• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I'm using correlation and causation, defining terms, establishing common ground. Please don't be contrary just to be so.

If there is no God, man made up God. If there is a God, man didn't make him up. Please explain my false dichotomy here so I may be corrected, and further, so I may apologize to you for my error.
I see you have added strawman to your list of fallacies....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm using correlation and causation, defining terms, establishing common ground. Please don't be contrary just to be so.

If there is no God, man made up God. If there is a God, man didn't make him up. Please explain my false dichotomy here so I may be corrected, and further, so I may apologize to you for my error.
There are other options besides "God is real" and "man made God up from whole cloth". For instance, there are a range of possibilities that are variations on:

- God is an incorrect but understandable inference from a partial understanding of the world, or
- A rudimentary version of god-belief is an artifact of how many people's brains work.

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. There are plenty of reasons why a false belief can develop organically without it being a deliberate fabrication.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
There are other options besides "God is real" and "man made God up from whole cloth". For instance, there are a range of possibilities that are variations on:

- God is an incorrect but understandable inference from a partial understanding of the world, or
- A rudimentary version of god-belief is an artifact of how many people's brains work.

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. There are plenty of reasons why a false belief can develop organically without it being a deliberate fabrication.

I've already considered those possibilities naturally.

God is an incorrect but understandable inference from a partial understanding of the world

comes beneath "Man made God up" if you'd like me to drop "whole cloth" and

A rudimentary version of god-belief is an artifact of how many people's brains work

is a bit more untenable. If we go down this route, I would ask why you are abnormal here. Normal is "God is self-evident".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I've already considered those possiblities naturally.
So you recognized that your dichotomy was false from the get-go?

comes beneath "Man made God up" if you'd like me to drop "whole cloth" and
It isn't what I would call "made up", since "made up" usually implies deliberate fabrication, but I can work with your non-standard definition as long as you use it consistently.

is a bit more untenable. If we go down this route, I would ask why you are abnormal here.
It would be the same sort of "abnormality" as lactose tolerance in adults. That sort of abnormality doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
There are a lot of religious arguments (and general political ones) against abortion. But I think that the argument, generally speaking, demonstrates the scientific illiteracy of the everyman.

So you're against abortion for whatever reason, but consider this argument from Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

"Most abortions are spontaneous and happen naturally within the human body. Most women who have such an abortion never know it because it happens within the first month. It is very, very common. So in fact the biggest abortionist, if god is responsible for what goes on in your body, is god."

Now when he says 'very common' what he means is 50-70%. That's 50-70% of all pregnancies end in a spontaneous abortion that you 1) can't control and 2) are never aware of.

So how is the anti-abortionist stance tenable given this dataset?

I don't think abortion is wrong at all. Their are many reasons for women to have abortions.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So you recognized that your dichotomy was false from the get-go?

It isn't what I would call "made up", since "made up" usually implies deliberate fabrication, but I can work with your non-standard definition as long as you use it consistently.

It would be the same sort of "abnormality" as lactose tolerance in adults. That sort of abnormality doesn't worry me in the slightest.

You are rude despite my attempting to find common ground with you re: "whole cloth". You are the sort of sophist interested in picking apart every word. Are you interested in meaningful, joint conversation?

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Because some christians don't believe women have rights. Here in Utah it is very hard to get an abortion so you will have to go to another state to get it. http://www.liberatedoflucifer.org/abortion.html

That's not true and you know it. Try again. In the meantime you can give links that show your assumption about "some Christians don't believe women have rights." I call BS on this. It is true that some Christians don't think women or men have the right to murder their pre-born child but not that women do not have rights.

You're a follower of Satan, I have no doubt about that.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
That's not true and you know it. Try again. In the meantime you can give links that show your assumption about "some Christians don't believe women have rights." I call BS on this. It is true that some Christians don't think women or men have the right to murder their pre-born child but not that women do not have rights.

You're a follower of Satan, I have no doubt about that.
Oh I know it alright. Some will shame a woman for having an abortion.