• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Religions and God's Will

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You have not answered my question.
"How does doing what is God's will make you into the Way, the Truth and the Light?"
god is an action, being is a verb.

1 John 4:12-13

to come is a verb. to come in in the Spirit of Love is God's spirit. Love is God's will.

Are you saying that we can come to the Father through you also?
how can you come to god except through the Spirit of Love. is there any other WAY?

1 John 4:2 is the Spirit manifested in self and as the WAY to come

Are you saying that you are Jesus?
of course not, unless jesus went away the Spirit of Truth wouldn't come to self because self would be expecting it through another and not self.

john 14:15-21

Are you saying that you only Love and have no sin?
1 John 4:12 where there is love, there is no sin.

proverbs 10:12

What are you saying?
jesus has already come to god. everyone who has contempt for love, or finds it common, aren't grateful. they have taken for granted the most precious thing one can have.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For every answer humanism helps you avoid, it has other unanswered questions of it's own which you have no problem with.

As I demonstrated, humanism - atheism in particular - resolves multiple problems created by faith-based paradigms, which I've indicated is typical of switching from a wrong paradigm to a correct one, as when somebody says, "It all makes sense now looking at it that way. Those 25 just-so stories from my investment advisor about why he couldn't get my investment back to me were getting pretty hard to believe. He was lying." Remember the quote from Abbey. Remember Occam's Razor.

Why do you consider the unanswered questions that remain with humanism relevant to this discussion? Are you implying that this is a shortcoming of humanism relative to theism or any other worldview, and a reason to consider replacing it? If so, I disagree. Humanism creates no new problems like religious doctrine does, and the ones I mentioned all melt away with unbelief, so, some old issues resolved and no new problems created. And no other paradigm answers questions. I'll explain:

I've often heard it said that science answers how, but religion answers why - so-called nonoverlapping magesteria, each equally valid in its own domain. I disagree. I don't consider what comes from religion to be answers in the sense that they are knowledge. They're metaphysical pronouncements, which are untestable and unfalsifiable, making them guesses, not knowledge. Knowledge only comes from the proper interpretation of experience, that is, empirically. If it can't be answered by empirical techniques, which generate demonstrably correct claims, it can't be answered at all by my definition of an answer.

Clara Tea

so there are something like 40,000 denominations of christianity.

do you suppose that if there is this thing that abrahamic believers called god, that it has 40,000+ different wills? and that isn't even counting judaism and islam in addition

Yes, and no. . . (and maybe).

Clara Tea

so god is polytheistic and not monotheistic?

The Christian and Muslim religions are spin-offs of the Jewish religion. Ancient Jews were polytheists. They realized that their most powerful God was jealous of others (resented that people worship them), so, Jews had to change to monotheism.

It stands to reason that if Christians and Muslims knew more about the Jewish faith (origin of their own faith), they would have to admit that there are more Gods.

Clara Tea

god is an action, being is a verb.

1 John 4:12-13

to come is a verb. to come in in the Spirit of Love is God's spirit. Love is God's will.

how can you come to god except through the Spirit of Love. is there any other WAY?

1 John 4:2 is the Spirit manifested in self and as the WAY to come

of course not, unless jesus went away the Spirit of Truth wouldn't come to self because self would be expecting it through another and not self.

john 14:15-21

1 John 4:12 where there is love, there is no sin.

proverbs 10:12

jesus has already come to god. everyone who has contempt for love, or finds it common, aren't grateful. they have taken for granted the most precious thing one can have.

We can rob banks and shoot bank guards but love all of them.....no sin.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

do you suppose that if there is this thing that abrahamic believers called god, that it has 40,000+ different wills? and that isn't even counting judaism and islam in addition

Yahweh better know how to multitask.

Clara Tea

As I demonstrated, humanism - atheism in particular - resolves multiple problems created by faith-based paradigms, which I've indicated is typical of switching from a wrong paradigm to a correct one, as when somebody says, "It all makes sense now looking at it that way. Those 25 just-so stories from my investment advisor about why he couldn't get my investment back to me were getting pretty hard to believe. He was lying." Remember the quote from Abbey. Remember Occam's Razor.

