• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamics only: Poll

Moses is a...

• Historical Figure

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Legendary Character

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I’m curious what Christians/Jews are more prone to believe when it comes to Moses. Was he a person that existed and performed the exploits that are recorded in the Torah? I was watching a video on the authorship of the Bible, and the video said that most Christians and Jews see Moses as a legendary character. When I think about all the Christians I’ve known, I’d figure most of them see Moses as a historical character, like I do.
So I make a poll.
I’m a Biblical literalist, so there is my reasoning for my vote. The New Testament records that Jesus saw Moses at the transfiguration, so if you feel that Moses is legendary, do you think this story is legendary as well? Do you suppose the whole Bible to be legendary? If you feel the whole Bible to be legendary, why do you call yourself a believer?
:)

Suave

Simulated character
I’m curious what Christians/Jews are more prone to believe when it comes to Moses. Was he a person that existed and performed the exploits that are recorded in the Torah? I was watching a video on the authorship of the Bible, and the video said that most Christians and Jews see Moses as a legendary character. When I think about all the Christians I’ve known, I’d figure most of them see Moses as a historical character, like I do.
So I make a poll.
I’m a Biblical literalist, so there is my reasoning for my vote. The New Testament records that Jesus saw Moses at the transfiguration, so if you feel that Moses is legendary, do you think this story is legendary as well? Do you suppose the whole Bible to be legendary? If you feel the whole Bible to be legendary, why do you call yourself a believer?

As a Christian Matrixist please allow me to posit God as being a sims controller, a reality-based virtual reality programmer of human consciousness; as such, God could have indeed disrupted the laws governing our virtual reality thereby enabling Moses to part the Red Sea, However, I'm dubious regarding the Biblical tale of Egypt having lost its army and firstborn sons, I'm supposing this would have caused a noticeable collapse of Egyptian civilization. I'm guessing Egyptian adversaries would have taken advantage of Egypt in such a weakened condition, they would have pounced all over Egypt!

Lain

So I make a poll.

If that's how most see him that's news to me. In my view he is a historical figure, prophet of the past, seer of Christ, and one of the preeminent members of the Eternal Church who saw God. As with all the members of Christ's body in my view he is still with us today, living and assisting in the salvation of all. Yes he was on Tabor with the Lord.

St. John Chrysostom says about him: All the other prophets spoke either of what was to occur after a long time or of what was about to happen then; but he, the blessed (Moses), who lived many generations after (the creation of the world), was vouchsafed by the guidance of the right hand of the Most High to utter what had been done by the Lord before his own birth.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
So I make a poll.

I believe Moses was an historical character but some aspects of his life story have been embellished such as the parting of the sea when fleeing the Egyptians. Because Moses lived so long ago, there is no solid proof to establish Moses was a real person, let alone determine what aspects of the Torah are literally true,

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I couldn't check either as there's no way possible to know the answer to the OP.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
So I make a poll.
Moses existed according to Baha'i, but as to the history of what he did, that is up for grabs. My personal opinion, just my personal opinion from what I have read He led the Levites out of Egypt to freedom, but not all the 12 tribes. The 10 plagues never happened nor the parting of the Red Sea. Are the 10 plagues a metaphor, there is no way for me to know that. That is a mystery to me. I don't mind not knowing something like this to any certainty. I am sort of like a scientist that way.

Truthseeker

As a Christian Matrixist please allow me to posit God as being a sims controller, a reality-based virtual reality programmer of human consciousness; as such, God could have indeed disrupted the laws governing our virtual reality thereby enabling Moses to part the Red Sea
That's why you are known as a matrixist. How did you come to believe this?

Truthseeker

Because Moses lived so long ago, there is no solid proof to establish Moses was a real person, let alone determine what aspects of the Torah are literally true,
Yes, there is no solid proof as you say that Moses existed as you say from historical scholars.

Suave

Simulated character
That's why you are known as a matrixist. How did you come to believe this?
The sci-fi film the Matrix inspired me to consider the possibility of us humans living in a simulation. After following Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, I seriously considered the likelihood of simulated reality.

Our genetic code's creator has left this mathematical pattern in our genetic code conveying to me the symbol of an Egyptian triangle as well as the number 37 embedded in our genetic code.
Eight of the canonical amino acids can be sufficiently defined by the composition of their codon's first and second base nucleotides. The nucleon sum of these amino acids' side chains is 333 (=37 * 3 squared), the sun of their block nucleons (basic core structure) is 592 (=37 * 4 squared), and the sum of their total nucleons is 925 (=37 * 5 squared ). With 37 factored out, this results in 3 squared + 4 squared = 5 squared, which is representative of an Egyptian triangle.

https://www.mentealternativa.com/ma...ow-signal-of-the-terrestrial-genetic-code.pdf

The "Wow! signal" of the terrestrial genetic code
Vladimir I. shCherbak, Maxim A. Makukov
carus, 2013, 224(1), 228-242
DOI: 10.1016/j.icarus.2013.02.017
arXiv:1303.6739

The mathematical pattern of the number 37 being used as a key factor for conveying an Egyptian triangle might be related to the gematria value of 37 appearing in the Hebrew language of Genesis 1:1.

genesis%2B11%2Bvalues.png

You shall have no gods before the creator of the heavens and earth, life's creator!

