• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About Jinns

gnostic

The Lost One
neves said:
okay I did contradict myself, if they are outside out ability to perceive them then they are technically "spirits"... but my point is the same,

the existence of other life forms is not a superstitious idea...
A mythical being is still a mythical being, whether they be ghoul, goblin or djinn.

I still see spirit and ghost as belief in the supernatural and superstition.

Tell me this, neves:

Do you believe that the djinn, whom you call Iblis or Shaytan, whispers into your ear or invade your thought, to make you commit sin?
If so, then :yes: I would definitely what I would call this "superstition". That's the nature of superstition. But of course, today's psychologist might call this delusion or paranoia (or both).

neves

A mythical being is still a mythical being, whether they be ghoul, goblin or djinn.

I still see spirit and ghost as belief in the supernatural and superstition.

Tell me this, neves:
Do you believe that the djinn, whom you call Iblis or Shaytan, whispers into your ear or invade your thought, to make you commit sin?
If so, then :yes: I would definitely what I would call this "superstition". That's the nature of superstition. But of course, today's psychologist might call this delusion or paranoia (or both).

thx for your opinion...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
thanks for the statement... so what is you stance on other life forms?

By definition a life form is detectable. Anything that is not detectable is of only speculative existence, if it does exist at all.

Viruses and other microbes used to be indetectable, and they are sometimes benign and at other times malign (for humans, that is)... but I still very much doubt that it is them that the word Jinn refers to.

For one thing, microbes have no will and no desire, so they can't be good or evil in any meaningful sense of the word. For another, the implication would be that the author or authors of the Quran somehow knew about microbes... but that is if anything even harder to believe. Such knowledgeable authors would certainly present something much more ambitious as a Holy Book.

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't know about you, neves, but I never have seen or heard of any spiritual being that can shift change into look like another human being or a form of animal of some sorts, except in religious scriptures, myths, fables, sci-fi or horror novels and movies, etc.

Unless you present some credible evidences that can be observed and tested, then such entities existed in the real world, then I would have to assign the djinns to mythological "spirit" category, similar to vampires, ghouls, ghosts, fairies, demons and angels.

Djinns and angels are fascinating topic, like the dragons, phoenix and centaurs, but in the real, every-day world, it is only used for escapism or flight of fancy.

gnostic

The Lost One
I seen this sort of video before. It is a disturbing video, but it is no more convincing in seeing the Christian version of demonic possessions.

I believed that the gospels have done a lot of damages to Christianity, especially of modern claims to exorcism, faith healing and Speaking in Tongues. These types of videos can only hurt Islam's image than enhanced it.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I seen this sort of video before. It is a disturbing video, but it is no more convincing in seeing the Christian version of demonic possessions.

I believed that the gospels have done a lot of damages to Christianity, especially of modern claims to exorcism, faith healing and Speaking in Tongues. These types of videos can only hurt Islam's image than enhanced it.

I agree,it has the opposite effect to what is intended

neves

I don't know about you, neves, but I never have seen or heard of any spiritual being that can shift change into look like another human being or a form of animal of some sorts, except in religious scriptures, myths, fables, sci-fi or horror novels and movies, etc.

Unless you present some credible evidences that can be observed and tested, then such entities existed in the real world, then I would have to assign the djinns to mythological "spirit" category, similar to vampires, ghouls, ghosts, fairies, demons and angels.

Djinns and angels are fascinating topic, like the dragons, phoenix and centaurs, but in the real, every-day world, it is only used for escapism or flight of fancy.

that is a reasonable way to look at it...

indeed you never heard of spiritual beings outside of those sources because after they have been perceived they are no longer spirits...

and I can see how hard it would be for you to believe in something when you don't believe its source...

for me its believable because I trust its source %100 (the Quran)...

again thank for your opinion...

gnostic

The Lost One

indeed you never heard of spiritual beings outside of those sources because after they have been perceived they are no longer spirits...

and I can see how hard it would be for you to believe in something when you don't believe its source...

I don't believe in jinns, not only because of the questionable source, neves.

I don't believe in it because I have never seen a jinn, which is a big one.

The 3rd reason why I don't believe in it, because it is impossible for smoke (djinn) to be a living, sentient entity, that supposedly take the form of any human or animal, which is also equally impossible, except in myth.

I might as well as believe in fairies too, if I was to believe in djinns.

By trusting 100% the Qur'an, even though you have never seen ones; there are words for it, when you believe in something, even though that it could not possibly exist, beyond your mythological book, in the real world:

It is call "blind faith", neves. :cover:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, if you want that, then you will need better and real evidences to back up your prophet's claims. Any miracle without supporting evidences to prove it was more than miracle, is required before I can even trust it remotely.

Of course. I would like to see non-Muslim Arabic sources and any independent sources of the time before Muhammad. If what is written in the Qur'an, then the more sources you have in the period of the biblical time, the better.

I am not singling out just the Qur'an or other Islamic sources. This goes for the Tanakh and the Bible too. Any old sources that paralleled with the events of bible or qur'an, to support them, would be considered.

