• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I understand why. My point all through this is that you don't seem to understand why, because you haven't applied the same reasoning to other beliefs that you hold.

That seems assumptive of you. But I will allow it. If you can tell me you know what I believe, you can then decide if I took a rational or circuitous or self-deceptive route to get there. But if you don't know "other beliefs" I hold, you can hardly fault me for them.

For example, what do I think are the three most important ideas/doctrines of the Bible? You tell me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That seems assumptive of you. But I will allow it. If you can tell me you know what I believe, you can then decide if I took a rational or circuitous or self-deceptive route to get there. But if you don't know "other beliefs" I hold, you can hardly fault me for them.
You believe in God, don't you? The support for God matches the sort of support we have for the Moon being made of cheese. Why do you call only one of them a delusion?

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Philosophical argument is not the same as knowing exactly how an abortion is performed.

This doctor performed over 1000 abortions, so he is qualified to describe, with video, just how they are done.

Some pro-choice people, after viewing the D&E video changed their minds to pro-life.

http://www.abortionprocedures.com

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I'm sorry I neglected to reply. Statistically speaking, the fastest way to significantly reduce abortions isn't via more education and more spending, but by overturning Roe v. Wade and making abortions not saving the life of the mother utterly illegal.
Overturning Roe vs Wade will not reduce the number of abortions.
It will merely push abortions underground.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Overturning Roe vs Wade will not reduce the number of abortions.
It will merely push abortions underground.

And this will make it much more dangerous for the women who are involved. Not that that matters since a foetus is apparently more valuable than the woman carrying it.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You believe in God, don't you? The support for God matches the sort of support we have for the Moon being made of cheese. Why do you call only one of them a delusion?

I don't understand. I would say "Believe God exists" is almost entirely unimportant. Satan believes God exists. I'm asking you if you know:

What do you think that I think are the three most important ideas/doctrines of the Bible? You tell me.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
appeal to emotion

I'm confused, perhaps. All the time, when I heart court testimony, I hear "horrific crime" or "evil act" or "this guy isn't a doctor but a butcher". Please present the reasons why the opposing attorney doesn't say:

Objection, your honor! Appeal to emotion! We all know humans are never to behave or affect behavior based on emotion!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
@BilliardsBall
I posted this last year, but I never got a response from you (who I quoted) or any other religious poster who opposes elective abortion.
I want to see elective feticide go away. I'm a hard core pro-lifer, I am opposed to human beings choosing death for other human beings.
Two of the best, statistically speaking, ways of reducing abortion as a form of birth control are Planned Parenthood and age appropriate sex education. So I support those efforts.
If you have better ideas please tell us all about them.
Tom

For a hard core pro-lifer like yourself, and a hard-core pro-choicer like myself, these two measures are ones we can come together on and act as fierce advocates hand in hand.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Banning illicit drugs mean will drive the market underground. This will make it more dangerous for drug users (unregulated and unsafe quantities, doped with harmful substances).

Conclusion: We should not have drug control laws.

Having gun control laws will drive the market underground. People will attain firearms through illegal and often dangerous means which may pose a greater harm to other members of society.

Conclusion: We should not have gun control laws.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Not so, nor will overturning that bad decision stop abortions. All overturning R vs W will do is return the decisions to the individual states. So some will ban, some not and others in between.

Living right on the border between Missouri and Illinois, two very different states with very different statutes on abortion restrictions, I can tell you specifically how bans impact the methods women take to terminate pregnancies.

More requests for information on non-medically facilitated abortifacients and quite literally taking their pregnancy termination into their own hands...in Missouri. Illinois residents or Missouri residents who can make the trip to the local clinic have the support to terminate with professionals who can manage their health over the course of the termination. For Missouri residents unable to make the trip, our advocacy group receives messages asking for sources for online herbs and kitchen tools that do not have the safety oversight for their own health or ultrasound/bloodwork to ensure the termination remains complication free.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
For a hard core pro-lifer like yourself, and a hard-core pro-choicer like myself, these two measures are ones we can come together on and act as fierce advocates hand in hand.
Exactly!
To my mind, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Call me an old fashioned conservative if you must.

Punishing people after the fact is a dreadfully inefficient way to get things done. Sometimes it's the best we can do, especially given that we cherish our personal liberty in the USA. But in this case it is not. Teaching people why irresponsible sex is a bad idea and giving people access to tech that reduces the irresponsibility (from the standpoint of procreation) is a total no brainer decision to me.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't understand. I would say "Believe God exists" is almost entirely unimportant. Satan believes God exists.
You're dodging the question.

In what way is belief in the existence of your god more justified than belief that the Moon is made of cheese?

I'm asking you if you know:

What do you think that I think are the three most important ideas/doctrines of the Bible? You tell me.

Why would you expect me to know or care?

Edit: and addressing the claims of the Bible before you've even established that God exists is putting the cart before the horse.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Exactly!
To my mind, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Call me an old fashioned conservative if you must.

Punishing people after the fact is a dreadfully inefficient way to get things done. Sometimes it's the best we can do, especially given that we cherish our personal liberty in the USA. But in this case it is not. Teaching people why irresponsible sex is a bad idea and giving people access to tech that reduces the irresponsibility (from the standpoint of procreation) is a total no brainer decision to me.
Tom
There are plenty of ways that the number of abortions that could be reduced that would get strong support from pro-choice groups. Pretty much anything that either reduces unwanted pregnancies or gives pregnant women good options that they'd choose instead of abortions could be seen as win-wins by both sides.

... yet significant chunks of the anti-legal-abortion movement oppose these measures. Any anti-abortion effort that involves helping pregnant women instead of punishing them, or respecting them instead of vilifying them, doesn't seem to get political traction... no matter how many abortions it would prevent.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Not so, nor will overturning that bad decision stop abortions. All overturning R vs W will do is return the decisions to the individual states. So some will ban, some not and others in between.
I would think having a system where some states rip away women's rights and others don't would affect the Constitution, as all states are supposed to accept the others' rights.
It seems pretty clinical and emotion free to me.
Why, then, are you arguing that if we watch an abortion and are grossed out about it, we'd be against it?
I was told while in clinicals during an operation that some people faint. Should we ban all surgeries because someone thought it was gross?