Five reasons we may be living in a simulation:

1. Crude simulations and virtual realities have already been simulated by computers .
A study conducted by Henry Markram and his team at the Blue Brain project have successfully simulated elements of a rat’s neocortical column, a complex layer of brain tissue common to all mammalian species. " Henry Markram at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne and his team built their model based on experimental measurements of rat brain slices. The simulation represents roughly 37 million synapses, or neuronal connections, in the brain region that receives sensory information from the whiskers and other parts of the body. Using the model, the team simulated rat whisker movement and saw similar neuronal responses to those observed in rat experiments."

Computer model of rat-brain part - Nature.

I realize a computer simulation of a rat's neocortical column is nowhere near the complexity of a computer simulation of an entire living human brain, but this does demonstrate at least a bit of progress so far being made towards an entire human brain's consciousness being simulated by a computer.

Perhaps when scientists have figured out how to read the actual results of a consciousness simulation, then the simulation hypothesis will become a widely accepted theory.

2. Wave-function collapse - Matter exists as a probability wave that collapses to a particle upon observation. Wave-function collapse would be expected in a simulated reality, because computational resources would be conserved by only simulating observed matter.

3. Matrix glitches - Paranormal phenomenon might happen in a simulation where the rules governing the simulation are disrupted or changed

4 Compromises in simulation algorithms - The human mind and the internet use very similar algorithms or methods to manage the flow of information., these methods often take short cuts to conserve energy or conserve computational resources, this might be expected in a computer simulation.

Study: Internet, Human Brain Use Similar Algorithms to Process Info

5. Computer code found in string theory,

In conclusion, with the wave-function collapsing in order to conserve computational power of a simulator device, a semantic message in genetic coding, and the computer coding found buried deep within the mathematical equations of super symmetry., seems to me like we are living in a simulation.Indications of us living in a simulation have only recently been discovered by scientists. As technology advances, and scientists become closer to being able to model and read a simulation of human consciousness, the simulation hypothesis will become more widely accepted.

Truthseeker

The sci-fi film the Matrix inspired me to consider the possibility of us humans living in a simulation. After following Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, I seriously considered the likelihood of simulated reality.

Our genetic code's creator has left this mathematical pattern in our genetic code conveying to me the symbol of an Egyptian triangle as well as the number 37 embedded in our genetic code.
Eight of the canonical amino acids can be sufficiently defined by the composition of their codon's first and second base nucleotides. The nucleon sum of these amino acids' side chains is 333 (=37 * 3 squared), the sun of their block nucleons (basic core structure) is 592 (=37 * 4 squared), and the sum of their total nucleons is 925 (=37 * 5 squared ). With 37 factored out, this results in 3 squared + 4 squared = 5 squared, which is representative of an Egyptian triangle.

https://www.mentealternativa.com/ma...ow-signal-of-the-terrestrial-genetic-code.pdf

The "Wow! signal" of the terrestrial genetic code
Vladimir I. shCherbak, Maxim A. Makukov
carus, 2013, 224(1), 228-242
DOI: 10.1016/j.icarus.2013.02.017
arXiv:1303.6739

The mathematical pattern of the number 37 being used as a key factor for conveying an Egyptian triangle might be related to the gematria value of 37 appearing in the Hebrew language of Genesis 1:1.

genesis%2B11%2Bvalues.png

You shall have no gods before the creator of the heavens and earth, life's creator!

Five reasons we may be living in a simulation:

1. Crude simulations and virtual realities have already been simulated by computers .
A study conducted by Henry Markram and his team at the Blue Brain project have successfully simulated elements of a rat’s neocortical column, a complex layer of brain tissue common to all mammalian species. " Henry Markram at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne and his team built their model based on experimental measurements of rat brain slices. The simulation represents roughly 37 million synapses, or neuronal connections, in the brain region that receives sensory information from the whiskers and other parts of the body. Using the model, the team simulated rat whisker movement and saw similar neuronal responses to those observed in rat experiments."

Computer model of rat-brain part - Nature.

I realize a computer simulation of a rat's neocortical column is nowhere near the complexity of a computer simulation of an entire living human brain, but this does demonstrate at least a bit of progress so far being made towards an entire human brain's consciousness being simulated by a computer.

Perhaps when scientists have figured out how to read the actual results of a consciousness simulation, then the simulation hypothesis will become a widely accepted theory.

2. Wave-function collapse - Matter exists as a probability wave that collapses to a particle upon observation. Wave-function collapse would be expected in a simulated reality, because computational resources would be conserved by only simulating observed matter.

3. Matrix glitches - Paranormal phenomenon might happen in a simulation where the rules governing the simulation are disrupted or changed

4 Compromises in simulation algorithms - The human mind and the internet use very similar algorithms or methods to manage the flow of information., these methods often take short cuts to conserve energy or conserve computational resources, this might be expected in a computer simulation.

Study: Internet, Human Brain Use Similar Algorithms to Process Info

5. Computer code found in string theory,

In conclusion, with the wave-function collapsing in order to conserve computational power of a simulator device, a semantic message in genetic coding, and the computer coding found buried deep within the mathematical equations of super symmetry., seems to me like we are living in a simulation.Indications of us living in a simulation have only recently been discovered by scientists. As technology advances, and scientists become closer to being able to model and read a simulation of human consciousness, the simulation hypothesis will become more widely accepted.
i don't believe that myself, but there's no denying you've put some thought into this.