been extremely expensive if not impossible. But thanks to the medicaid expansion brought about by ACA he was able to qualify for medi-cal and thus was able to get the treatment he needed.

Riverwolf and I had talked considerably about the possibility of moving to Canada primarily because of our concerns with the cost of healthcare, not just for ourselves but for our future children. I was especially torn about the idea because doing so would take us so far away from my family, whom I've always hoped to stay close to. But with the ACA coming into effect, between the medicaid expansion and the online exchange I have the piece of mind knowing that regardless of our income level we will be able to afford quality healthcare for ourselves and our children which will include maternity care. It will still be pricey but at least it will be affordable regardless of how much we earn and I can stay close to my family.

I also have a close friend who has been unable to get healthcare because of her pre-existing condition known as celiac disease. Now that ACA prevents insurers from discriminating based on pre-existing conditions she will finally be able to get coverage.

also feminists everywhere rejoice because now insurance companies can no longer charge women more for coverage simply because we happened to be born with girly parts:D

So what success stories have you come across. They don't have to be personal like mine were.

A lot of female friends of mine are benefiting from free women's health exams/checkups and free birth control.

I can rest much easier knowing that I won't be discriminated against for having a "pre-existing condition", i.e. if I lose health insurance due to layoffs by an employer I can still access affordable coverage either through expanded Medicaid or guaranteed access to non-group insurance with subsidies to make it affordable.

Dianne Barrette's policy was "canceled" and she was therefore paraded around on CBS as an Obamacare "victim" losing a plan she liked. Now it seems she agrees she will actually benefit:

The policy Barrette has today is called the Go Blue Plan 91. It is not what most people would consider real insurance. Its coverage of doctor visits and tests, such as MRI scans, consists of paying $50 and then letting Barrette pay the remaining balance. Drug coverage works more or less in the same way, only the plan pays $15 per prescription—which is enough to cover generics, but not many name-brands. And hospitalization? The plan pays nothing at all. As Wemple put it, "it’s a pray-that-you-don’t-really-get-sick 'plan.'" Barrette doesn't really disagree—but this plan, she says, was all she could afford. "Most everyone I talked to said they were paying thousands more to get hospital coverage," she told me, "so I took my chances with what I have now."
When I gave her a broad description of the plans available, she seemed interested. I noted that she’d be paying $100 or $150 extra a month for policies that still had high cost-sharing, so that she would still be a lot of money out of her own pocket. (I also made very clear that I’m not an insurance agent or broker—that, when she finally goes shopping for insurance, she should talk to a real expert for advice.) Here was her response: "I would jump at it," she said. "With my age, things can happen. I don’t want to have bills that could make me bankrupt. I don’t want to lose my house."
Emphasis added. Obamacare "Victim" in Florida Happy She Can Get Real Coverage | New Republic

If she is indeed able to sign up and receive the subsidies, then hers is looking like another ACA success story.

esmith

Veteran Member
A lot of female friends of mine are benefiting from free women's health exams/checkups and free birth control.

I can rest much easier knowing that I won't be discriminated against for having a "pre-existing condition", i.e. if I lose health insurance due to layoffs by an employer I can still access affordable coverage either through expanded Medicaid or guaranteed access to non-group insurance with subsidies to make it affordable.

Wait one cotton pickin minute here Charlie. Let me ask you two very simple questions
1. Does Planned Parenthood offer women's health exams/checkups and free birth control? Hint the answer is YES Yes there are income qualifiers.
2. Doesn't the Federal Government (read Taxpayers) support Planned Parenthood? Hint the answer is yes.

Now for the BIG Question.
Now you say the ACA provides free health exams/checkups and free birth-control. Do we the taxpayers still need to help fund Planned Parenthood? Hint the answer is NO.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
So far ? Our son who is 24 has been allowed to stay under our coverage .He has insurance through us .Previously (before reform) I believe he would have been cut off at 19/

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Wait one cotton pickin minute here Charlie. Let me ask you two very simple questions
1. Does Planned Parenthood offer women's health exams/checkups and free birth control? Hint the answer is YES Yes there are income qualifiers.
2. Doesn't the Federal Government (read Taxpayers) support Planned Parenthood? Hint the answer is yes.

Now you say the ACA provides free health exams/checkups and free birth-control. Do we the taxpayers still need to help fund Planned Parenthood? Hint the answer is NO.

Yes...why not....(rhetorical question)

There will still be a decent size population of poor women who live below the poverty line who don't make enough to qualify for medicaid...so these types of services to them would still be a vital services....

I mean...if we covered everyone under a different system then may they would no longer be needed.....:sad:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
My two daughters and our son are still covered on our insurance. All three are working and plan to seek their own insurance when they're off of ours. They've been very excited about the bronze and silver packages.

esmith

Veteran Member
Yes...why not....(rhetorical question)

There will still be a decent size population of poor women who live below the poverty line who don't make enough to qualify for medicaid...so these types of services to them would still be a vital services....