Hmmmm, what was this about? :p

The Jinns, yeah i forgot. :D

So you want a scientific evidence that Jinns exist or you won't believe they do?

And by the way, i didn't read the Haggada before, just the Bible.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Jinns exist 100%, but we are not sure whether Jinns are able to speak and do actions using a human body or not. I'm sure they can, but i don't think it occur as much as some try to stress.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I agree with everything that gnostic has been saying, I would like to add that outside of the religious paradigm, all djinn, demons/daimons, gods, God, angels, faeries, etc. are what C.G. Jung describes as ancient archetypal images that are buried deep within our unconscious. Through symbolism they manifest into our conscious.

They are as real as you want them to be (in your own mind of course) similar to the Christian-German Santa Claus . . . very very real at the age of six but eventually we are told that mom & dad 'made it up' to create this paradigm of gift sensationalism and awe in Santa's generosity and magical powers.

gnostic

The Lost One
tashaN said:
So you want a scientific evidence that Jinns exist or you won't believe they do?

Yes. :yes:

But if jinns are supposed to be real, like angels, then I would certainly like to see jinns (as well as angels) for myself, before I can even believe that they exist.

Have you seen one? Do seriously believe that jinns are made out of smoke, and yet can take any shape they like, looking like humans or animals?

Do you think these jinns can possess a person, like what it say in the gospels about demon-possessions or in the video on post 46?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. :yes:

But if jinns are supposed to be real, like angels, then I would certainly like to see jinns (as well as angels) for myself, before I can even believe that they exist.

A very important aspect in Abrahamic religions and especially Islam, is the belief in the unseen. So you won't be able to see them because they are beyond our sight capabilities.

Have you seen one? Do seriously believe that jinns are made out of smoke, and yet can take any shape they like, looking like humans or animals?
Angels are made of light, and Jinns are made of fire, but they no longer have their original form just like human beings no longer are in form of sand. I seen neither of them but sometimes i can feel their presence.

Do you think these jinns can possess a person, like what it say in the gospels about demon-possessions or in the video on post 46?
In theory, yes, but i really don't believe that all those people been possessed. Many of them are either acting or just have deep psychological problems.

gnostic

The Lost One
bowman said:
Yes, there are.

They are called fallen angels....i.e. demons...

I have not seen any fallen angels or demons too. This is no better than ghouls and goblins. Simply mythological or dark fantasy figures with no basis on reality.

BTW. To Muslims angels can't be fallen, because according to their doctrine, angels have no free will so they can't rebel. Djinns were never former angels.

Traditional Jews also don't believe in fallen angels, for the same reason as the Muslims, that angels don't have free will, therefore they can't rebel against God. To the Jews, Satan is simply one of God's angels, like Michael and Gabriel with specific duties, hence a servant of God.

The Satan, whom the Christians referred to as the Devil, as a personification of evil, don't exist. The Christian version of Satan was invention of writing that were influenced by Hellenistic religions before Jesus' time. These influences can be found by dualism of Zoroastrianism, Greek religion and Egyptian religion, where there was needs to pit good against evil, light against darkness.

Bowman

I have not seen any fallen angels or demons too. This is no better than ghouls and goblins. Simply mythological or dark fantasy figures with no basis on reality.

Demons are not to be seen, brother.

However, you are most likely being given a ride right now by a demon.

BTW. To Muslims angels can't be fallen, because according to their doctrine, angels have no free will so they can't rebel.

According to the Koran, they are fallen angels.

Djinns were never former angels.

Yes, they are.

Traditional Jews also don't believe in fallen angels, for the same reason as the Muslims, that angels don't have free will, therefore they can't rebel against God. To the Jews, Satan is simply one of God's angels, like Michael and Gabriel with specific duties, hence a servant of God.

Do you have support scripture?

The Satan, whom the Christians referred to as the Devil, as a personification of evil, don't exist.

Yes, he does.

The Christian version of Satan was invention of writing that were influenced by Hellenistic religions before Jesus' time. These influences can be found by dualism of Zoroastrianism, Greek religion and Egyptian religion, where there was needs to pit good against evil, light against darkness.

Great...another internet warrior...

gnostic

The Lost One
TashaN said:
Angels are made of light, and Jinns are made of fire, but they no longer have their original form just like human beings no longer are in form of sand.

I am not so sure what the angels made of.

However, I must point out that Judaism they believed that a group of angels that served God, known as the Seraphim (plural for seraph) means "burning ones".

In the book of Isaiah, Isaiah had narrated the time he was appointed as a prophet, and saw God and these Seraphim.

Isaiah 6:2-6 said:
2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory." 4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar.

It looked to me that these angels (seraphim) were made out of fire, considering that is the meaning of their name. And for some reasons, they are linked to serpents, possibly because seraphim have double meaning. There is kind of ironic in all this because according to Christian teaching, the serpents have being symbolically and literally linked to the devil (evil Satan), and yet the most holy of God's angels were the seraphs, hence these "serpent angels".

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I fail to see how Jinns and gods differ they are both supernatural so proving most Abrahamic religions are therefore actually polytheistic and monotheism is an aberrant irregularity.

Cheers