• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion. Should the government decide or the people

who should decide the fate of abortion

• the government

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • the people

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • both

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You disagree with "A woman's own fertility does not belong to the government and it does not belong to other people."?? How do you justify that?

Late term 3rd trimester unnecessary for the health of the mother or/and the health of the fetus abortion. Yes, they are rare and I fully support 1st trimester and some 2nd trimester abortion. I am nether pro-choice nor pro-life. :)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you think our government(state and federal) should be able to pass the laws they want on abortion(a ban for example) or put it to the people for a vote?
I think it should be a medical matter between a woman and her doctor. Should an appendectomy be put up to a vote?

Should naming your children be put up to a vote? Should choosing who you marry be put up to a vote? Should interracial marriages be a state matter? Should blacks being allowed to vote be a matter for the states to choose? Should women being allowed to vote be up to the states? I see a slippery slope here with all of these.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Do you think our government(state and federal) should be able to pass the laws they want on abortion(a ban for example) or put it to the people for a vote?

We should give as much freedom as possible and let people decide if they want to partake or not. That's true freedom.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think it should be a medical matter between a woman and her doctor. Should an appendectomy be put up to a vote?

Should naming your children be put up to a vote? Should choosing who you marry be put up to a vote? Should interracial marriages be a state matter? Should blacks being allowed to vote be a matter for the states to choose? Should women being allowed to vote be up to the states? I see a slippery slope here with all of these.

And sadly, there is a minority of people who would like to overturn these things.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sadly though, with the Electoral College, it's not. Tiny states with declining populations full of old white people are deciding for us.
Whoever wins the vote is the voice of the people. You can change the law if it is not working satisfactorily - Amendments.
We have made 105 changes in our Constitution since its adoption on January 26, 1950.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Generally speaking it is up to the governments (as in all of the branches) to say what are the constitutional rights. I don't see any reason why it would be different on this particular case.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Whenever we are talking about rights the goverment is always involved to decree it's existence or not. Otherwise any random person could just show up and decide that you don't have the right to do something. What would you do then?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Whenever we are talking about rights the goverment is always involved to decree it's existence or not. Otherwise any random person could just show up and decide that you don't have the right to do something. What would you do then?
When we are talking about medical procedures for yourself, that is not someone deciding their rights for them. It's not a right granted. It's a right protected.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
When we are talking about medical procedures for yourself, that is not someone deciding their rights for them. It's not a right granted. It's a right protected.

I disagree with the entire concept of natural rights on the same grounds that I don't believe in God. But putting that aside for a moment, a right protected by who? The government. And what happens if the government doesn't recognize a certain right? It won't be effectively protected (generally speaking of course). And it is either up to vote which rights are going to granted or recognized, or going to be unilaterally decided by some kind of dictator.