Why do you consider the unanswered questions that remain with humanism relevant to this discussion? Are you implying that this is a shortcoming of humanism relative to theism or any other worldview, and a reason to consider replacing it? If so, I disagree. Humanism creates no new problems like religious doctrine does, and the ones I mentioned all melt away with unbelief, so, some old issues resolved and no new problems created. And no other paradigm answers questions. I'll explain:

I've often heard it said that science answers how, but religion answers why - so-called nonoverlapping magesteria, each equally valid in its own domain. I disagree. I don't consider what comes from religion to be answers in the sense that they are knowledge. They're metaphysical pronouncements, which are untestable and unfalsifiable, making them guesses, not knowledge. Knowledge only comes from the proper interpretation of experience, that is, empirically. If it can't be answered by empirical techniques, which generate demonstrably correct claims, it can't be answered at all by my definition of an answer.

Whee...it's okay to guess. I'll just get on my flying unicorn and fly around my kingdom.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Ok, so you can't have two wills, for example want to eat and drink?

that is still one will. one person deciding and doing. if the person had multiple wills they would possibly be eating and drinking for more than one; so will 1 would be eating a hamburger and drinking a beer, will 2 would possibly be eating bread and drinking water, will 3 might not be hungry.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Humanism creates no new problems like religious doctrine does, and the ones I mentioned all melt away with unbelief, so, some old issues resolved and no new problems created.

It sounds like the real opiate of the people.

And no other paradigm answers questions. I'll explain:

Many things in science (notably those in the areas of the things that God specifically mentions as things that He has done or specifically mentions His answers to) are untestable and the best that can be done is make guesses. But that doesn't really matter if we see limits to our knowledge and don't call those guesses "knowledge". But that is what appears to happen when explaining science to the unscientific. The best conclusions are taught as knowledge. But who cares except for those who are theists and see this part of science as a competing belief system.
So anyway, with your definition of an answer I hope you don't fall for any particular pseudo answers from science to any of the things that God has claimed for Himself and which science cannot test and verify.
However you do land on the side which does trust in science for answers even if it is not any particular answers. It is just a trust in what man can find out through experiment.
So why not trust in what man has experienced over the years in the realm of the spiritual and visitations from God?
That is part of human experience as much as scientific testing.
The thing about it that is bothersome of course is not knowing what version of this spiritual knowledge is the truth.
A continual seeking of the right truth is a virtue however even from the ranks of humanism.
An even more virtuous stance would be to say that a God exists and to seek the truth of which God from that position.
Is there anything to lose in doing such a thing?
It isn't as if the existence of a God is out of the question and some things virtually shout to us that God exists.
Occam's Razor leaving the least number of problems for us, or the most easily problems to resolve, is never really a satisfying way to find the truth, if that is what we are after.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many things in science (notably those in the areas of the things that God specifically mentions as things that He has done or specifically mentions His answers to) are untestable and the best that can be done is make guesses.

We need not guess. We should not guess.

I hope you don't fall for any particular pseudo answers from science to any of the things that God has claimed for Himself and which science cannot test and verify.

I don't get my opinions about gods from science. It has nothing to say on the matter.

You've referred to the untestable twice already. I'll assume that you mean what I do - that which is not merely contingently untestable because we haven't invented the right machine yet, but that which is in principle undetectable because it makes no impact on matter. That's the so-called metaphysical realm. The empiricist isn't interested in any statement about that which is described and undetectable or untestable. Such statements are considered unscientific, and are neither correct nor incorrect. Some say not even wrong. They are also called metaphysical. One can speculate for centuries on such matters, but one will never acquire any knowledge in the process, meaning that discussing these undetectable metaphysical entities a sterile pastime. No useful answers come come from any pursuit not tethered to observation and experience. So it's not just that these matters are beyond empirical inquiry, they can be treated as irrelevant.

Here's a central truth: If one describes something as existing outside of space and time and being undetectable even in principle, one has just described every nonexistent entity. To exist, to be real and a part of reality, is to occupy a place through a series of consecutive instants and to be able to affect other real things and be affected by them. Things that don't meet that description can be ignored. How could they matter even if there was sense in which they could be said to exist albeit causally disconnected from our reality?

However you do land on the side which does trust in science for answers even if it is not any particular answers. It is just a trust in what man can find out through experiment. So why not trust in what man has experienced over the years in the realm of the spiritual and visitations from God?

I don't trust such reports, nor should I. My understanding of spiritual matters and of god beliefs comes directly from personal experience, and usually contradicts how others describe theirs.

A continual seeking of the right truth is a virtue however even from the ranks of humanism.

Agreed, but I don't consider faith a path to truth for reasons already given. In fact, I can conceive of no better way to begin to accumulate false beliefs than to begin believing by faith.

An even more virtuous stance would be to say that a God exists and to seek the truth of which God from that position.

I find no virtue there. That's a faith-based belief. Also, I've already done that, which is where I got my understanding of god beliefs and why people claim to know God.

