• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About a deity full of love and compassion…

atanu

Premium Member
the brain is aware of itself...
me and my brain are one...it's an eternal feedback of mirror images

'Me' and 'My brain' are already two.

Assuming 'Me' and 'My brain' are one -- I am very compassionate and I grant you this -- then what mirrors what?

I grant that I may be missing something and therefore the question.

waitasec

Veteran Member
'Me' and 'My brain' are already two.

Assuming 'Me' and 'My brain' are one -- I am very compassionate and I grant you this -- then what mirrors what?

I grant that I may be missing something and therefore the question.

awareness mirrors the self...

Skeptisch

The human brain is an engine of belief. How that engine works depends how it is wired. The basic wiring is done at a very young age. When we grow up in a faith based environment there is a good chance faith becomes a virtue and the cruellest events, like tsunamis and earthquakes, can still be seen as acts of compassion and love in disguise.

When we grow up in an environment of logic and reason we tend not to give credit to an unnatural deity. But it is always our brain and its wiring that is involved in the decision making. Rational, open-ended, honest inquiry has always been the true source of insight into such processes. If faith it is ever right, it is right by accident.

Neuroscientist Sam Harris’ “The Moral Landscape” is a wonderful read on that subject.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The human brain is an engine of belief. How that engine works depends how it is wired. The basic wiring is done at a very young age. When we grow up in a faith based environment there is a good chance faith becomes a virtue and the cruellest events, like tsunamis and earthquakes, can still be seen as acts of compassion and love in disguise.
Who says they are "cruel"? i.e. what is your hard-wired faith-based virtue that lends itself to the image of these natural events as "cruel"?

When we grow up in an environment of logic and reason we tend not to give credit to an unnatural deity.
Except, of course, for accrediting cruelty where cruelty is due. ;)