• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrogation in the Quran

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
The concept of "abrogation" in the Quran is that Allah chose to reveal ayats (verses) that supercede earlier ayats in the same Quran. The central verse that deals with abrogation is Surah 2:106:

None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things?

My questions are, (1) why was abrogation deemed necessary and (2) why are abrogated verses still retained in the Quran. If the abrogated verses are retained in the Quran because they teach some principle, then (3) why are they considered abrogated verses at all?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Dear eselam, In the article you referred, it says:

Considering that Quran was revealed over a period of twenty-three years in ever-changing circumstances, it is not difficult to imagine the necessity of such laws.

If changes in circumstances over a period of just 23 years required abrogating many verses in the Quran, does not changes in circumstances in over 1000 years since then require an almost total abrogation of the Quran?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
you make a good question K.Venugopal

to a non-muslim using the Qur'an doesn't count as evidence so i will answer you without making reference to it's verses.

at the time when the abrogations occurred, the Qur'an, which muslims consider a Guidance and a Law, had not yet been completed. if you know about the history of the Qur'an and how it was revealed, you will find that it's verses and chapters are divided into many categories.

the verses were revealed in three main categories:
1. Those of the Past
2. Those of the Future
3. Those of the Present

Those of the present are those which were revealed about the time of the Prophet peace be upon him and they are divided into 2 main categories. two such verses are chapter 111 and 112.
Chapter 111 was revealed as a response to the Uncle of the Prophet, Abu Lahab after having criticized Muhammed peace be upon him for gathering his family members and called them to islam.
Chapter 112 was revealed as a response to the Pagan Makkans who asked the Prophet peace be upon him for the lineage of Allah.

all the verses of the Qur'an have their own history, the commentators have gathered all the relevant information that have to do with every verse and chapter.

Based on that information which i have given you, the following should make sense insha Allah (God willing).

whenever a special case occurred, Allah would reveal a verse for that specific case. but since the Qur'an had not been completed, Allah would then abrogate that. the abrogation of verses is divided into 3 categories also, one of those categories is that the text of an abrogated verse remained however it has/had to do with a specific person, like chapter 111 (this does apply to others in a way), or the verses that clear the wife of the Prophet peace be upon him from having committed adultery when the people accused her of such an act. it has nothing to do with the other muslims, however it is a verse that speaks of the case, it was something that only Allah could clear her from the false accusations so Allah revealed the verses and they remain in the Qur'an to this day and till the end of this world.

so on that, now that the Qur'an is complete, nothing more needs abrogating, since muslims believe that the Qur'an needs not to change from when it was revealed up to the Day of Judgement. we accept it as the Perfect Law of Allah, a book, a guide and law which was completed over 1400 years ago. something that is not complete may need changes, but once something is complete it doesn't need change. and the abrogations cannot be viewed as Allah making a mistake, some were verses of specific cases that have nothing to do with everyone else, like the verses relating to the wife of the Prophet peace be upon him. i cannot speak about all the abrogated verses since i do not know about all of them.

i hope my answer is helpful, a bit long but i couldn't explain it if i had made my reply any shorter.
please let me know if that doesn't answer your question.

Last edited:

Union

The concept of "abrogation" in the Quran is that Allah chose to reveal ayats (verses) that supercede earlier ayats in the same Quran. The central verse that deals with abrogation is Surah 2:106:

None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things?

My questions are, (1) why was abrogation deemed necessary and (2) why are abrogated verses still retained in the Quran. If the abrogated verses are retained in the Quran because they teach some principle, then (3) why are they considered abrogated verses at all?

Firstly thanking you very much for bringing this very scholarly subject in this place . Abrogation of Qur'an is probably one of the biggest lies spread by the enemies of Islam against the Qur'an. There is no abrogation in Qur'an , not at all . Once a verse revealed concerning any matter , it becomes the last and the final commandment of ALLAH , the Almighty . You will never find any contradictory law in the Qur'an . Verse 2.106 is not talking about abrogation in the Qur'an rather abrogation by the Qur'an against the previous scriptures like Torah , Psalms , Injeel etc.

Please refer to http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/quranist-dir/124183-abrogation-naskh-quran.htmlwhere the fallacy of abrogation of the Qur'an was discussed in details .

Please feel free to ask any question further regarding this issue .

