• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abstemiousness

Clara Tea

What does your faith say about abstemiousness, if anything. Do you try to apply it?

Opposite of gluttony (and perhaps opposite of greed)....both deadly sins.

Most faiths believe in cleanliness. Some say that you should dress well, particularly for church. But it seems that there is a limit that should not be crossed. One talk show host said that he wore million dollar shoes. Couldn't that pay for food for the poor? Schindler (of Schindler's List) bemoaned that his ring could have purchased and saved the lives of more Jews who could work in his munitions factory manufacturing bombs for Hitler.

Obviously the high lifestyle of Reverend Jim Bakker and Tammy Fay Bakker was excessive, and they literally took food out of the mouths of starving Africans so they could pamper themselves. Just who does it impress when wealth is flaunted? The vain? The uncaring?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What does your faith say about abstemiousness, if anything. Do you try to apply it?
As a Deist I have to pay attention to the laws and rules of Mother Nature, who rules around here.

So we should apply moderation in our regular diets, but we should take advantage of the 'sends' of the seasons and the 'surges' of the migrations. That's what nature does, I think.

Vee

Premium Member

They Bible advises against gluttony and drinking excessively, both harmful for our health, so that's good advice. It doesn't tell exactly what to eat or drink though. That's a personal choice.

Ponder This

Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that falls from the mouth of God.

Faith is in that which is beyond the apparent manifestation.

Exercising restraint in eating habits is a means to purification.

This can apply to specific food items such as alcohol or sugar as a general prescription not to pollute the body.
This can apply to specific times of day, week, month, or year as a means to distance oneself from harmful habits.
This can apply to special occasions of need, respect, or high principle.

PearlSeeker

First I had to translate the word. If I understood correctly you meant abstinence.

1. Gospels promote having little material possessions.

2. Ascetic exercises (most known is fasting) are mostly a monastic practice but to some extent also generally recommended in Christianity.

Yes, I try to apply it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
First I had to translate the word. If I understood correctly you meant abstinence.

1. Gospels promote having little material possessions.

2. Ascetic exercises (most known is fasting) are mostly a monastic practice but to some extent also generally recommended in Christianity.

Yes, I try to apply it.

It 's the opposite of gluttony.

Lain

I try, I fail, I need more discipline, Lord have mercy. It is considered a sin to be a glutton and to be a drunkard, moderation in these things is incumbent on all and even fasting at times and not drinking at times is required. Gluttony is connected to lust and sloth and many to get rid of those vices will get rid of their gluttony first. Here are some statements from our Fathers on the matter:

"It is just as shameful for lovers of the flesh and the belly to search out spiritual things as it is for a harlot to discourse on chastity." — St. Isaac the Syrian

"A clear rule for self-control handed down by the Fathers is this: stop eating while still hungry and do not continue until you are satisfied." — St. John Cassian

"According to St. Gregory the Sinaite there are three degrees in eating: temperance, sufficiency, and satiety. Temperance is when someone wants to eat some more food but abstains, rising from the table still somewhat hungry. Sufficiency is when someone eats what is needed and sufficient for normal nourishment. Satiety is when someone eats more than enough and is more than satisfied. Now if you cannot keep the first two degrees and you proceed to the third, then, at least, do not become a glutton, remembering the words of the Lord: 'Woe unto you that are full now, for you shall hunger' (Lk. 6:25). Remember also that rich man who ate in this present life sumptuously every day, but who was deprived of the desired bosom of Abraham in the next life, simply because of this sumptuous eating." — St. Nicodemos

And also Tertullian: "Lust without voracity would certainly be considered a monstrous phenomenon; since these two are so united and concrete, that, had there been any possibility of disjoining them, the pudenda would not have been affixed to the belly itself rather than elsewhere. Look at the body: the region (of these members) is one and the same. In short, the order of the vices is proportionate to the arrangement of the members. First, the belly; and then immediately the materials of all other species of lasciviousness are laid subordinately to daintiness: through love of eating, love of impurity finds passage."

The ancient practice of the Church (from the Apostles) is recorded in the Didache, to fast on Wednesday and Friday (Wednesday for the betrayal of the Lord and Friday for His death): "fast on the fourth day and the Preparation (Friday)." The Apostles also connect, which I just noticed in writing this and it truly is genius, fasting with loving our enemies recording the saying: "bless those who curse you, and pray for your enemies, and fast for those who persecute you. For what reward is there, if you love those who love you?"

The Apostles also practiced beyond fasting, see this account of St. Matthew (the one who wrote the Gospel of St. Matthew) and the discipline he kept in eating always: "happiness is found in the practice of virtue. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, and nuts, and vegetables, without flesh." This refusal to eat meat is called abstinence, some practice it for some days each week or in periods of the year, others practice it always and such is virtuous.

To become drunk is to deprive yourself of reason deliberately and so is considered a grave sin, many swear off drinking for similar reasons entirely.

In short: we say a lot about it, there is a minimum to be kept and there are great heights to achieve by God's grace.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
One of the essential teachings of the Buddha is avoiding the extremes of both self-indulgence and self-denial. So, yes, abstemiousness is important in Buddhism.