I mean...if we covered everyone under a different system then may they would no longer be needed.....:sad:

Under your beloved ACA if you do not qualify for Medicaid through your state you can buy insurance through the exchanges and received assistance from the taxpayer to pay for your insurance. So,either they are on Medicaid, or purchased a health insurance plan. So, they do not need Planned Parenthood, Right? Or are you saying your beloved ACA will not cover all of the poor citizens of this county? I thought that is what the ACA was for.....health insurance for all. Or is this another piece of fiction?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Under your beloved ACA if you do not qualify for Medicaid through your state you can buy insurance through the exchanges and received assistance from the taxpayer to pay for your insurance. So,either they are on Medicaid, or purchased a health insurance plan. So, they do not need Planned Parenthood, Right? Or are you saying your beloved ACA will not cover all of the poor citizens of this county? I thought that is what the ACA was for.....health insurance for all. Or is this another piece of fiction?

You may be correct here. I think the poorest of the poor may still qualify for medicaid. I still see no reason to stop funding Planned Parenthood. I believe they accept insurance as well....

Payment and Insurance Information - Planned Parenthood - New York City

For the sake of argument, let's suppose you are right. In that case, in addition to helping the women I mentioned, the ACA has eliminated the need for taxpayers to fund Planned Parenthood. That's a good thing, right esmith?

Thanks esmith for contributing another ACA success story! :)

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Planned parenthood also runs a lot of educational programs, so no it should not be defunded.

esmith

Veteran Member
You may be correct here. I think the poorest of the poor may still qualify for medicaid. I still see no reason to stop funding Planned Parenthood. I believe they accept insurance as well....

Payment and Insurance Information - Planned Parenthood - New York City

So, I agree Planned Parenthood can stay in business as long as they can support themselves and not rely on taxpayer money to do so. Under the ACA we as taxpayers are going to be help support those that can not afford health care. Why then I as a taxpayer have to support two different entities - ACA and Planned Parenthood, along with numerous other programs that are basically doing the same thing?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
So, I agree Planned Parenthood can stay in business as long as they can support themselves and not rely on taxpayer money to do so. Under the ACA we as taxpayers are going to be help support those that can not afford health care. Why then I as a taxpayer have to support two different entities - ACA and Planned Parenthood, along with numerous other programs that are basically doing the same thing?

We'll have to agree to disagree. Many of the services and training they provide are beneficial to low income men and women. I have no problem funding them. We do the same with various hospitals and clinics. I assume your aversion to Planned Parenthood is due to their abortion services. Since that part of what they do has nothing to do with federal funds I don't see a reasaon for defunding them. There's been a knee jerk reaction to defund any and all Planned Parenthood clinics because they offer this service. It's undoubtedly a campaign initiated by those on the right...especially the religious right.

esmith

Veteran Member
We'll have to agree to disagree. Many of the services and training they provide are beneficial to low income men and women. I have no problem funding them. We do the same with various hospitals and clinics. I assume your aversion to Planned Parenthood is due to their abortion services. Since that part of what they do has nothing to do with federal funds I don't see a reasaon for defunding them. There's been a knee jerk reaction to defund any and all Planned Parenthood clinics because they offer this service. It's undoubtedly a campaign initiated by those on the right...especially the religious right.

No, I have no problem with their services, what I have a problem with is taxpayer's money being used to support this entity and other entities that are using taxpayer money for basically the same service. If Planned Parenthood wants to provide that service I suggest that they solicit contributions just like any other charitable organization.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
No, I have no problem with their services, what I have a problem with is taxpayer's money being used to support this entity and other entities that are using taxpayer money for basically the same service. If Planned Parenthood wants to provide that service I suggest that they solicit contributions just like any other charitable organization.

So basically you're not really familiar with how Planned Parenthood operates. They actually DO get private donations......but to suggest that public hospitals and clinics shoud solely seek private donations is illogical. There's not enough private donations so hospitals and clinics get some funding from local or federal funding and they've proven to be beneficial throughtout the local communities.

esmith

Veteran Member
So basically you're not really familiar with how Planned Parenthood operates. They actually DO get private donations......but to suggest that public hospitals and clinics shoud solely seek private donations is illogical. There's not enough private donations so hospitals and clinics get some funding from local or federal funding and they've proven to be beneficial throughtout the local communities.

Yes I know they receive charitable donations. I am suggesting that they not receive taxpayer money just private donations. I'm tired of supporting multiple entities that provide the same service.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yes I know they receive charitable donations. I am suggesting that they not receive taxpayer money just private donations. I'm tired of supporting multiple entities that provide the same service.

Kinda what happens when you live in a country that has taxation. I'm tired of supporting the bloated military, but I'm still gonna do it.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Im a tax payer. By the way. Its possible I pay more taxes than you .:)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, what other entity provides for the common defense?

I know the two aren't perfectly comparable, so perhaps I could have worded that better, but my point remains: I don't want to support America's imperialist military because its current manifestation pretty much violates all the ethics I was raised in, but I'm legally obligated to and am not in any way capable of fighting that within legal confines (the only legit way to fight such things.)

But if the right to bear arms had the kind of impact it was supposed to, we'd be capable of providing our own common defense.