[006:115] The word of thy Lord doth find its fulfilment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who heareth and knoweth all.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Firstly thanking you very much for bringing this very scholarly subject in this place . Abrogation of Qur'an is probably one of the biggest lies spread by the enemies of Islam against the Qur'an. There is no abrogation in Qur'an , not at all . Once a verse revealed concerning any matter , it becomes the last and the final commandment of ALLAH , the Almighty . You will never find any contradictory law in the Qur'an . Verse 2.106 is not talking about abrogation in the Qur'an rather abrogation by the Qur'an against the previous scriptures like Torah , Psalms , Injeel etc.

Please refer to http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/quranist-dir/124183-abrogation-naskh-quran.htmlwhere the fallacy of abrogation of the Qur'an was discussed in details .

Please feel free to ask any question further regarding this issue .

[006:115] The word of thy Lord doth find its fulfilment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who heareth and knoweth all.

why do the Qur'an Alone believers think that the Qur'an contains errors but don't believe that some verses were abrogated? i thought Allah had no flaws, surely he would be able to author a book and not contradict himself right?

Union

why do the Qur'an Alone believers think that the Qur'an contains errors but don't believe that some verses were abrogated? i thought Allah had no flaws, surely he would be able to author a book and not contradict himself right?

Whomever believe that there is error in quran is not muslim , doesnt matter from which background he is , thank you.

payak

but surely as a practicing muslim you may question certain things as a path to know more about islam yes, and not be blasted as an infidel for doing so.

Union

but surely as a practicing muslim you may question certain things as a path to know more about islam yes, and not be blasted as an infidel for doing so.

For sure .. Any type of question from any corner :D

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
There is no "mistake" in any scripture that cannot be reconciled provided we read the text in the proper context. Often to understand a context itself would require deep and varied study - something most of us are impatient to do. What is called an abrogation may not be but the presentation of a different facet of the same point. My humble opinion is that we should accept all the holy books of all religions as our common heritage and broaden our minds enough to reconcile whatever differences may be perceived at a shallow reading.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no "mistake" in any scripture that cannot be reconciled provided we read the text in the proper context. Often to understand a context itself would require deep and varied study - something most of us are impatient to do. What is called an abrogation may not be but the presentation of a different facet of the same point. My humble opinion is that we should accept all the holy books of all religions as our common heritage and broaden our minds enough to reconcile whatever differences may be perceived at a shallow reading.

Excellent post. :)

El_Majusi

Considering that Quran was revealed over a period of twenty-three years in ever-changing circumstances, it is not difficult to imagine the necessity of such laws.

If changes in circumstances over a period of just 23 years required abrogating many verses in the Quran, does not changes in circumstances in over 1000 years since then require an almost total abrogation of the Quran?
It's exactly what I was thinking while reading their answer. A rational and pertinent question.

Union

Very true . Thanks.

Union

Dear Gopal , an example from Qur'an can may enlighten your thought . Please cite us an example where a law was abrogated by another law . Please bear in mind that both of them suppose to be poinitng to the same context , incidence and same background . Thanks in advance .

N.B. : Please refrain from giving references from Hadeeth and Tafsir books , as I told you earlier that some people obsessed to belittle the Qur'an by using the lies of abrogation .

I have heard from many sources, one of them is not Muslim, who say that what is revealed in the later sura's in the Qur'an supersede the earlier surahs. When I heard this I was extremely skeptical, however I thought I would ask you sidi just to confirm this...

Among the verses in the Quran containing orders or laws there are verses that abrogate verses previously revealed and acted upon. These abrogating verse are called _nasikh_ and those whose validity they terminate are called _mansukh_.
The common notion of abrogation, that is, canceling of one law or code by another, is based on the idea that a new law is needed because of a mistake or shortcoming in the previous one. It is clearly inappropriate to ascribe a mistake in law-making to God, Who is perfect, and whose creation admit of no flaws.
However, in the Quran, the abrogating verses mark the end of the validity of the abrogated verses because their heed and effect was of a temporary or limited nature. In time the new law appears and announces the end of the validity of the earlier law. Considering that Quran was revealed over a period of twenty-three years in ever-changing circumstances, it is not difficult to imagine the necessity of such laws.
It is in this light that we should regard the wisdom of abrogation within the Quran:
"And when we put a revelation in place of (another) revelation and Allah knows best what He reveals -- they say: you are just inventing it. Most of them do not know. Say: The Holy Spirit (Gibril) has revealed it from your hand with truth and as a guidance and good news for those who have surrendered (to God)" [16:101-102]
It is a science on its own in Islam to know the Nasikh and Mansukh.
Hajj Gibril