• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Religions and God's Will

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where do you get your opinions about gods?

From my own experience and from listening to how those who believe in them think about them. For example, a pretty reliable indicator for me that such people aren't experiencing the same thing is their disparate reports of the deity.

science is a tool and life is bigger than what science can speak about.

Empiricism, or experience, is all we have to discover what life is. And that's good enough, because if it can't be experienced even indirectly, why discuss it?

But of course some people sell their soul to science as if it is the be all and end all and so get stuck in the science box and seen nothing else.

What else do you have to show for your investigations using this other way of knowing that is outside of experience, or what you call science? Incidentally, even though everything I know comes to me through my senses, almost none of what I call knowledge comes from science as in laboratories and observatories. It's not a matter of science versus faith, but of experience versus guessing about that which can't experienced.

you speak from a science perspective only and not a whole of life perspective.

I speak from a whole of life perspective. How could it be any other way? You keep wanting to reduce experience to science. Knowledge comes from processing the evidence of the senses and nowhere else. Metaphysical speculations do not add to knowledge.

science is also something that we begin believing by faith and never end at what can be called truth.

Science delivers truth as I define it, and requires no faith to understand or use. An idea is true or correct if it accurately maps some portion of observable reality, that is, if the idea allows one to predict real world outcomes. If I tell you that I live five blocks north and three blocks east of the pier, if walking five blocks south and then three west gets me to the pier, the statement was a fact, was true, was correct, and is knowledge. My mental map corresponded to the physical layout of the roads. It accurately mapped that aspect of reality. Any other outcome than ending at the pier means that the statement doesn't conform to reality. It's incorrect, not a fact, and not knowledge. This is what you have been calling science, and I empiricism or experience, which is informal science. It's the same process applied to daily life - collecting observations and making useful generalizations about them that map onto reality such as how to get to the pier.

Why do people claim to know God and what is your understanding of god beliefs?

People misinterpret the spiritual experience, which is a human response to various experiences characterized by a sense of mystery, awe, gratitude, and connection or belonging. It's very easy when having such an experience to project it outward onto the universe and interpret the experience as the sensation as something other than just the mind creating a feeling, that is, of experiencing a god.

It's good that you see the inconsistency in a universe (or even universes) existing undesigned and uncreated.

I consider the universe undesigned and uncreated. What I wrote was, "How could a god exist undesigned and uncreated?" I know how a universe could, but how could a god? Did it evolve from gases and mist into something that knows everything and can do anything? What keeps it from evaporating back into disorder? What records its memories and what prevents them from becoming corrupted over time? Are we asked to believe that the most complex thing conceivable just exists for no reason? I see how galaxies could form, and life, but a god? And if nature can produce one god by some mechanism, why aren't there a population of them?

Messianic Israelite

so there are something like 40,000 denominations of christianity.

do you suppose that if there is this thing that abrahamic believers called god, that it has 40,000+ different wills? and that isn't even counting judaism and islam in addition

Hi Fool. Good afternoon. Any person that is thinking logically will realise that there is a major problem in Chr-stianity. If there is one Holy Spirit, and that Holy Spirit is a spirit of truth, why should they be so many denominations? The question should be asked, is the Holy Spirit even evident within Chr-stianity. My faith exists outside of Chr-stianity, just as the Tent of Meeting was stationed outside the Camp of Israel. We exist outside of Judaism, Chr-stianity and Islam, but we adhere to the Bible completely. We don't have to jump hoops around scriptures that don't agree with us. We accept all the Bible as Truth. We are commanded to keep the commandments of Yahweh, so we do. We don't play games with religion. We believe the Holy Spirit is evident within our group. Acts 5:32 clearly tells us the Holy Spirit will only abide with those that obey the commandments of Yahweh.