Is there anything to lose in doing such a thing?

Yes. And I've already incurred such losses. Faith is a risky method for making life decisions. I married badly because I thought that the Spirit was directing to marry a woman in our church I barely knew and who it turns out I was not compatible with. The divorce was bitter. That's what faith can do for one.

What would the cost have been to me had I remained in Christianity? How many hours would I have invested in reading the Bible when I could have been reading things I could actually benefit from, or practicing guitar, or studying contract bridge - things I did that rewarded me greatly? How many Sundays would have been spent in church over 40+ years? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars would have been tithed away? I retired to the mountains of Mexico at 55 yo. I'd probably still be working and living in the States, both negatives from my perspective. And I probably never would have married my second wife of 32 years now. She's also a humanist.

I understand that you find meaning and value in your beliefs and want to share that, and for that I thank you, but there is nothing there for me in religion or faith. Your way of going through life is as undesirable to me as my godless, empirical way is to you. We each consider the other's path inadequate for ourselves. There's nothing that theism or religion has to offer a person who is happy without it just as I have nothing to offer you if you're content with a theistic worldview.

It isn't as if the existence of a God is out of the question and some things virtually shout to us that God exists.

Nothing shouts out to me that there is a conscious entity that created the universe. How could a god exist undesigned and uncreated? I consider that less likely a source of the universe than a multiverse, for example, which doesn't need to be conscious or organized. I don't know how that could exist either, but a conscious deity is orders of magnitude less likely.

Occam's Razor leaving the least number of problems for us, or the most easily problems to resolve, is never really a satisfying way to find the truth, if that is what we are after.

A satisfying answer to me is a correct answer, and a correct answer means demonstrably correct and thus useful for anticipating outcomes.

What Occam's razor does is what all things called razors do: it limits (shaves off like a razor) the number of options worth considering, which is what makes it a valuable principle. It keeps hypotheses tied to observation. If everything observed can be accounted for without a deity, say the tree of life using naturalistic evolution, then gratuitously inserting a deity into the narrative adds no explanatory power, so why do it before some observation arises not adequately explained without positing an intelligent designer? Even then, Occam says not to make this intelligent designer supernatural if a naturalistic intelligent designer such as a race of superhuman extraterrestrials that themselves evolved naturalistically would suffice. Adding complexity that doesn't enhance explanatory or predictive power is the opposite of helpful.

Brian2

Veteran Member
We need not guess. We should not guess.

That is the nature of science when looking into things that happened in the past.
I have no problems with most of that guesswork as it appears to be correct and has confirmation from other things. It is those things which relate to what God in the Bible has said that He has done which I have a problem with. And interestingly enough they are the things that science cannot find answers for and have to make guesses which have no confirmation.

I don't get my opinions about gods from science. It has nothing to say on the matter.

Where do you get your opinions about gods?

You've referred to the untestable twice already. I'll assume that you mean what I do - that which is not merely contingently untestable because we haven't invented the right machine yet, but that which is in principle undetectable because it makes no impact on matter. That's the so-called metaphysical realm. The empiricist isn't interested in any statement about that which is described and undetectable or untestable. Such statements are considered unscientific, and are neither correct nor incorrect. Some say not even wrong. They are also called metaphysical. One can speculate for centuries on such matters, but one will never acquire any knowledge in the process, meaning that discussing these undetectable metaphysical entities a sterile pastime. No useful answers come come from any pursuit not tethered to observation and experience. So it's not just that these matters are beyond empirical inquiry, they can be treated as irrelevant.

They can be treated as irrelevant in a science that only allows for the empirical.
But science is a tool and life is bigger than what science can speak about. But of course some people sell their soul to science as if it is the be all and end all and so get stuck in the science box and seen nothing else.

Here's a central truth: If one describes something as existing outside of space and time and being undetectable even in principle, one has just described every nonexistent entity. To exist, to be real and a part of reality, is to occupy a place through a series of consecutive instants and to be able to affect other real things and be affected by them. Things that don't meet that description can be ignored. How could they matter even if there was sense in which they could be said to exist albeit causally disconnected from our reality?

But you speak from a science perspective only and not a whole of life perspective.
Life, love, hate etc affect material things in space and time but they cannot be pin pointed by science or measured.

I don't trust such reports, nor should I. My understanding of spiritual matters and of god beliefs comes directly from personal experience, and usually contradicts how others describe theirs.

The stories in the Bible are not subjective so called spiritual experiences, so I think you are talking about a different thing.

Agreed, but I don't consider faith a path to truth for reasons already given. In fact, I can conceive of no better way to begin to accumulate false beliefs than to begin believing by faith.

Something beyond just a subjective feeling should come into our beliefs true and that is what happens in science. I am told that science does not find truth even if what is found can become more certain as evidence accumulates. So science is also something that we begin believing by faith and never end at what can be called truth. This also can happen in our subjective experience as well as in an empirical way.
If we believe that nothing outside the realm of the scientific is real then we are believing by faith just as a believer in God does.

I find no virtue there. That's a faith-based belief. Also, I've already done that, which is where I got my understanding of god beliefs and why people claim to know God.

Why do people claim to know God and what is your understanding of god beliefs?

Yes. And I've already incurred such losses. Faith is a risky method for making life decisions. I married badly because I thought that the Spirit was directing to marry a woman in our church I barely knew and who it turns out I was not compatible with. The divorce was bitter. That's what faith can do for one.

What would the cost have been to me had I remained in Christianity? How many hours would I have invested in reading the Bible when I could have been reading things I could actually benefit from, or practicing guitar, or studying contract bridge - things I did that rewarded me greatly? How many Sundays would have been spent in church over 40+ years? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars would have been tithed away? I retired to the mountains of Mexico at 55 yo. I'd probably still be working and living in the States, both negatives from my perspective. And I probably never would have married my second wife of 32 years now. She's also a humanist.

I understand that you find meaning and value in your beliefs and want to share that, and for that I thank you, but there is nothing there for me in religion or faith. Your way of going through life is as undesirable to me as my godless, empirical way is to you. We each consider the other's path inadequate for ourselves. There's nothing that theism or religion has to offer a person who is happy without it just as I have nothing to offer you if you're content with a theistic worldview.

They say it is better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all. That also would go the same with our past experiences in other areas. We always get something positive from it even though regrets at times can be hard to shake off.
We can throw out the baby with the bath water however when we move on, and treat the whole experience as negative and with nothing good in it.

Nothing shouts out to me that there is a conscious entity that created the universe. How could a god exist undesigned and uncreated? I consider that less likely a source of the universe than a multiverse, for example, which doesn't need to be conscious or organized. I don't know how that could exist either, but a conscious deity is orders of magnitude less likely.

It's good that you see the inconsistency in a universe (or even universes) existing undesigned and uncreated.
The only way would be to keep going back to a cause of the first cause (and probably to a greater cause at each step back.)
We do know however that this universe had a beginning and the complexity of it, which suggests intelligence and design, did have a beginning.
We have no way to check out a cause in another realm however. Does the realm of life and love and spirit wear out? Can it have been there from time indefinite to be a source of anything and everything else?
Interestingly that sort of thing seems to be something we have with the B theory of time, where everything is and has always been.
It is interesting what science comes up with but at the same time rubbishes a Spiritual reality as the source of life and intelligence etc etc.

A satisfying answer to me is a correct answer, and a correct answer means demonstrably correct and thus useful for anticipating outcomes.

What Occam's razor does is what all things called razors do: it limits (shaves off like a razor) the number of options worth considering, which is what makes it a valuable principle. It keeps hypotheses tied to observation. If everything observed can be accounted for without a deity, say the tree of life using naturalistic evolution, then gratuitously inserting a deity into the narrative adds no explanatory power, so why do it before some observation arises not adequately explained without positing an intelligent designer? Even then, Occam says not to make this intelligent designer supernatural if a naturalistic intelligent designer such as a race of superhuman extraterrestrials that themselves evolved naturalistically would suffice. Adding complexity that doesn't enhance explanatory or predictive power is the opposite of helpful.

Interestingly the Bible prophecies, which keep showing what will happen even if those things may have in the past seemed unimaginable, is satisfying and demonstrably correct and useful in anticipating outcomes.
But of course time goes on and we are just a ripple in it's vast ocean. A really useful answer is one that has answered death. For us it does not matter about complexity and what is more or less complex really. And who says a God is the more complex answer anyway?

Everyone got a few right pieces of the jigsaw puzzle! When you have one thing right - you feel like you got everything right! Pieces of jigsaw puzzle are scattered among multiple religions.
Almost every religion is build like that - except the ones worshipping the devil or animal gods! Those are the lost souls! It will be very hard for them to find the entry point to God's immediate kingdom. IMO
Atheists don't have any right piece of the puzzle at all! They will not be looking for God's immediate kingdom. They don't think it exists! Their souls will be fading away into nothingness! IMO

Last edited: